Sugru moldable glue?

Yarome

Its popular in the hobby world, I plan on using it when I come across a project I can think of to apply it to.  Target sells it in store so I keep that in the back of my mind in case I need it immediately.  I have considered using it to make an adapter valve for my electric air pump to a special inflatable standup paddleboard valve, basically by molding both sides together.  

15 minutes ago, dartmouth01 said:

Its popular in the hobby world,

Is it a well known and proven product? It hardly takes a glance around the house and I could identify more than a half dozen applications and fixes for something like that.. but does it really work?

It's not cheap much, but watching a couple for their youtubes videos.. I could certainly buy it by the quarter gallon. :D

I'm curious how long it's been around and really how long lasting it is in normal applications. Any insight on that end? Does it really hold a bond? Remains in shape after curing in higher temps?

From a recent Consumer Reports review:

What we found. As we expected, a pack doesn’t go very far. Sugru sticks adequately to non-porous surfaces but not as well as a true adhesive. It isn’t as soft as some other silicones once cured, and it’s not especially strong. And while you can compress it without problems, it didn’t handle stretching well.

Bottom line. We wouldn’t use Sugru where failure of the bond could create a safety or health issue. But in cases where filling a gap is essential, a structure requires some reinforcement, or surfaces don’t align well, we found it fun and useful—there are many situations where the usual adhesives wouldn’t apply. Still, we recommend it for non-critical repair tasks.

The complete review can be found at:  http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/03/sugru-silicone-rubber-adhesive-sticks-to-its-claims/index.htm

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

• 2 months later...

Thanks, mptjelginI must have missed your reply the first time around. (I seem to be doing that a LOT with this new forum format.)

I picked some up and did a couple of small projects. Only time will tell if the adhesion "stays", but it was certainly easy enough to work with. I can confirm that it's a bit "harder" than silicon and not quite as flexible as one might think, but that also might have to do with how thick you put it on (?) It's closer to a firm plastic than silicon, but does stick where you stuck it.

I reinforced my laptop cord and stuck tabs on the bottom of some other items to help prevent "travel chatter".

I will say that one package goes further than I thought. As a comparison I also ordered a different brand from China for $ .99 a pack. I couldn't tell any difference between their stuff and the Sugru brand. Over time... who knows, but I didn't do any "critical" repairs so no harm no foul.

I'll definately be picking up some more once I get a few projects lined up.

44 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

It sounds like it would be handy to keep a pack or two around.

Looks to be. Not trying to show off my "molding skills" (I didn't really care what it looked like)... or my photography either... but this is one entire package to give an idea of just how much is actually in a pack. It's a fairly decent sized laptop power cord to begin with.

I've been thinking of moving my shower head wall clamp and plan on ordering some white to use to fill the old screw holes once I can figure out some other projects to use white on. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up to heat and moisture. It would be great not to have to mess with a tube of caulk for such a minor project.

DSCN0239.JPG

Guess I have to change my review. I'm no longer impressed. Just a couple of days... and being very careful with the laptop cord (that wasn't really in need of repair)... it's already cracked through the thinner middle section.

Possibly it's more of a "soft" harder plastic that couldn't withstand any type of bending. It's possible I put it on too heavily so that it cured more rigid than anticipated, but the plug and fuse sized remain intact.

For a "static" repair, like filling a screw hole it might still be of value, but flexibility seems to have gone out the window... :huh:

DSCN0241.JPG

Archived