Truckers Forum - no love there

Vegas Teacher

I recently have been in a truckers forum and asked those guys some questions about the truck. You know they are not the nicest of people in the world and I did not really feel the love from them! I talked about a few codes that came up and wanted to tell them about my truck and the modifications I made on it and what I was going to do with it. Now please understand I bought my truck from a private driver who was my age. He was the owner operator. When I bought it from him and when I went to pick it up from him in Florida he wanted to know all about the modifications I was going to make. He wanted updates on what I was doing and pictures of the progress on the semi. So I figured these regular truckers would be interested in what I was doing with my truck and and give me the same encouragement as Ben, the trucker who I bought from. 

Welllllllllll it was not like that. I got a lot of you are in over head. Don't park at Love's, Travel America Plaza, Flying J or Petro taking the last spot away from a real over the road trucker. You are ruining a good rig, you are a fake and a phony. Much of this came in the form of private e-mails. They would not write this out openly for all to see. It was almost like they felt threatened by us also driving Semi's.

There a lot of trolls out there. I know a lot of great truckers. And I know a few who spend their down time being dicks.

Truckers Report is one of those sites with a lot of A holes on it. Everyone is a super trucker. and if you don't follow the norm or comply with their believes you are an idiot.

I have been in and out of many truck stops, some folks ask questions. Some shake their heads, but most could not give two sh!ts about what the truck is used for, and give it no attention at all.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

I have had mostly positive inter-action/conversations at multiple stops.  Many times I have been told that I have what it takes to pull what I'm pulling.  Multiple questions on the design.  Often asked about my CDL & seem surprised when I tell them it is licensed as a motor home & doesn't require one.  I do stay at FlyingJ and other commercial stops with never an issue.

I don't have a CB & who knows what takes place on the radio when I go down the road.  I often times get a wave from passing truckers & usually get a courtesy flash when I let them know it's safe to pull back in.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

We have gotten mostly only positive signs from almost all truckers, if getting fuel they approach with lots of questions, now we rarely spend a night in a truck stop mostly fuel and a lunch break but have never felt any negativity from them. Forums sometime are like the new wave of CB's there were a lot of bully's on them years ago they just found there way to forums.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Bu

1 hour ago, dblr said:

We have gotten mostly only positive signs from almost all truckers, if getting fuel they approach with lots of questions,

But truck forums are not RV forums. The people there do not have time for "RV's. If you went there and said "I have this truck and it is giving me this issue" then they would be glad to help. Don't confuse this non work issue forum with a work issue forum. Truck drivers in their forums are about business. They have little time or interest in hobbyists. In a parking lot, one on one, they are different. At the fuel pump we are an anomaly.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I'm there too.  Dazed and Confused .... 

I've asked about drive train issues and Volvo "Fixes" on the gen 1 models.  I didn't get into the details of what I'm towing or why and they didn't ask.  At truck stops I haven't had any issues with anyone, I figure if I'm in the way management will come tell me.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

1 hour ago, Big5er said:

Bu

But truck forums are not RV forums. The people there do not have time for "RV's. If you went there and said "I have this truck and it is giving me this issue" then they would be glad to help. Don't confuse this non work issue forum with a work issue forum. Truck drivers in their forums are about business. They have little time or interest in hobbyists. In a parking lot, one on one, they are different. At the fuel pump we are an anomaly.

B5 is right on the mark.

I've posted there a few times looking for help and was never harassed. All my posts were straight and to the point with just details related to the issue I was concerned with. As posted above. They are about business and getting back on the road asap. 

Sorry to hear you had issues there... 

6 hours ago, Big5er said:

Bu

Some being more of an anomaly, than others.....:ph34r:

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Just like anything else in life you are going to get both positive and negative feed back.  Some people are happier about their lives than others and their responses reflect it.

Over all, my interactions with truckers have been positive for the most part.  Most simply don't care, they are working and are busy.  Those who do express any interest (+/-) mostly think it is a cool idea especially if they know how much a 5th wheel actually weighs.  On our last trip from CA on I-8 from the CA/AZ line to the I-8/I-10 merge, I had 3 separate call outs from truckers over the CB asking questions about our setup.  Most are curious about DL/Logs/Scales/IFTA/registration and such, then the questions turn to how the truck was modified for RV use.

For those that question about having too much truck, the first thing I ask them is to do is guess how much our trailer weighs.  They always guess low.  Most are off about 25%~30% but some as much as 50%.  Most seem to have a new respect for the HDT RVer after I rattle back my actual weights.  They understand weights and it gets the gears turning in their heads.

As for truck stops, I never spent more than 90 minutes in one at any given time.  Too noisy and busy for sleeping.  Plus watching some of these drivers try to back in to a spot would scare the snot out of me if it was me they were trying to park next to.

It would be best to leave the trucking forums to trucking and the RV forums to RVing.  If a trucker is interested in how you are using the truck they are going to ask.  For most if they are curious and they have the time will talk to you for as long as you are wiling to talk to them.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

At truck stops where we park or fuel up, I have had truckers come over and shake my hand saying they were glad I was using proper rig to pull my 5th..  the only neg reaction has been from a rv park.. and some other rv'ers

Get used to having picture taken... while you are stopped and while you are driving..kinda weird at first,,  I just waive now :)

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

One reminder:  If you do stay at a Truck stop, or any other public area (Walmart, etc), either have a lock on your hitch, or check it before moving.  Those same folks who are upset we are different like to "let em know"....and a fav. tactic is to pull the hitch pin so the trailer drops.   

Worse thing that happened to me was actually a campground out east...came back from a walk to find somebody had decided to "key" the truck.  Probably thought it was "environmentally incorrect".

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Archived