5th Wheel towing and States CDL Req

Outofdoors

3 hours ago, WLee said:

Louisiana has a non medical card CDL. And a M restriction CDL for tractors under 26,000 lb GVW.

Have you looked at the people that qualify for that "intrastate use only" CDL? It is specifically for people who do not need to meet the Federal standards for a medical certificate. The rest of the requirements apply. The only examples listed are "city, municipal and state employees". In other words: firemen, prison bus drivers, etc. Their CDL will have a "K" restriction (that's a Federally required mandated restriction, btw) indicating "intrastate" use only.  And Louisiana's "M" restriction allows a person to operate a Class B "passenger vehicle". This would indicate the driver is restricted to a Class B vehicle (single vehicle, in excess of 26,001 lbs). Kinda makes sense if you think about it. When was the last time you saw a Greyhound bus towing a 10000 lb trailer? You are aware that Louisiana's restrictions all changed a year or so ago, aren't you? That's when the Feds ordered all states to use the same restrictions on their cdl's, for better uniformity. I couldn't locate any LA restriction relating to any vehicle less that 26000 lbs except for Class C passenger carrying vehicles (restriction "N") or hazmat carrying vehicles when the driver tested in a vehicle less than 26000 lbs GVWR (restriction "55" ). Seems to me that giving them a Class C cdl would accomplish the same thing.

This info really isn't hard to find in the law or the States web pages. It is a lot more accurate than www.truckingtruth.com also.

This thread really is becoming too much like work. I wonder if I can claim overtime and tell my Sergeant I was conducting an educational seminar on CDL's. Eh, probably not :(

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived