Campground Directory

Does anyone still use the old paperback campground/RV Park directories and, if so, which one?  Our smart phones are a bit on the low end of the latest and greatest... no, I take that back, they may be THE low end. :D  Is Woodall's still considered the best directory?  It looks like they are owned by Good Sam and you can get a discount on them if you are a member.  We haven't yet joined any of the RV Clubs, but I have a prior thread in which many offered their advice on those.The 2017 edition is available from Amazon for $20.  While we'll certainly try and use our cell phones to make reservations while in route, we like the idea of having a current edition of whatever is commonly considered the best "old school" method of getting campground information.

I keep copies of the current KOA and Good Sam directories in my RV.  I have these because I get them as part of my membership in those organizations.  I don't use them very often, but they have come in handy when we are traveling, looking for a stop over or something and there is no internet coverage.  Most of the time, we just use our phones and the internet.  I haven't joined passport america or any other organizations yet, so these are the only two books I have currently.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Haven't carried a paper directory in years. I am still using MS Streets and Trips which does not require an internet connection. It came with the Woodall's/Good Sam directory information installed. I have downloaded the locations (which often includes phone numbers) of over 30,000 RV parks/campgrounds from the POI Factory, Discovery Owners Forums, Ultimate Public Campground Project, US Campgrounds and other sources. That data can be converted to a GPX file and loaded on a compatible GPS unit or there are USB GPS pucks that allow using the computer and Streets & Trips as a GPS. Some, other mapping programs have similar capabilities. I am just starting to explore using Garmin Basecamp. It will import GPX files so I have been able to load all the campground POIs into it.

Passport America use to give the option of a CD copy of their directory, not sure if they still do. The Escapees Travel Guide use to be available for download as a PDF file. When I just looked, I did not see that option, but still have a couple of past year versions on the computer.

Another option might be Kindle Versions of Directories. If you don't have a Kindle, you can download a Kindle reader to a PC for free.

We also haven't bought an RV campground directory in years, mostly because we spend our time boondocking, not in RV parks.  But when we did, we used both.  I actually liked the Woodall's regional directories the best (the Western edition) because they were much smaller than the Trailer Life one.

However, both of those directories have now merged and have become the Good Sam RV Travel & Savings Guide.  As far as I know, they no longer publish any regional directories.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Archived