Solar 12V or 24V system

Ken

Just now, J-T said:

Bigfoot uses 108 Series Parker pumps sadly these and other Parker series are not available in 48VDC.

Bummer. I'll have to study their design and see what else would work. There are 48v pumps and one should be suitable. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Just now, Jack Mayer said:

Bummer. I'll have to study their design and see what else would work. There are 48v pumps and one should be suitable. 

Yeah I know.....after looking at converters ( 2 for redundancy)  I went looking for 48VDC pumps.

A  1hp 48VDC motor (no pump) is +/- $450.

A complete 12VDC Parker (motor, pump, tank, check valve, pressure relief and solenoids) 108 pump is +/-$300.....benefits of 12V mass production.

Each Bigfoot pump and cylinder is a closed system . The pumps move oil from the bottom to the top of the cylinder and back again.  When lifting oil in the tank is added and retracting oil (equivalent of the rod diameter) is removed. 

2011 Cameo 34SB3

Even if you parallel 2 of the 60 amp transformers I posted a link to that's still only $200, less than 1/2 the price of a 48v pump. Do you really need over 120 amps? They will surge to 125% capacity too, according to their specs, so that's a spike of 150 amps. Plus you've got all this 12v power available for everything else too, like the fridge board, fantastic fans, lighting, etc.

Chip

49 minutes ago, sushidog said:

Even if you parallel 2 of the 60 amp transformers I posted a link to that's still only $200, less than 1/2 the price of a 48v pump. Do you really need over 120 amps? They will surge to 125% capacity too, according to their specs, so that's a spike of 150 amps. Plus you've got all this 12v power available for everything else too, like the fridge board, fantastic fans, lighting, etc.

Chip

Yes, that is the case. That is why I have no real concern about it. But if the pumps could be run at 48 volts that would likely be the way I'd do it. At least on a production unit. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived