Inficon Whisper

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have a new tool. You can guess what it is from the title. I need to start finding the air leaks on the truck. My questions is for the people that have used the Whisper. What is the best way to find air leaks ? I know that the truck does need to have air in the tanks. But does the truck need to be running during the testing ? What area to you start your testing at ? I want to go over the whole truck. Is there any little tip I should now ? There is always a breeze at my house. Does the wind blowing affect the testing ? Is there anything that I am missing ?

Thank you for any help,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Al,

Start the truck and fill the tanks to max. Turn off truck. Start under hood at max sensitivity then dial down sensitivity as you begin to isolate leak. Fix what you find and move on towards back and under.  At max sensitivity it will detect from several feet away. A big leak will be difficult to isolate despite low sensitivity.  Some folks use ear phones, I don't and it's been ok.  Breezes aren't usually a huge issue unless it's constantly in the area you're working. By the way using the "elephant trunk" extension helps isolate. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Shop air can be helpful as the truck will not be hot and that will make it easier and safer to crawl around under it.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

4 minutes ago, Shallow Draft said:

Shop air can be helpful as the truck will not be hot and that will make it easier and safer to crawl around under it.

Hi Shallow Draft,

Where does someone hook the shop air up to ? Is there a place on the truck that has a fitting ? Or does a fitting have to be added to the truck ? If you add a fitting to the truck, what does it look like ? Or are the fittings the same ones that you can use for your air tools ?

It might be a good idea to have a place on the truck for shop air.

Al

There will usually be a schrader valve on the air governor. You hook a chuck to it like filling a tire. I use a wisper to find leaks in AC systems, have yet to use it on the truck as I can hear the leaks on my own so far.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Yes on the governor.  It is where you can air up the truck if you shut it off in gear. The truck will not start in gear and if air is low it will not shift into neutral. I have not had to do this but it is a bit of handy info if it ever happens.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

x2 on what SuiteSuccess said.  I used the headset and elephant trunk.  It worked great.  I finally located all my leaks.  The biggest and hardest to find was on the top/back of the transmission.  It was caused by the person that laced up the air lines on the drivers side not leaving enough slack for movement.  The Volvo will stay above 90 p.s.i for at least two weeks while parked! 

I pull the truck up on some 8 foot 8 x 8s (4 pairs with 2-8x8s bolted together with deck plating) to allow space to crawl under the fairings. 

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Hi Everyone,

These are all great tips. Please keep them coming. By looking for leaks, I think is a great way to learn more about the truck. The more that I can learn about the air system the better. I should think about replacing some parts to the air system so I don't have to do the repairs on the side of the road.

Al

Or you can make up one of these and connect it to shop air. There is a connection that looks like an air conditioner R134 fill on the left side of my D12 on an aluminum pipe that you can trace to your truck air compressor.  Make up one of these and it will connect. You will be pre air dryer if you don't have a dryer on your shop air. V6Sy593l.jpg

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Another thought is while the truck is on level ground and Air'd up, chock at least 2 tires/wheels and release your brakes.  This puts air to the brake cans and brake air system.  But always safety first when doing this.   Having a truck roll while under it will probably be ugly in outcome.....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Or you can make up one of these and connect it to shop air. There is a connection that looks like an air conditioner R134 fill on the left side of my D12 on an aluminum pipe that you can trace to your truck air compressor.  Make up one of these and it will connect. You will be pre air dryer if you don't have a dryer on your shop air. V6Sy593l.jpg

Great idea.   I am going to build one of these. I like the "before the air dryer" idea. Also it will stay connected better than a tire inflator.   Could you add a pic of the connection on the D12 so I have a better idea of it's location.

12 hours ago, Shallow Draft said:

Great idea.   I am going to build one of these. I like the "before the air dryer" idea. Also it will stay connected better than a tire inflator.   Could you add a pic of the connection on the D12 so I have a better idea of it's location.

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the picture. I would also like to see a picture of the connection.

Thanks, but this was Charlie's creation so he deserves the credit.   Will get a pic today and post. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Connection on aluminum tube  JtnWxK4l.jpg

41wY6Q2l.jpg

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

17 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Another thought is while the truck is on level ground and Air'd up, chock at least 2 tires/wheels and release your brakes.  This puts air to the brake cans and brake air system.  But always safety first when doing this.   Having a truck roll while under it will probably be ugly in outcome.....

Chock all 4 corners of the truck.  I had a friend die this way in his own driveway!

3 hours ago, noteven said:

Where can I buy one of these instruments in western Canada? 

Amazon no got. 

Inficon's corporate website is um ... too smart for me... 

https://www.amazon.com/Inficon-711-202-G1-Whisper-Ultrasonic-Detector/dp/B000TRJA8M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1496536898&sr=8-4&keywords=inficon+leak+detector

Showing 18 in stock.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Does not ship to Canada and amazon.ca doesn't have them.  The other sellers in the U.S. that do ship to Canada are significantly more money plus shipping,  brokerage fees and taxes.

Probably best to ship to a campground next time you go south.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

5 hours ago, noteven said:

Where can I buy one of these instruments in western Canada? 

Amazon no got. 

Inficon's corporate website is um ... too smart for me... 

Are you going to the WCR?  If so have Amazon ship to the campground in your name.  You can have it when you get there.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:26 AM, SuiteSuccess said:

Thanks, but this was Charlie's creation so he deserves the credit.   Will get a pic today and post. 

Hi Carl,

Thank you for posting the picture.

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for the idea. I know remember you showing a group of us the fitting at last year's ECR. I need to make that handy tool. I still need to make my claw foot for the Cross Fires.

Al

Archived