Turn off Win10 updates

fortytwo

I'm on a MIFI for the next 5 months, and the Win10 updates are wiping my time allotment out.  It's a real hassle to get back on line as Verizon programmers aren't bright enough to reactivate your account when you add money.  I had 2.5 gigs left one night, next couldn't get online.  I think there is a way to delay updates until you get to a wifi network, but can't find it, and can't remember how.

Can anyone refresh my memory, or tell me it's not possible.  I found a way to stop restarts, but not the inopportune downloads.  Pity with all the bright folks MS has hired they can't produce an update without a multi-gig download and a restart.

Might as well buy some more "gigs" for all of the future updates from Microsoft. They're constantly having them.

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

On my win 10 computer I go to Windows settings> Network and Internet> Wifi> Manage known networks> Select your Mifi from the list> Properties> Scroll down to "metered connections"> click the "On Off" button to "On" and you should be good to go.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

pjstough, thanks.  That was what I couldn't remember.  If that doesn't stop the downloads I'll follow Chalkie's advice and turn all updates off.  I'm not very vulnerable as Windows is the only MS program I use.  Never use Office, Outlook, or Edge.

Archived