RV water pump

My pump does not put out enough water pressure and want to replace How many GPM and what pressure pump should I get for fantastic shower time ? And no ...the answer is NO the shower head is not plugged up My campground pressure is 24lbs and my pump just barely improves that !

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Before you get too far, most RV water pumps are adjustable for the pressure that they turn off at, but they also need a large enough volume capacity to keep up with your shower or won't maintain the pressure you need. From your post, I'm guessing that you have a pressure gauge on the city supply? While we don't often fool with the pump pressure, it is helpful if you have a way to check the output pressure as well. I borrowed one that fit on a faucet in place of the screen that is usually there but I don't own one or know where the owner got the one that I used. 

I believe that most RVs come with either a Flowjet or a Sureflow pump installed and usually one of the lower volume ones. When replacing one, I always use a pump of at least 3 gpm capacity but as you increase that output capacity you also increase the cost. In my opinion (for all that may be worth;)) the diameter of water lines in an RV is too restrictive to gain much by using a pump with higher volume than that, but they are available. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

35 minutes ago, Devilishjim said:

My pump does not put out enough water pressure and want to replace How many GPM and what pressure pump should I get for fantastic shower time ? And no ...the answer is NO the shower head is not plugged up My campground pressure is 24lbs and my pump just barely improves that !

In the few times in the past where we have been in cgs where pressure was woefully lacking, we made sure our fresh tank was full and turned on our existing pump which used water from the tank along with cg water hookups thus causing an increase in pressure from the shower.  If where your at does not have water hookups at individual sites, then this won't be of help.  As Mr K stated, the water lines size in a lot of rvs is pretty restrictive and needs all the help it can get.  Might go online and see what Amazon- PPL-www.rvupgrades.com might have in rv pumps that run in the 3-5 gpm size.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

Water line sizes inside RVs are the same as most houses. 1/2" supply to appliances (at least most of them). 

The "house" supply is also 1/2" unlike a fixed house, where it is typically larger than that. But given that in an RV you are unlikely to be using more than one high-draw water appliance at a time, there really is not much difference.

A higher output pump will make a difference in the shower. But you might also wish to remove any "water saver" restrictors in the shower head if the higher output pump does not satisfy you. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

10 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

Water line sizes inside RVs are the same as most houses. 1/2" supply to appliances (at least most of them). 

The "house" supply is also 1/2" unlike a fixed house, where it is typically larger than that. But given that in an RV you are unlikely to be using more than one high-draw water appliance at a time, there really is not much difference.

A higher output pump will make a difference in the shower. But you might also wish to remove any "water saver" restrictors in the shower head if the higher output pump does not satisfy you. 

Thanks for the replys, I did remove showerhead and installed a house type head but pump just runs steady and very low flow. It used to work very good but I think my 12yr old pump is in need of a fix

Jim Spence

You can get a rebuild kit for your pump and see if that helps. It may, in my experience. But if it does not then keep that pump as a backup and then put in a new higher flow model.  The rebuild kits are cheap. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The later pumps I've replaced are 50 PSI rated as I recall and at or near 3 GPM flow. If you go the lower PSI and lower CFM cheaper route you obviously don't get the same performance WELL DUH. If you step up to some of the belt driven higher CFM likewise does the price step up but they can be much quieter. I never worried about the noise as I like to hear if and when its running which may warn me of a small leak. FWIW I use a 50 PSI (I think its 50??) city water inlet regulator, but actually I have as much or more shower pressure using my fresh water pump then the city inlet ??? I like my Oxygenics Shower head, it seems to use less water but still good pressure and sufficient flow to satisfy SWMBO. I also run one of those bladder tank type  pressure accumulators that evens out flow pressure and eliminates short cycling in low flow conditions. I highly recommend their use. 

John T

3 hours ago, Devilishjim said:

It used to work very good but I think my 12yr old pump is in need of a fix

That sure narrows things down and makes the pump suspect. Like Jack, I'd probably rebuild it first, unless you just want one of the newer, quieter pumps. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

43 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

That sure narrows things down and makes the pump suspect. Like Jack, I'd probably rebuild it first, unless you just want one of the newer, quieter pumps. 

The pump is a 2.8GPM 45PSI  Running pump it took 1 minute to fill 1 gal jug from kitchen sink. CG water at 24 PSI filled jug at same time 1 minute. Now I see Amazon has same pump at 3.5 GPM @45 PSI but they want a 15A  slow-burn fuse where current pump has a 10A and the motor says 7A to run. When I 1st turned pump on it would not build up pressure so I turned CG water off and then turned on pump and kitchen faucett and it started pumping and did build up pressure after faucett was off. Turn faucett on and get a good charge of water for a second and then pressure falls right off. So I guess its rebuild or new. I can live with noisy pump but lack of water pressure is a bummer

Jim Spence

Since the pump is 12 years old I'd at least "consider" a whole new unit versus a rebuild kit. HOWEVER you have to balance the cost of new versus rebuild and how much money you want to spend and then make your decision. There's a good chance the motor portion of your old pump will last another 12 years no problem and is good as a whole new pumps motor???? Hard to say from here. Your money your call not ours.

NOTE if you knew what current your old pump was supposed to draw and what its actual draw is now, that could provide some evidence of its condition. If its drawing within specs Id might be more tempted to just install a repair kit, however, if its drawing excess current and its NOT any circuit or voltage drop problem, Id be more tempted to buy a whole new unit. I hate to have to do a hard to get at job twice grrrrrrrrrrrr. I'm unsure if your pump is more of a throwaway or easily and cheaply repairable like some small DC motors where dressing the commutator and a new set of brushes (assuming good bushings) renders them good as new. As I'm sure you're well aware, any air leak in the suction side of those pumps wreaks havoc on their performance.

John T

Edited by oldjohnt

I ordered a new 3.5 to replace my original 2.8 Shurflo so am anxious to get it. But now I have to go to Amazon and find out why I haven;t got a ship date yet considering it was in stock and I have Prime !

Jim Spence

40 minutes ago, oldjohnt said:

Jim, Congratulations. Yeppers that new 3.5 should out perform the old 2.8 even had you installed a repair kit. Sounds like a sound choice NOW if you can get it shipped lol

John T

Yeah John after my lil chat with some Ahab...My pumps been backordered so they get it the 8th, dirtbags said it was in stock ! Just about time to stop shopping Amazon 2nd time they have pulled this stunt on me.

Jim S

Jim Spence

A few years ago, I bought a Shurflo Revolution pump as a spare. It got put in when the old one died and it's been doing a really good job. 55psi, 7.5amps, 3GPM. I'm quite happy with it. Granted, it can't keep up with multiple draws all at once as well as a 5+GPM pump could, but that doesn't happen here. Good showers, often just as good or better than being on a city water connection. (I do have a regulator for the city water connection and don't want the psi numbers up much above about 60psi. Not sure what the RV plumbing is rated for but above that seems too much to me. Others might disagree.)

2 hours ago, BrianT said:

A few years ago, I bought a Shurflo Revolution pump as a spare. It got put in when the old one died and it's been doing a really good job. 55psi, 7.5amps, 3GPM. I'm quite happy with it. Granted, it can't keep up with multiple draws all at once as well as a 5+GPM pump could, but that doesn't happen here. Good showers, often just as good or better than being on a city water connection. (I do have a regulator for the city water connection and don't want the psi numbers up much above about 60psi. Not sure what the RV plumbing is rated for but above that seems too much to me. Others might disagree.)

I was reading the specs about that pump but was kind of wondering about the 55lbs, Glad to know it works good should the need arise that i need another. Its amazing what a chat with Amazon can do :) All of a sudden my pump appeared and has been shipped.

Jim Spence

Go to a local farm supply store and check out their 12V pump inventory. The brands are the same as RV specific pumps but about 2/3 the cost. For instance: https://www.ruralking.com/valley-industries-everflo-4-gpm-pump-60-psi-ef-4000-box.html

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

11 hours ago, Devilishjim said:

I was reading the specs about that pump but was kind of wondering about the 55lbs, Glad to know it works good should the need arise that i need another. Its amazing what a chat with Amazon can do :) All of a sudden my pump appeared and has been shipped.

Funny thing about it, I wasn't originally going to get a spare pump. But an rv supply store I was visiting for a few other unrelated items had it discounted to something like $40 at the time and I just couldn't pass it up. I think the cheapest I saw it lately was more like $60.

We kept our old OEM unit as a spare, and added the SF 4048. Higher pressure, good GPM, and quieter then the OEM Flojet. 

I you can rebuild your old unit, that could be your spare:)!

And yes to higher GPM and pressure filling the Grey quicker:)!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

2 hours ago, BrianT said:

Funny thing about it, I wasn't originally going to get a spare pump. But an rv supply store I was visiting for a few other unrelated items had it discounted to something like $40 at the time and I just couldn't pass it up. I think the cheapest I saw it lately was more like $60.

Yeah Brian I think Amazon had it 60ish which made me wonder how good it was. I noticed CHINA stamped all over it but what doesnt these days. Smitty 77-7 the grey tank wont fill up if the valves are wide open ;)

Jim Spence

• 4 years later...

Also be sure your in line pressure regulator is providing pressure. I like 60 pounds regulated out of the spigot but YMMV.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Just installed a new Oxygenics shower head and love it.  Different from our original with built in shut off and 2 setting adjustable sprays.  Only place I could find it was at Lowes.

Later,

J

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oxygenics-BodySpa-Adventure-RV-Brushed-Nickel-3-Spray-Handheld-Shower-1-8-GPM-6-8-LPM/5013049769

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS