Escapees Mail Questions - Why is it worth it?

JuryDuty

On 7/25/2017 at 2:18 PM, eddie1261 said:

That same logic will see me spend $1200 on a lithium ion battery for my solar system rather than the much cheaper flooded lead acid batteries. That lithium battery guarantees 4000 charging cycles, likely as many as 5000. That is about 11-14 years. In 11-14 years, I would replace flooded batteries 4 times, so 5 pairs of batteries at $500 per pair vs 1 at $1200. So which is "cheaper" and which is less expensive?

Flooded lead acid golf cart batteries can last a LOT longer than 3 years.  My original set lasted 8 years.  And the replacements cost $100 each, not $250. 

You only get so many laps around the sun in your life. Go see stuff. Go do things! Go eat at fun restaurants rather than cooking canned beans on your little propane camping stove. I am far from rich, but I have enough money to actually enter this adventure out of choice, not out of necessity. Living in a car, eating cheap food from cans, begging people on the internet to fund you through Patreon or affiliate link clicks..... that is called homeless. Is that even living? I will be houseless, but not homeless

Moral of the story, what works for some may not work for all. Your mileage may vary.

You give lip service to YMMV, but come off as judgmental of those whose mileage varies from yours.

Maybe people don't want to go see stuff or do things, or eat at fun restaurants.  Eating at a fun restaurant sounds just awful to me.  So maybe some people just don't want to do it--it's not that they can't.

On 7/25/2017 at 6:37 PM, JuryDuty said:

Boy this thread has suddenly gotten more life nearly two months after I first posted!

Now that is a fact! Please, let's try and respond to the subject of the thread? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I'm as much against thread drift as the next person.  The reason I mentioned batteries was to correct a mistaken assumption:  "In 11-14 years, I would replace flooded batteries 4 times, so 5 pairs of batteries at $500 per pair."   I didn't feel good thinking that someone who doesn't know much about batteries might believe it.

There's really no need these days to have a mail service deposit checks for anyone if your financial institution has a phone app. 

I routinely have my mail service scan checks and email them to me. I then print the scanned checks, endorse them and use my phone to make the deposit. I've dealt with several businesses in the past year that accept payment by scanned check in a similar manner. 

FWIW I use MyDakotaAddreess which emails me the return address info for every piece of mail I receive. Specific items are opened, scanned and emailed with no additional charge. As for privacy concerns, I've used the service for 6 years with no issues. IMHO you need to be able to trust someone or this world becomes a dreadful place to live in. JMO 

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• 5 months later...
On 6/2/2017 at 8:27 AM, SWharton said:

mailservice@escapees.com

I thought you were expecting the deposit of checks for free. Wouldn't the service need deposit slips etc. Just curious. Personally, I would use Paypal over a check. At least you know it is good.

I would find having to log on and look at was scanned(assuming I  had internet) to me would be an aggravation. I  am too busy having fun..............But since you are working I can see your point.

I would also check any service that you use to make sure it is not  Mom and Pop operation. You want continuity. Escapees is the largest mail service in the US, I don't know how many people they service. You might be better off with a smaller service.

Perfect idea. Coming and going.

When we chose SD as our domicile, Escapees hadn't opened their mail forwarding service there, so we went with one that was there. Last month we finally got to Livingston and toured the mail service there. Quite an operation! Our service has changed hands once in the time we've been with it, and the transition was quite smooth. There are some pretty strict Post Office regulations that mail forwarding services have to follow, so you aren't going to be dealing with some guy working out of his basement in the evening. Even the smallest service has to follow those rules and will have some sort of plan for continuing the business when the current owners want/need to give it up.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I work full time and full time rv as most know. Recently I have had to fill in between jobs and work for a small company that does not do direct deposit. Job last a few days and finished. Check comes in mail. two weeks later I get it. But we have mail set up for Tuesday and 'Thursday. Example check sent out  Friday week. Got it this Saturday. Now these were small enough for check scanning. Anything over 2k can't scan. Have to find a CU. This causes a delay in time but unless money is tight I don't see this as an issue. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 4 weeks later...

From post scan mail; ""All of our addresses can be used for personal or business use, but they cannot be listed as a residence or business address on legal documents. Online business listings will accept our street addresses but might not accept post office boxes. We cannot guarantee how quickly mail will be received and recommend that you use our service for non-critical mail.""

Is this true with Excapees and other mail services?

35 minutes ago, Sehc said:

Is this true with Excapees and other mail services?

No. The Escapees Texas mail address is acceptable for all purposes and is the only mail service that has been tested through the courts and upheld all of the way to the state supreme court. There are occasional instances of some financial institution that is not well informed objecting but if that should happen the office can assist you and in most cases, it doesn't happen.  I have opened bank accounts, bought insurance, registered vehicles, applied for and received credit cards, and most other transactions over the years with this address and have had no problems at all. It was my exclusive address for 12 years. 

16 hours ago, Dadrock33 said:

Take a look . . .  this might be what you're wanting: 

www.postscanmail.com

This looks very similar to TravelingMailbox, which is what I ended up going with. I couldn't be happier. I love it so much that I'll probably never use a home mailbox again, even if we get off the road. The convenience of being able to get all my mail online, deposit checks, etc, pretty much makes physical mail obsolete for us. TM also released an app like this one a few months ago, so I can securely do everything from my phone too.

I still recommend Escapees Mail for those who need different services from me, but for my needs, TM was the way to go (see earlier post).

Family of 5 + dog
2017 Rockwood Windjammer 3006WK (aka "Steve")
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 dually (aka "The Big Gas Truck")

On 2/28/2018 at 8:46 AM, Kirk Wood said:

No. The Escapees Texas mail address is acceptable for all purposes and is the only mail service that has been tested through the courts and upheld all of the way to the state supreme court. There are occasional instances of some financial institution that is not well informed objecting but if that should happen the office can assist you and in most cases, it doesn't happen.  I have opened bank accounts, bought insurance, registered vehicles, applied for and received credit cards, and most other transactions over the years with this address and have had no problems at all. It was my exclusive address for 12 years. 

I'm going to show my "newness" here but so be it:  How are taxes handled as far as having to show a permanent address?  Does that mean you have to file taxes in Texas?  Does this make you a resident even if you never set foot in the state?  Trying to get our "ducks in a row" as it were long before we're actually considering on full-timing.

1 hour ago, Dadrock33 said:

How are taxes handled as far as having to show a permanent address?  Does that mean you have to file taxes in Texas?  Does this make you a resident even if you never set foot in the state? 

Since your federal tax return has a place for your address, you just fill in the address that you use. The IRS really doesn't care where you live as long as they get your return. If you are due a refund, the best way to deal with that is to have it deposited directly into your bank account. For state taxes, you would use the same domicile address but in any of the 3 most popular states, there is no state income tax. If you own real estate use the mail service address. You also use that same address for your vehicle registrations so that is where renewal notices will go and if the state has one (TX doesn't) any tax due on your vehicles would be mailed to you there.

Yes, choosing a state of domicile does make you a legal resident of that state.If you read the definition of the word "domicile" you will find that it means the place where you reside and intend to return to when you finish traveling. Since you have to appear in the license office to get your TX driver's license, I really don't see how you could be a resident or domiciled in TX if you have never set foot in the state? 

I suggest that you download a copy of the free booklet "How To Become a Real Texan" and read it as it will answer many of your questions. 

On 3/4/2018 at 8:37 PM, archer said:

I'm late to the party but have info on handling checks. I have found with deposit by phone, you can used a quality scanned image to make the deposit. Might help someone else.

My has a 2k limit though. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

On 3/4/2018 at 8:37 PM, archer said:

I have found with deposit by phone, you can used a quality scanned image to make the deposit. Might help someone else.

Even a not-so-high-quality image will often work.  :lol:  I print out checks that have been scanned and emailed to me and then use my cell phone camera to deposit them.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

3 hours ago, docj said:

Even a not-so-high-quality image will often work.  :lol:  I print out checks that have been scanned and emailed to me and then use my cell phone camera to deposit them.

Now why doesn't that give me a warm comfortable feeling? B)

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• 2 weeks later...

"If you are due a refund, the best way to deal with that is to have it deposited directly into your bank account." I believe that the only way you get a refund is by direct deposit. When we started getting SS a few years ago we were told that the only way we would get money was by direct deposit - NO possibility of a paper check.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived