2 Question? GPS and smart car??

Pete Kildow

My wife is going to get me a new GPS for my Birthday. What is the better or best one for RV use? I like the 7" that allows you to search with Speech. But not sure how well it works? Also like the 8" Tablet for Truckers. But again still not sure how well it works for Rv use.

Second Question.

On smart cars, what would I need to look for in a used one? See even a 2015 selling for around $7000. Is that average? Low? High? Miles on it around 35,000 miles. Figure we will try to give one a test drive soon. AS we have not even been in one yet.

And will have around 60" Between the hitch and back of the truck. Will this work? Or will I need to move hitch back more?

Pete

event.png

I have an older truckers Garmin but will be looking at replacing it because the connection on the back is failing and it wants to power off many times.  Usually not a problem while driving, but making changes is a real PIA. It keeps shutting down.

60 inches allowance for the smart car is fine.   Make sure that is from the rear most part of the fairings and not the back of the cab.  Your smart will need to clear the fairings if you have them.  Otherwise back of the cab or muffler and frame will be where you need to measure from.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

2 hours ago, wild wolf products said:

My wife is going to get me a new GPS for my Birthday. What is the better or best one for RV use? I like the 7" that allows you to search with Speech. But not sure how well it works? Also like the 8" Tablet for Truckers. But again still not sure how well it works for Rv use.

Second Question.

On smart cars, what would I need to look for in a used one? See even a 2015 selling for around $7000. Is that average? Low? High? Miles on it around 35,000 miles. Figure we will try to give one a test drive soon. AS we have not even been in one yet.

I have a 2009, bought new, now with 66,000 miles. It runs fine, but it is somewhat "quirky", especially compared to the new version. I have driven a new one. I like it a lot! It feels much more "normal". If mine was not paid for already, I would be having a new one. You might consider trying them both. My opinion is that the new one is worth the difference. YMMV

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

wild wolf products This is how you figure out what you need for clearance. Measure the total width of your trailer and divide it by 2. Then add 4 inches. This is the measurement that you need between the back of your cab (or the furthest object behind your cab i.e. fairing exhaust etc.) and the center of your kingpin. 

As for the GPS. After driving professionally for a lot of years. Of course the earlier years my GPS was called a map and I don't know how I got along with only using just a map. (Now I am just lazy I guess) Anyway I have numerous GPS's and with the way they are up dating roads now a days you really need to stay up on keeping your GPS updated no matter what one you choose. I find that using my phone or a cellular equipped Tablet works the best for me. You get traffic they keep them updated and you can search for restaurant and gas stations using the maps app in the area you are in.

Just another opinion of course hope it helps.

P.S. I prefer the maps app on the apple produces rather than the android or google just another opinion.

Norm & Rhonda

2013 Volvo VNL780 500HP D-13 12 Speed iShift Trans

2008 Jayco F 36 V 40' Toy Hauler

2016 Smart Fortwo Prime

2014 Harley-Davidson CVO Limited

I agree with Buscrusher I have not driven the older version but have a few friends that have them and they have said how clunky and quirky they are. I love my 2016 It is by far one of the most fun cars I have ever owned of driven and I used to haul automobiles for a living. I used to make fun of people that drove those stupid little cars and said I would not be caught in one of them. Now I own one and you could not buy it from me.

Norm & Rhonda

2013 Volvo VNL780 500HP D-13 12 Speed iShift Trans

2008 Jayco F 36 V 40' Toy Hauler

2016 Smart Fortwo Prime

2014 Harley-Davidson CVO Limited

I have 125 inches from the rear of the tool boxes on the bed. to the center of my hitch pin to allow carrying our Smart and would not want to tow, carrying the Smart, on anything but level ground with much less than that.  The 125 inches gives me sufficient clearance for all the unusual attitude occurances I have encountered to date. Getting all catywompass in a sharp turn with uneven terain can eat up some space. Don't ask me how i know.      Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

I am curious, "these days" why would you still use a dedicated gps and not your phone or tablet?

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

31 minutes ago, CDR said:

I am curious, "these days" why would you still use a dedicated gps and not your phone or tablet?

Curt

Not necessarily, I have 2 dedicated Garmin GPS units, one in the Volvo and the other in the Smart.  Sometimes the G's don't recognize the address punched in.  The Volvo also has a Microsofts Streets and trips on the laptop next to me on the Jotto Laptop stand but the MSS 13 is not supported any more but the majority of the roads are there.  It's used for trip planning mostly.

The Smart phone will not only get me the address but turn by turn directions when others have failed.  Nothing wrong in having a backup just in case.

20 hours ago, CDR said:

Curt

Because I have been in spots. Where I could not get my Phone to give Directions. Yes theres dead spots in the USA. Even a few in Middle Tn. The GPS can stay in the truck, and always get me back out of any place.

But I agree if it were not for those times. I would just the phone 100% of the time. But every year I find myself in spots. Nothing works other then a GPS.

Pete

event.png

On 6/2/2017 at 0:45 AM, CDR said:

I just returned from a trip to Chicago riding in the passenger seat. The GPS was a phone.. The second most liked figure I like about my truck GPS is speed limits and notification of a speed change. I don't know what APP was used by the phone but we had no warning  construction  or congestion or mileage marker info .

How does the phone help you find someplace where there is no Data Signal.

I happy to have a Rand McNally  RVND 7730 LM.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

We have the Garmin RV760 and are very happy with it.  We like being able to enter our length and height and the GPS will route around any known obstacles such as low overpasses or length restricted areas.  As stated above it also gives advance warnings of speed changes, school zones and sharp curves.  The new Garmin RV is a smaller screen, but we really like the 7" screen for our old eyes.....

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

Howdy!

I gave up on stand alone GPS years ago. I been using Co-pilot on my tablets and smartphones ever since. Once you load the Co-pilot maps onto you device you no longer need a data connection, it works the same way your Garmin or any other gps works. Co-pilot now has a RV app which I'm using now.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Archived