5th Wheel towing and States CDL Req

Outofdoors

We're thinking of a new 5th Wheel to replace our Carriage Cameo. It was heavy but I tow it with a Chevy 2500HD Duramax. We were looking to step up to a Mobile Suiites, but the weights are looking like I'm in CDL territory (at least in CT, our present locale). Anyone know of  state where we could tow such a rig, with a Duelly with no CDL?

In your decision to pick a home state, the drivers licenses issue would be at best a mid/low level concern. State income tax and state address requirements would be a bigger concern. I got the full CDL A class licenses with air brakes, hadzmat, double tankers, and bus endorsements which is way over kill (my personal choice). The point is, even a full CDL licenses wasn't that hard to get, so any licenses endorsement required by your state for a RV should be easily attainable for most people.

Greg

3 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

South Dakota

Texas

Many others, check here for more

http://www.hhrvresource.com/node/44

Not true on Texas. Over 26K a Class A Exempt (non-commercial) driver's license is required.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

5 hours ago, Second Chance said:

Not true on Texas. Over 26K a Class A Exempt (non-commercial) driver's license is required.

Rob

So, everyone should get one. The information is valuable

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

8 hours ago, Second Chance said:

Rob

But an EXEMPT Class A is not commercial correct?  For the test did you have to follow the entire CDL inspection series, do a complete pre-trip inspection, commercial road test only to have the examiner say "None of that matters- you're EXEMPT?"  Or did you drive a square, back between some cones and have your picture taken? 

So if the OP went to Texas, he would not need a CDL..... like the big boys do.... Or am I wrong here?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

14 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

But an EXEMPT Class A is not commercial correct?  For the test did you have to follow the entire CDL inspection series, do a complete pre-trip inspection, commercial road test only to have the examiner say "None of that matters- you're EXEMPT?"  Or did you drive a square, back between some cones and have your picture taken? 

So if the OP went to Texas, he would not need a CDL..... like the big boys do.... Or am I wrong here?

When he corrected himself, he said, "...with regular driver license." I merely wanted him to know that a regular Class C license wouldn't cut it and that there was something else required. Didn't mean to offend.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I'm not sure I understand the issue. If you are capable of driving your rig, no matter what it is, why does it matter what "class" of license you need? Go take the test for your rig. Its a one time thing and you are done. Although most states do not require a "C"DL some do require an upgraded one like Rob and Jim are saying, but SO WHAT? It's not a hard test and I surely hope that you are not worried about failing the test. If you are, then I suggest you get a tent. Otherwise, relocate to the PLACE that suits you and then do what they require.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

8 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I failed the written test the first time. ? Should I get a tent? 

You will have to build a new rack for that mini-split, if you do get a tent ;)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

On 6/5/2017 at 1:37 PM, Outofdoors said:

We're thinking of a new 5th Wheel to replace our Carriage Cameo. It was heavy but I tow it with a Chevy 2500HD Duramax. We were looking to step up to a Mobile Suiites, but the weights are looking like I'm in CDL territory (at least in CT, our present locale). Anyone know of  state where we could tow such a rig, with a Duelly with no CDL?

Become a resident of Oregon and you can tow anything RV with a standard class C............But you have to pay every kind of tax EXCEPT a sales tax.....yet

Drive on..........(drive any RC with a class C...........but you gotta pay the taxes)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I know this is a bit of an odd question, but can a person with a regular Florida driver's license legally drive an HDT registered as a motorhome in Texas (with or without a 5th wheel behind it)?  I'm thinking yes but would like to see if there's something I don't know.

3 hours ago, oldbutspry said:

I know this is a bit of an odd question, but can a person with a regular Florida driver's license legally drive an HDT registered as a motorhome in Texas (with or without a 5th wheel behind it)?  I'm thinking yes but would like to see if there's something I don't know.

You can if FL regulations allow you to drive such a vehicle on the class license you hold. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I posted this in another thread of the same name.

Remember the "C" in CDL means commercial it is a Commercial drivers license  that is required by the Federal Government if you are driving Commercial or for hire... Pulling a RV for pleasure is NOT commercial and a CDL is NOT required. Some states have a CDL but it is not really a CDL just a way for the State to make some money from Rv'ers.

In fact if you work for a RV transporter company you ARE required to have the Federal CDL because you are pulling Commercial

If you hold  a so called CDL from one of the States that require it for a RV and decide to  jump in a 18 wheeler and  pull commercial...you will arrested.  The  State CDL is worthless. I have held a real CDL for years.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

23 hours ago, richfaa said:

I posted this in another thread of the same name.

Remember the "C" in CDL means commercial it is a Commercial drivers license  that is required by the Federal Government if you are driving Commercial or for hire... Pulling a RV for pleasure is NOT commercial and a CDL is NOT required. Some states have a CDL but it is not really a CDL just a way for the State to make some money from Rv'ers.

In fact if you work for a RV transporter company you ARE required to have the Federal CDL because you are pulling Commercial

If you hold  a so called CDL from one of the States that require it for a RV and decide to  jump in a 18 wheeler and  pull commercial...you will arrested.  The  State CDL is worthless. I have held a real CDL for years.

Huh? Where did you get that from? A CDL issued any state, is a CDL. Please show me any state that issues a CDL that will not allow you to drive commercially. There is no such thing as a "federal" CDL or a "real" CDL. And a state can require it's residents to have whatever license they want in order to allow them to drive an HDT. After all, an HDT is a commercial motor vehicle. It is allowed an exemption to the federal regs based solely on its usage.

Please stop trying to scare people with false information.

2014 smart Fortwo

2 hours ago, Big5er said:

Huh? Where did you get that from? A CDL issued any state, is a CDL. Please show me any state that issues a CDL that will not allow you to drive commercially. There is no such thing as a "federal" CDL or a "real" CDL. And a state can require it's residents to have whatever license they want in order to allow them to drive an HDT. After all, an HDT is a commercial motor vehicle. It is allowed an exemption to the federal regs based solely on its usage.

Please stop trying to scare people with false information.

Why do I need a CDL?

The Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 was signed into law on October 27, 1986. The goal of the Act is to improve highway safety by ensuring that drivers of large trucks and buses are qualified to operate those vehicles and to remove unsafe and unqualified drivers from the highways.

The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has developed and issued standards for testing and licensing commercial motor vehicle drivers. Among other things, the standards require states to issue a Class A CDL to a commercial motor vehicle driver only after the driver passes knowledge and skills tests administered by the state related to the type of vehicle to be operated. Drivers need a CDL license if they are in interstate, intrastate, or foreign commerce.

A CDL is issued by any State but the guidelines are issued by the FHWA.  You can not pull commercial with a Non Commercial CDL. Question Why do we see HDT's pulling RV's with the statement   "not for hire" on them.

"

Licensing

Driving a commercial motor vehicle is a big responsibility. It requires special skills and knowledge. Most drivers must obtain a commercial driver's license (CDL) through their home State (it is illegal to have a license from more than one State). In addition, special endorsements may be required if you or your company drivers will be driving any of the following vehicles:

• a truck with double or triple trailers
  • a truck with a tank
  • a truck carrying hazardous materials
  • a passenger vehicle

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

44 minutes ago, richfaa said:

A CDL is issued by any State but the guidelines are issued by the FHWA.  You can not pull commercial with a Non Commercial CDL. Question Why do we see HDT's pulling RV's with the statement   "not for hire" on them.

What is a "non commercial" CDL? There is no such thing. If it is "non commercial" it is not a COMMERCIAL drivers license. And "Not for hire" has nothing to do with your drivers license. It also does not mean that the vehicle is not commercial. PepsiCo is the largest "not for hire" commercial carrier in this country. They have over 6000 trucks and an equal number of trailers but they are "not for hire". They haul only their own product. 

You still haven't shown me a state issued CDL that is not recognized as a CDL. Just because the Federal regs do not require a CDL to drive an RV, any state can require you to get one. You will NOT be arrested for driving a commercial motor vehicle with a CDL not matter where (US, Mexico and Canada) it was issued. As I said before a "CDL" is a CDL. A "Class A DRIVERS LICENSE" is not a CDL. That is what my state requires to drive an HDT. You are confusing apples with oranges and spreading false information. I will stack my knowledge of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regs against yours any day. Try using the Federal LAW for your facts, not "Trucking truth.com"  . You really should stick with what you know. Just because you read it on the internet doesn't mean it's true. 

2014 smart Fortwo

11 hours ago, Big5er said:

Pre-1986[edit]

Driving commercial motor vehicles (CMVs), which are primarily tractor-trailers (or Longer Combination Vehicles (LCVs)),[2] requires advanced skills and knowledge above and beyond those required to drive a car or other light weight vehicle. Before implementation of the commercial driver's license (CDL) Program in 1986, licensing requirements for driving larger vehicles and buses varied from state to state.

Many drivers were operating motor vehicles that they may not have been trained or qualified to drive.[citation needed] This lack of training resulted in a large number of preventable traffic deaths and accidents.[3]

1986 when the Act became law, all drivers have been required to have a CDL in order to drive a Commercial Motor Vehicle. The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has developed testing standards for licensing drivers. U.S. states are able to issue CDLs only after a written and practical test have been given by the State or approved testing facility' The states issue Commercial CDL according to Federal Standards..... Every  State issued Commercial CDL issued according to federal regulations is good in ALL  states that was the purpose ........Any State can require a special license to operate a RV and several do.They call the Non Commercial CDL. an they are not legal to pull Commercial. The not for hire on a HDT that pulls a RV indicates that truck is NOT for hire, does not pull commercial..... The HDT is not always hooked to a RV and lets anyone of interest know you are not commercial.. You are correct there is no such thing as a Non Commercial CDL as what it says is....Non Commerical...Commerical Drivers license and there is no such thing. BTW My Ohio Drivers License looks exactly like  Regular Ohio Drivers license except across the top it says " Commercial Drivers License" and the endorsements are listed on the back ..School bus, Tanker, etc /Other State may differ I do not know. Some States are going away from the NON Commercial CDL language and going to a RV endorsement on your Regular Drivers license.

This was my original post and perhaps it was not clear enough .

Remember the "C" in CDL means commercial it is a Commercial drivers license  that is required by the Federal Government if you are driving Commercial or for hire... Pulling a RV for pleasure is NOT commercial and a CDL is NOT required. Some states have a CDL but it is not really a CDL just a way for the State to make some money from Rv'ers....(should have said Non Commerical CDL)

If you hold  a so called CDL from one of the States that require it for a RV and decide to  jump in a 18 wheeler and  pull commercial...you will arrested.  The  State CDL is worthless. I have held a real CDL for years.( Should have  said Non Commercial CDL) 

2 hours ago, richfaa said:

Some states have a CDL but it is not really a CDL just a way for the State to make some money from Rv'ers....(should have said Non Commerical CDL)

Maybe you  could give an example of a State which issues a CDL which is not really a CDL.  There is no such animal as a Non Commercial CDL.

All 50 States in the USA offer a CDL which meets or exceeds Federal Standards.  If you have a CDL from any of the 50 States, you can legally drive a commercial vehicle in any of the 50 States and not be arrested or fined or otherwise penalized for simply doing so.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

3 hours ago, chirakawa said:

Maybe you  could give an example of a State which issues a CDL which is not really a CDL.  There is no such animal as a Non Commercial CDL.

We all know that he can not do it, because as you and I have both said, there is no such thing as a non commercial CDL. This is simply a waste of breath (typing).

Rich, can you quote something from a State or Federal regulation rather than some web site that was written by some idiot that wants to sell you a driving course? Every state issues ONE type of CDL. It meets the Federal requirements and is a "real" CDL. If that state chooses to make you obtain a "CDL" to ride a pony, that CDL still meets the Federal requirements. 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived