2013 VOLVO 660??

dssamuels

I located a 2013 Volvo 660 with the I Shift and D13 engine. It has 550,000 miles. It is located in Texas The dealer is currently offering to sell it for $32k.   I have a few questions about the 660 and hope that you all can help me.  I realize that the sleeper is smaller. It does have the two bunks but does it have a work station/dinette?  I assume the actual bunks are still the same length?  Its just the length of the sleeper is shorter??

Are there any other key items that set it apart from the 780 that cause some to avoid them.  I read about the differences on Jack's site and the resource guide but was wondering if there was anything else I am missing?   My wife is still leaning toward the 780 because of the dinette but if I can get this truck at a good price, it may be worth it.  I also wanted to thank Richard (Heavymetal) for all his help.

Thanks so much for any and all guidance. You can also call me at 860.234.8203 or email at davidssamuels@aol.com

Dave

The big difference between a 670 & 780 is the depth of the sleeper.  The sleeper is around a foot deeper.  You will not have as much storage space in the 670 vs the 780.  That foot of depth may not sound like a lot but it is. I was amazed when cleaning out our 780 how much stuff we had tucked away in all the different cabinets.  670's typically are used by fleets so easier to find.  780's are typically used by O/O so they tend to have more options and features.

Best advise is you and wife go a look at both models.  Both get in the truck & sleeper at the same time so you can see up close how that difference in going to make to y'all and your situation.  When we decided to go the HDT route we both went to various truck dealerships just so we could see the difference between all the different makes and models before we decided that the 780 was best of our needs and desires.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

The 780 is also about 5" wider in the condo area. Some 670 (it is a 670, not a 660) trucks do have the workstation. You should easily see that in the pictures. But if it does not it really is not worth the effort and expense to add it. Just look for something that meets your needs. The 670 is the most common Volvo, by far. That makes them more available and cheaper. The 730 is the least common Volvo. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

10 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

The 780 is also about 5" wider in the condo area. Some 670 (it is a 670, not a 660) trucks do have the workstation. You should easily see that in the pictures. But if it does not it really is not worth the effort and expense to add it. Just look for something that meets your needs. The 670 is the most common Volvo, by far. That makes them more available and cheaper. The 630 is the least common Volvo. 

I always thought the 730 was the least common one since it's the mid roof, but long sleeper? I love the look of the 730, but they seem to be the hardest to come by? The 630 is the shorter mid roof sleeper. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Thanks for the replies!  The paperwork on the truck (just the dealer paperwork they sent me along with pictures) had it listed as a 660. I see though that it is really a 670.  Based on your responses and the condo being narrower and shorter, I am going to pass on it and keep searching.  The work station is also a huge selling point to us so it seems the Cascadia is also out. I understand that the work station is only available in their newer trucks. Thanks again!

If anyone has any leads on a decent 780, please let me know.  We are trying to keep the budget between $30-$50k, including the cost of adding the hitch, jackolopee, and brake controller.        

Dave

Are you planning on singling? Also you need to add good fenders, like a Minimizer. And probably improve the rear lighting. That is the minimum to use as an RV hauler. Likely you will also want a hitch camera with monitor in the truck. That will get you going.

Blue, you are right, the 730 is  the least produced model of the major lines - typo, I changed it.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

I am not planning on singling it immediately.  I will definitely also add the fenders and a rear hitch camera. I will likely add a temporary bed/platform while i figure things out with respect to our needs.  Since we still have young children, the Smart is out of the picture. The main purpose of the HDT is for the 4-6 month cross country trip with the family. Then, it will be used for more regional camping trips.     Thanks!  

Since you're not intending to single right away, you might poke around a salvage yard or two and find a truck bed, or box, that can carry your "stuff" and negate the need for fenders.  There's lots of different bed/box configurations floating around here.  They're not all pretty, or pricey, but they do the job.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

If your looking for a 630 these look good. Don't know anything about them except the ad. 

https://mhc.com/trucks/i0358105

2014 VNL630

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

6 hours ago, Rick & Alana said:

If your looking for a 630 these look good. Don't know anything about them except the ad. 

https://mhc.com/trucks/i0358105

2014 VNL630

Just be sure that if you want tank fairings, or even "think" that you might want them in the future, that you buy a truck with them on. Because it is no fun retrofitting them, and it is incredibly expensive for the "benefit". Plus, it is harder to sell a truck without tank fairings.   JMO.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Thanks for sending the link regarding the 630s. We need the double bunk and really would like to get the workstation. So, I think the 630 is out. We are really leaning toward the 780/770. If you see or know of a good one, please let me know.

Thanks!!!

Archived