Camco enters a new market area

1 hour ago, baloo said:

Do you have an easy way to explain how this is different from other surge protectors?

Not sure whether it's oranges and oranges, or apples and oranges -- and too slow and unwilling to figger it out.

It looks to have the same basic specs and features as the surge guard and progressive 30 amp portable units for about the same price.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

And it could very well be a private label agreement between Camco and one of the other two, major manufacturers.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

It does look a lot like the Surge Guard 34830.

34830.png&height=400&Compression=100&con      55301_out.png

Camco really doesn't give enough of the specs on their site for us to determine just what it is. Even though I have owned Surge Guard products for years (got both of mine used for a low price) I lean to the Progressive unit if buying new because they provide for owner repair and TRC doesn't. I can find nothing on the Camco to know if they do this or not. The Camco does have a higher surge dissipation rating than the TRC. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

44 minutes ago, baloo said:

Thanks all for the great inputs!

The thing to keep in mind that all of these are power monitors and do much more than a simple surge guard does. Under voltage is a far more common problem than an injurious power surge. 

• Protects RV from faulty park power
  • Built-in intelligence
  • Automatic reset on power restoration
  • Shuts off power when the following is present:
    • NEW! Open Ground
    • Open neutral
    • Low (<102V) and High (>132V) Voltage
  • NEW! Thermal protection against plug and receptacle overheating (Patent Pending)
  • LCD display (English)
  • Multi-mode surge suppression
  • 128 second reset delay protects A/C compressor
  • Continuously monitors and indicates:
    • NEW! Surge Failure
    • Voltage and amp draw (RMS)
    • Reverse polarity (miswired pedestal, elevated ground voltage)
  • 2450 Joules of power surge protection
  • Convenient plug disconnect handles
  • Weather resistant

Camco makes or markets many products that we do use in our RV lifestyle.  BUT, If you call the helpline at 4 pm Sunday afternoon, what are the chances you are going to get the owner/president of the company who walks you thru a troubleshooting list to find that their product has a glitch and the next day they overnight a complete new surge protector at their expense.  No questions asked.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

On 6/3/2017 at 10:02 AM, Chalkie said:

For the price of it I personally will stick with Progressive Industries. I somehow doubt that Camco is able to offer the same outstanding customer service as I have had experience with at Progressive Industries.

The bad news is that PI was just bought out by someone else, and there are complaints all over other RV forums about just having a 30 day (?90 day?) warranty. (I initally saw a complaint and reference to the change in customer service on the Newmar forum in iRV2.com .)

3 hours ago, baloo said:

The bad news is that PI was just bought out by someone else, and there are complaints all over other RV forums about just having a 30 day (?90 day?) warranty. (I initally saw a complaint and reference to the change in customer service on the Newmar forum in iRV2.com .)

I guess that deserves some research but the website for them still shows a lifetime warranty. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

19 hours ago, Chalkie said:

I guess that deserves some research but the website for them still shows a lifetime warranty. 

Here is a link to the discussion regarding the company change, as well as complaints about them as a result of the change, for what it's worth ( http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/progressive-industries-not-the-company-they-were-341438.html )

Yes, there seems to be some discrepancy about PI and service, in regards to their being bought out.

Maybe one of you can get to the bottom of this?

On 6/6/2017 at 0:55 PM, baloo said:

The bad news is that PI was just bought out by someone else,

In trying to find any news reports of Progressive Industries being sold, I could find nothing but I did check the Bloomberg ratings and they still list the Fanelli's as owners. They indicate that PI bought another company.

Company Overview

Progressive Industries, Inc. manufactures recreational vehicles (RV) electrical protection products. It offers portable products, such as RV smart surge protectors. The company also provides hardwired units, including hardwired electrical management systems. In addition, it offers RV adapters and accessories, such as cheater boxes, bypass switches, generator plugs, extension plugs, master locks, and RV jack pads. The company was founded in 1998 and is based in Apex, North Carolina. As of April 12, 2017, Progressive Industries, Inc. operates as a subsidiary of Power Products, LLC.

3 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

Here is an article relating to the sale.

It seems that Bloomberg has it backward! Very interesting article as well as the one linked to it that addresses the sale of Power Products. It will be interesting to watch as some of the things you are concerned about took place at Surge Guard back when they were bought by TRC. 

But back to the topic, has anyone figured out where CAMCO gets its new power monitor device? 

Archived