Insurance

Labauer

We will be picking up our new 5th wheel in a couple days of weeks.  I've been getting quotes for full-time rv insurance and am overwhelmed with the choices of companies.  I'd be interested in your input as to who you use and the must have options.

Auto Owners was seemless.  They wanted a couple of photos of the truck (unconverted) and all is well. 

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

11 hours ago, Labauer said:

I'd be interested in your input as to who you use and the must have options.

This is not to scare anyone but to open eyes to some options. Like anything, Preparation is a key to less hearth ache.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

11 hours ago, Labauer said:

We will be picking up our new 5th wheel in a couple days of weeks.  I've been getting quotes for full-time rv insurance and am overwhelmed with the choices of companies.  I'd be interested in your input as to who you use and the must have options.

Since you are getting a new fifth wheel, one thing you will want is Total Loss Replacement coverage.  This coverage will replace your fifth wheel during the first five model years in the case of a total loss.  After the five years, it will pay you what you paid for the RV.

One caution, though...ask any insurance coverage how long their Total Loss Replacement coverage is for.  When we were looking for insurance for the RV in my signature, I called one insurance company and, in talking with them, I discovered that instead of five years, their Total Loss Replacement coverage was only for 18 months!  Obviously, we didn't go with them.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Not all companies work the same. We are with USAA (retired Army). USAA will shunt you to Progressive for motorhomes but will cover fifth wheels. The rig itself is on our auto policy for liability, collision and comprehensive. We have a renter's policy (about $15 a month!) that covers all of the contents and personal items as well as the things we left in storage back in South Carolina. All-in-all, extremely affordable. USAA knows we are full-timing and recommended setting things up this way.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

1 hour ago, Second Chance said:

The rig itself is on our auto policy for liability, collision and comprehensive.

Does the liability cover the RV when it's parked (i.e., not attached to the truck)?  If someone breaks a leg falling down the RV's stairs, will you be covered?

RV's on auto policies are typically only covered when being towed, not when parked.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

2 hours ago, LindaH said:

Does the liability cover the RV when it's parked (i.e., not attached to the truck)?  If someone breaks a leg falling down the RV's stairs, will you be covered?

RV's on auto policies are typically only covered when being towed, not when parked.

The comprehensive covers the rig for any damage while it's parked. The renter's policy covers us for liability for guests, etc. USAA stepped me through that whole conversation while setting up the policy.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

We have Geico and have the 5 yr full replacement. Covered as full timers in ours. a lot like our home insurance was .

2016 DRV MS36RSSB3
2016 Ram 3500 DRW/CC/LB/4X4/Aisin/4.10 Longhorn, rear air assist suspension
B&W OEM RVK3600 Companion hitch

Archived