Full replacement insurance after moving to TX

We bought full replacement insurance in Iowa when our trailer was new in 2015.  Now we have moved to Texas. Trailer still in Iowa at the moment.  We have Allied which is under Nationwide and they are merged.  We are told that the insurance cannot be transferred as it has to be re-written because of moving to Texas (when the trailer is brought to Texas).  Full replacement coverage is only given in the first 13 months and we are past that.  Anyone dealt with this problem? (Our house in Iowa is now our second home.  Working on getting out of it later.)

Cathy

Cathy (Catharine) Summerfield Hana

Whenever you move states you need policies that are compliant with the laws of the new state. The states mandate what the price will be, what is minimal requirements. Not sure what else. It may not be the insurance company but the state that is causing you the hassle. I would ask your broker/insurance agent to get things clarified.

It is not just your trailer insurance but you need new auto insurance also. When you go to register your vehicles you will need to provide insurance coverage specific to that state. 

Normally full replacement coverage is for 5 years. Who told you 13 months..............

This is just part of moving........................

4 hours ago, SWharton said:

Normally full replacement coverage is for 5 years. Who told you 13 months..............

When we were shopping for insurance for the RV in my signature, one insurance company told me that their Total Loss Replacement coverage was only for 18 months, not 5 years.  Obviously, we didn't go with them!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

11 hours ago, cskp said:

We are told that the insurance cannot be transferred as it has to be re-written because of moving to Texas (when the trailer is brought to Texas).  Full replacement coverage is only given in the first 13 months and we are past that.  Anyone dealt with this problem?

We did so when we changed insurance companies and the new company was willing to write "full replacement" coverage if I could show that it had been carried on the RV since it was new. I believe that most companies still do that. Ask your Texas insurance agent about this, or contact one of the national agencies like Miller , AIS , Explorer, or RV Advantage.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 hours ago, SWharton said:

The thirteen months is not the coverage period but the period in which you have to get the insurance from the time the RV is new.  We have heard the same requirement from another company.

We have the vehicles insured for Texas.  Have not brought the trailer done yet. 

Thank you for your reply.

I managed to goof up my answer which is above. That is not SWharton's quote above  but my remarks. 

Whenever you move states you need policies that are compliant with the laws of the new state. The states mandate what the price will be, what is minimal requirements. Not sure what else. It may not be the insurance company but the state that is causing you the hassle. I would ask your broker/insurance agent to get things clarified.

It is not just your trailer insurance but you need new auto insurance also. When you go to register your vehicles you will need to provide insurance coverage specific to that state. 

This is just part of moving........................

3 hours ago, LindaH said:

I don't understand a mere 18 months for replacement. Others are several years.  No, wouldn't go with them!  Thank you. 

When we were shopping for insurance for the RV in my signature, one insurance company told me that their Total Loss Replacement coverage was only for 18 months, not 5 years.  Obviously, we didn't go with them!

My remarks are the top paragraph, not LindaH's.

3 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

We did so when we changed insurance companies and the new company was willing to write "full replacement" coverage if I could show that it had been carried on the RV since it was new. I believe that most companies still do that.

One would think that this is the case but they are saying that the full replacement coverage has to be bought within 13 months of the trailer being new.  Since they are our company, of course they know we bought it when new, so can't even believe that they are claiming that this is a problem.  Yes, I think they should be doing what yours did and would expect that they all do that.

Thank you for the reply. 

3 hours ago, SWharton said:

Is this what your insurance broker is telling you or are you calling Allied directly? I would only trust a response from your insurance broker who knows/understands rv insurance. 

The broker talked to Nationwide and that person talked to an underwriter.

Allied is merged with Nationwide (owned by Nationwide many years but merged recently.)  They have started calling all formerly  "Allied" insurance policies "Nationwide" recently.  But they say that Texas does not have them merged yet, even though they are merged as of the last year or two. 

Archived