Stow Bay Door Lock Upgrade

The TT we just purchased has single key locks on one side with a non-lock latch on the opposite.  Certainly anyone that really wants into an RV stow bay door will likely gain access, but these just seem to be a bit on the too easy side. While I'm doing a little searching on DIY upgrades, I thought I'd ask the forum about it.

Even better, I'm sure your locks use a 751 key and every one of your neighbors has the same key for their locks.  On my last trailer that used those locks,  I upgraded to better wing handled locks that both locked and acted as a latch when unlocked.  I can't remember the make of them off the top of my head, but I probably have it in my records if you want the information.  They were definitely a better lock and used a unique (not the same one everyone else has) key, but I don't know that they were any more secure.  It is quite easy to pry open a storage door on the typical TT or 5er even when it is locked.  That prying is going to cause a lot of unwanted damage.  Theft in the RV community is not a big issue (other than maybe while the unit is at a storage lot).  I don't know that I would do the upgrade again.  It did give me a little peace of mind, but I'm not sure how effective it actually was for the price.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I have found theft rare and I've been all over.  If something is missing, it is generally where I last left it.  I've even left my Progressive 50 amp surge protector and a 30 am dogbone behind on separate occasions.

I've put "Tiles" on keys, in my wallet, programmed the cel phone, just in case they get misplaced.  Black on black disappears in the car.  I also put yellow New Mexico tags on my keys....all to take the stupid out of it.

I do lockup the bike and cover it.

I also do a walkaround after pulling out of the pad, both the pad and the rig to make sure everything is locked or stowed and nothing left behind....including a note on the steering wheel to drop the sat dish.

We have traveled in RV's since 1972 and I am not aware of any RV having had storage bays broken into. We did experience one break-in with our class A back in 1999, but they burgled the main entry and it was done with the motorhome sitting on a pad at the end of our house in Ft. Worth. Not one time have we heard of an RV broken into and we have not only traveled in an RV but have served as campground hosts on multiple occasions. I can't even remember a report of theft from a tent in one of our campgrounds. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The only issue I have had with theft was earlier this year when my bicycle was stolen in the night in Florida. The bike was not locked up and was behind our camper....easy pickings. The thief was likely very disappointed with the old clunker bike, anyway. Now I have a new, better and more shiny bike, so I guess I should start locking it up at night. I guess that is a pretty good record, since we have been camping since the 70's.       Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Same here in many years of Rv'ing we have never known anyone who suffered theft from the RV. We can change the locks if that makes you feel  better but a screw driver and 30 seconds will get me into any compartment. Make that 15 seconds.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I have upgraded to round key locks on a few of my RVs, they are easier to operate.  I/we lock them as part of our departure checklist.  This was added to the checklist after we got flagged down my a passing motorist that the bay door had come open.  By using the checklist to ensure the doors are locked, we dont have that happen anymore.  I guess leaving them unlatched, which was our habit at the time, when we were in a CG, was something that caught up to us.  So now they get locked and then we know that they are latched.

Marcel

Archived