Air cleaner 610

cadonnelly

Going through my little Volvo, and took the cover off the air cleaner and low and behold, the filer had a replacement date of August 2014, so it has been through 4 years grain, corn, and bean  harvest, and I suspect my engine is borderline choking to death.  The filter element is 8076195, is there a place where a donaldson replacement is listed?  What is the best bang for the buck in terms of replacement filters, I know they can vary a bit in price.  Thanks chuckd

cadonnelly, stillwater MN

^^ this

In  a Fleetguard Filtration training session we learned an air filter's efficiency increases as it becomes dirtier. It should be changed when the filter minder or dash guage says to. 

And that info from a company in the business of selling filters. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

24 minutes ago, noteven said:

^^ this

In  a Fleetguard Filtration training session we learned an air filter's efficiency increases as it becomes dirtier. It should be changed when the filter minder or dash guage says to. 

And that info from a company in the business of selling filters. 

This is true, but you don't really want to go past the age limit of the filter, as the glues can break down and you risk sucking the pieces into the engine.. Not a fun day... Jay

2 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

This is true, but you don't really want to go past the age limit of the filter, as the glues can break down and you risk sucking the pieces into the engine.. Not a fun day... Jay

Really?  Now filters can "age out" too?  I have filters old enough to vote, in service, as per the factory service manual for a variety of equipment.  Clean as the manual says and inspect thoroughly for cracks or such.  Put a trouble light inside and look for voids.  And as Darryl mentioned, check the restriction indicator.

This "date" thing is way outa hand.  I heard a young mom instruct her kid to throw away a water bottle because it was "from yesterday"  When I told her ALL water had the same born-on date, she gave me that deer in the headlights look.............

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2 hours ago, cadonnelly said:

Nearest speedco is a little over 300 miles away, in a part of Iowa nobody wants to visit

cadonnelly

Is that the part where Radar O'Rielley lives?

13 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Really?  Now filters can "age out" too?  I have filters old enough to vote, in service, as per the factory service manual for a variety of equipment.  Clean as the manual says and inspect thoroughly for cracks or such.  Put a trouble light inside and look for voids.  And as Darryl mentioned, check the restriction indicator.

This "date" thing is way outa hand.  I heard a young mom instruct her kid to throw away a water bottle because it was "from yesterday"  When I told her ALL water had the same born-on date, she gave me that deer in the headlights look.............

That there is funny, I don't care whoyouare!!

First I have heard of a filter date as well.  I would think that iffy passes a visual check and the differential gauge is happy, you would be good to go.  In a normal environment.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Ask Scrap or Jeff C-IL about blowing out filters.  Harvesters see more dirt than any road truck ever will.  We used to blow them out daily, but the new designs go MUCH longer between services.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 3 weeks later...

When I was pulling logs. The air filters got blown out with low air pressure each Sunday. And would get a tea cup of silt out of the filter each time. We had a cap with a pipe that stuck down into the filter. And allowed it to put pressure on the filters.

We were cleaning 5 truck filters per week. Try to swap out that many often. And your bottom line was gone. Also never heard of a filter out of date? Not saying it could not happen. But I have one my Kubota that's going on 9 years old. Still clean and has not fallen apart yet. Filter minder on on it, still shows lots of life in the filter also.

Pete

PS here's the page where you can cross reference the filter. Cross reference

Shows fitler # P540388 Filter P540388

event.png

Archived