Chaswick

Mdt and fifth wheel

21 posts in this topic

I m going to look at a 2000freightliner l60 with 97k one owner miles and a 2012 landmark. They are asking $60k for the pair. Does this seem like a fair price?

The truck is 18 years old and time/age is the worst enemy for any vehicle. How long do you plan to keep the truck, another 5 years?

Greg

Price might be a little high.  Check for records on the truck.  If maintenance has been kept up, I wouldn't be afraid of it.  If it's been sitting awhile, plan on replacing some of the rubber on the truck.  We have a '98 Volvo that is our daily driver, 513k miles.

We will be listing our 98 Volvo VNL610 + 2006 Newmar Cypress SKCL in a week or so.

I'll have more details soon. Price abt $33k for the pair.

Soon as possible,  will you please send me the info and if possible,  pictures?

2 hours ago, Chaswick said:

Soon as possible,  will you please send me the info and if possible,  pictures?

I will do that. I'll PM you directly if that is ok.

Assume you mean a FL60.  Is is a reg truck or a sport chassis ?

With that mileage, as long as it has been maintained and not rusty, sounds like a power puff and will have many years of use.  MDTs are not in the same league as LGTs..  that age is NOT a problem..and you want pre '08 anyway to avoid teh DEP and electronics on the engine.

However, need to know the specs..air brakes or hydraulic, engines. Can you post more ?

Contrary to opinion, there are some advantages to buying a mdt over a hdt..

It's has air brakes, air ride seats and is spotless inside and out. I am only worried because I know nothing about diesels. It has the 300horse power caterpillar motor.

Edited by Chaswick

13 hours ago, Grassy said:

Contrary to opinion, there are some advantages to buying a mdt over a hdt..

There are advantages/disadvantages to all of the different sizes/classes of tow vehicles.  The trick is to understand the advantages/disadvantages of each class for your specific needs/use so you can evaluate what will work best for you.

Rick,

Bingo.

Chaswick... it sounds similar to mine..it probably has a cat 3126b engine which is very common and good for 4-500 K miles before you need to have a head job.. we are quite impressed..

But as Rick says, "understand the advantages/disadvantages of each class for your specific needs/use so you can evaluate what will work best for you."

PM me directly if you have any specific questions,.

For a size comparison..

i-LbrfKhV-L.jpg

Don't really know where to begin. Yes it is quite a lot like yours. I have heard many horror stories about freightliner and because I know nothing about deisels I am weary. But after looking it over it seems to be a great truck and it looks and sounds like new. I plan on going to look at it again this weekend. Am going to drive it for the first time. If it's ok with you i will probably have more questions?

All trucks have horror stories,,,,the worse ones I have heard have been ford diesels.. but what you  you don't normally hear from are the happy folks.. if you drove a pre '09 diesel pusher, it was most likely a cat 3126 but I suspect there are many other brands out there..

Go on the trailer forums...the stories are truly scary..

My rig was my first diesel as well..and I bought mine sight unseen on the other side of the country.  I doubt if I will ever go back to hauling with a pick up..

Allison or Eaton trans ? 

Check the date code on the tires..important.

What type of 5th hitch ?

I will send you my e-mail addy.

Ian.

On 6/15/2017 at 11:58 AM, Grassy said:

All trucks have horror stories,,,,the worse ones I have heard have been ford diesels.. but what you  you don't normally hear from are the happy folks.. if you drove a pre '09 diesel pusher, it was most likely a cat 3126 but I suspect there are many other brands out there..

Go on the trailer forums...the stories are truly scary..

My rig was my first diesel as well..and I bought mine sight unseen on the other side of the country.  I doubt if I will ever go back to hauling with a pick up..

Allison or Eaton trans ? 

Check the date code on the tires..important.

What type of 5th hitch ?

I will send you my e-mail addy.

Ian.

Took my mechanic out to look at freightliner,  he went over the whole thing, crawled up underneath it. He said he can't believe it is 17 years old, said the bottom of the engine is spotless. No leaks and looks like it's a year old. Said the tires and breaks will outlive me. All he could find wrong was the mirrors needed new grommets. 

Have tried to post pics but it tells me they are too big and I am not savvy enough to figure out how to get around it. The tires are 2 years old.

Wad just told that the tires on the truck are 5 years old and the tires on the fifth wheel are original,  fifth wheel is 2012. ??? I am under the assumption that this means the truck tires are good for a few more years and the fifth wheel tires are overdue to be changed?

Edited by Chaswick

Check the date codes on the tires to know for sure.  Do not just take someone's word for it.  Even tire stores have been non to sell tires with several year old date codes as brand new, unbeknownst to the buyer unless they know how to check the date codes.