Start Small

JimK

This forum seems to attract those who love Big Rigs.  I would like to express an alternative viewpoint.  I am not a regular on these forums so I really don't care if I offend the regulars. 

You do not need to start with a rig that is 50 feet long and weighs 10 tons or more.  You do not need to take classes in driving the equivalent of a semi tractor trailer.  You don't need to spend your RV time in the equivalent of a mobile home or "RV" park.  Think about what is important to you when you "camp", make a few compromises and get by with a bit less than the RV salesman wants to sell.  Fortunately I have a wife that is on the same wavelength.  We wanted to travel so that meant as small as feasible. 

We did want some comforts.  We had no interest in "camping".  Our interests were a comfortable and convenient place to live while we traveled.  We also had some constraints on budget.  A million dollar Class A was not under consideration....ever.  So we narrowed it down:  a comfortable Queen sized foam mattress, heat, A/c if needed, a decent fridge, 3-4 burner stove, toilet, a shower, hot water, good lighting, storage for 4 seasons of clothing, and comfortable places to sit at the end of the day.  We gave up on having a washer/dryer, an oven, easy chairs, etc., etc., etc.  We spent two years full time living in a relatively small truck camper without slides.  It worked for us.  We had our comforts and we kept our rig small enough to fit into a regular parking spot.  Everyone is different in what they want in an RV...and in life.  My only advice is to think it through and not be sucked in by what the RV industry wants to sell.  BTW, most of what is sold is JUNK.  It is poorly built, does not last, is not well engineered, and leaks.  All the more reason to keep with a less than bloated unit.    

There we go.  A poster who uses a tractor that is designed to pull an 80,000 pound 18 wheeler.  That is a choice that might fit you, but you should not have to scratch your head to realize that it might not be a great choice for others.

You seem to want to argue with someone, but I'm not sure who.

You "narrowed it down" to:  a comfortable Queen sized foam mattress, heat, A/c if needed, a decent fridge, 3-4 burner stove, toilet, a shower, hot water, good lighting, storage for 4 seasons of clothing, and comfortable places to sit at the end of the day. 

I dare say that you're in line with about 99% of Rv'ers, ourselves included. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

15 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

You seem to want to argue with someone, but I'm not sure who.

I dare say that you're in line with about 99% of Rv'ers, ourselves included. 

I am not looking for an argument just stating an alternative point of view that seems rare on this forum.  Let me think how does what I wrote match 99% of RV'ers, yourselves included?  Somehow I cannot get past the 10 ton  unit you consider to be "in line".  Did you opt for the washer/dryer combo on your hitchhiker?

My trailer weighs around 15K and we do not have a washer dryer. But if you want to place me into your offensive "Big Rig" category, go ahead. The unit that we carefully selected is well built, well engineered, does not leak, and will likely last us a good long time. 

You seem completely satisfied with your choices, as am I. Good for us!!

So exactly what is your point??  On one hand folks are buying rigs that are too big and heavy for your taste, but on the other hand most of what is being sold is junk?? 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I don't consider my Teton junk. We did find a lot of sub standard units when we were shopping. We have a 10 ton 5th wheel camper. Tow it with a 9 ton truck. Everything we saw light was "junk" as you put it. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

7 hours ago, JimK said:

I am not looking for an argument just stating an alternative point of view that seems rare on this forum.  

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!  Says the guy who started the thread with this; " I am not a regular on these forums so I really don't care if I offend the regulars. "

So, you're not looking for an argument, but you don't care if you offend some people.  PUH-Leeze.

If you had not written the first paragraph of your thread starter, you wouldn't have come across as an ass.  But you did...and you did.

5 hours ago, JimK said:

I think you and the other posters have only proved the point.  A beginner looking for advice and options is only likely to see bigger is better. 

Sir, you clearly have an agenda.  I've owned just about every kind of RV over my almost 60 years of camping.  When I owned a particular model AND that manufacturer had a Forum for its owners, I would spend some time there.  On occasion,  I've even visited rv.net.  In the end, I have learned that without question, the Escapees Forum provides the most informed and unbiased information of any RV site on the Web.  I can say that in unequivocal terms.  I for one have never experienced the philosophy which you seem to rail against.  There's something for everyone here; big and small and that's part of the attraction I have for these folks.  Maybe you're just confused? 

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

5 hours ago, JimK said:

I think you and the other posters have only proved the point.  A beginner looking for advice and options is only likely to see bigger is better. 

“There is nothing to be learned from the second kick of a mule.” –- Mark Twain

I would say that some of the difference is that you must have had a home you went back to, or all of your things in storage.  Some of us full-timers carry what we want with us.  We have no home where we keep things or storage facility storing things until we decide to stop being full-timers.   When it is your lifestyle and not just for a short time you also want your craft items, tools, hobby material or supplies etc.   To each their own as it doesn't bother me if someone doesn't like a bigger rig and wants to live in whatever. Have even met some who only have a regular van and a tent.

Pat DeJong

I want what I want, so I get it. I want some space, a w/d, several TVs, and all the other things you think I shouldn't want. Tough...you get what you want, and I'll get what I want. It's that simple.

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver-(the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ
2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

It appears the OP has not been to the part of the forums about Class B and Class C rigs. Lots of people there living small. Including my husband and I when we were on the road. Three of our four motorhomes were build on the Sprinter chassis. Our first Class B had all he listed as necessary including a queen-sized bed. If he was a regular here he would have seen how often we refer people to blogs about going small including those of RV Sue's Casita and Bob Well's van. I'm sorry he is so angry about something but I don't think it is really this forum. I hope he can let go of his anger and begin to enjoy the freedom of this lifestyle.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

This gentleman reminds us of many of the Casita forum members when we owned our Casita.  They would pretty much refer to any 5th wheel, Class A or larger travel trailer as "sun blockers" and criticize the occupants for sitting inside enjoying their respective pursuits instead of having to sit outside when weather permits.  As former fulltimers having lived in a 30ft Airstream trailer and a 40ft Foretravel, we never did fit in.  JimK, you are welcome to join us further down this forum to the RV Types Section and look at the Class B and Class C threads.  But, please leave the drama behind; there isn't room for much when one is living small. . .just sayin'.

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

What this gentleman is is a Troll... Jumps on a forum starts some obnoxious crap and leaves... or doesn't sign in to read the responses.  Then he goes to another forum and tells all about the argument he had here and how out of line we are.  

So come on back TROLL... I wanna play today....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

19 hours ago, JimK said:

This forum seems to attract those who love Big Rigs.  I would like to express an alternative viewpoint.  I am not a regular on these forums so I really don't care if I offend the regulars. 

All the more reason to keep with a less than bloated unit.    

Hey Jimmy.......your sound so.........."P R E S I D E N T I A L"............ya got my vote and.......... my-rig-iz-2-BiG......Sowe-I-NO-tha-feelin........

Drive on........(enjoy your .........smallness....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

3 hours ago, LFDR3116 said:

I would say that some of the difference is that you must have had a home you went back to, or all of your things in storage.  Some of us full-timers carry what we want with us.  We have no home where we keep things or storage facility storing things until we decide to stop being full-timers.   When it is your lifestyle and not just for a short time you also want your craft items, tools, hobby material or supplies etc.   To each their own as it doesn't bother me if someone doesn't like a bigger rig and wants to live in whatever. Have even met some who only have a regular van and a tent.

I guess I understand.  I was confused and thought this was a forum for those beginning to enjoy RVing.  I did not realize it was a forum for those who are beginning to full time.

I guess by your explanation I was not much of a full timer.  I left behind a storage locker with furniture that my wife's grandfather made, her portfolio including hundreds of paintings and some large sculptures, and also my collection of replica antique firearms.  We did bring lots of "craft items" and some hobby materials including lots of photography gear, archery equipment and art supplies.   

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

It appears the OP has not been to the part of the forums about Class B and Class C rigs. Lots of people there living small. Including my husband and I when we were on the road. ......

I don't have a class b or class c so I have not participated.  I did notice there are over 50,000 posts about heavy duty trucks and about 200 posts regarding class b RVs.  From what I see in campgrounds and RV parks, the ratio should be reversed. 

2 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

After I read the original post, I did the appropriate thing and simply blocked receiving any further posts from this individual.  Nuff said.:huh:

What this gentleman is is a Troll... Jumps on a forum starts some obnoxious crap and leaves... or doesn't sign in to read the responses.  Then he goes to another forum and tells all about the argument he had here and how out of line we are.  

So come on back TROLL... I wanna play today....

I agree

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

55 minutes ago, JimK said:

I don't have a class b or class c so I have not participated.  I did notice there are over 50,000 posts about heavy duty trucks and about 200 posts regarding class b RVs.  From what I see in campgrounds and RV parks, the ratio should be reversed. 

Just maybe that's because the big rigs have more problems or that the folks who own them are simply more sociable or could it be that the little rig folks are ashamed of what they have ? 

I don't know . It matters only to those that are concerned with which ever problem they happen to have .

As for your misconception of what this forum is about , well , spend some time here . Keep an open mind while you observe and appreciate what is offered , even if it isn't what you happen to need at the moment .

Goes around , comes around .

Archived