Rear Bumper Decks

freestoneangler

Do you have a rear bumper storage rack/deck on your TT?  If so, which one do you have and what do you stow on it?  My TT does not have a built in 2" x 2" hitch receiver and I would need to install one of the clamp/bolt on receiver to the bumper.  Some of these extend out and would appear to have a high moment load - especially when road conditions bounce things around.  I've seen a couple set-ups with truck bed tool boxes mounted which offers some moderate level of securing items being stowed.  Interested in hearing what others are using.  Thanks.

DO NOT install a hitch receiver on a square tube RV bumper. The bumpers are not built to withstand the forces generated by things mounted to them and are notorious for breaking the welds and being dragged down the road. Have a competent welder weld a good-quality receiver to the trailer frame. You and your stuff will be much safer.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Also consider that by extending beyond the bumper, you may decrease the angle of attack that the trailer can negotiate. Consider that the rack may contact the ground when negotiating driveways, parking lots, etc. A rack mounted over the A-frame gives more flexibility in adjusting tongue weight and tow vehicle rear axle both by adjusting cargo distribution in the trailer and the weight distribution bars. Another option (the one I chose), if you have the front axle capacity, may be to install a front receiver on the tow vehicle and attach the cargo platform, bike rack, etc. to that. A front receiver can also be used with a portable winch giving the option of using the winch at the front or the rear of the vehicle. What are you planning on putting on the platform? I have found that I have more than adequate secure storage for items that will not fit in the trailer's compartments in the cap covered bed of the truck.

8 hours ago, Second Chance said:

DO NOT install a hitch receiver on a square tube RV bumper. The bumpers are not built to withstand the forces generated by things mounted to them and are notorious for breaking the welds and being dragged down the road. Have a competent welder weld a good-quality receiver to the trailer frame. You and your stuff will be much safer.

Rob

I was thinking about one for my pontoon boat which weighs about 50 lbs. 

I hesitate saying this but if you can control yourself on what you load and carry they can be useful. B-uuuut as we know from experience it can be difficult for RV'rs to resesist overloading their rigs. Not me of course. :o I made a reciever that bolted on and I carry a few things but very little. I have 3 outdoor patio chairs I carry now and I can't remember at the moment what else I carried. I think I carried an ice chest.  I would carry some type of plastic container for sewer hoses and hook ups as I don't like carrying them inside the bumper as the edges get scuffed up in there.  My homemade hitch slightyl reinforces the bumper and if I carried more weight I would reinforce it more. Most of the hitches are rated for 400-500 lbs but NO WAY would I carry that.

Archived