Where to put our Kayak

5th Wheeling

We have a 25' 5th Wheel we tow behind our GMC Sierra Crew Cab with a full bed.  We are now considering bringing 2 Kayaks (we have not purchased yet) with us, but wonder where to put them.  Does anyone transport Kayaks, and if so, do you have a special rack?  Where to place the rack?  How long are your kayaks.   

We have something similar to infoshot. Dually quad with 2 10' kayaks. We have a Yakama rack cross wise over the cab. Then a kayak carrier, that really is a saddle, one each mounted on each bar. We have tried numerous ways to haul them up there but stacking works the best for us. Two ratchet straps, each over the kayaks and anchored to the Kayak saddles. Then a ratchet strap from the rear of the kayaks that attaches to the base of the fiver hitch. One ratchet strap from the front of the kayaks to the top of our front mounted bike carrier. We put them up and down from the roof with a Big Boys' Toystore (Harbor Frieght)  $50.00 remote winch. Works really well. Been in some strong winds between Twin Falls, ID. and Las Vegas with no problems.

If I had a pickup I would do something like this since my baby is 17ft long.
20090520_KayakRack_001.jpg

But that won't work with an HDT.  NoDirectionHome already posted my next consideration. After paddling a 17ft carbon fiber kayak all these years the idea of an inflatable just isn't appealing. Going to a 14ft Pakayak is at least tolerable.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Check out our profile pic.  We mounted our 13' on top of the roof of our Topkick.  Despite being almost 10' up, really wasn't really too bad to get up there by myself.  Put it on the bed, set the nose on the roof, and slide it right up.

google "fifth wheel kayay mount" and click on images.  there are a hundred different ways to build a roof rack on the truck.  Really pretty simple on a pickup.

We got rid of our kayak (not going to the keys in the winter anymore).  My rack won't do you any good, but I have two sets of thule cradles to sell that are in like new shape.  they clamp nicely on anything made out of 1" square tubing.

On 5/29/2017 at 11:07 PM, infoshot said:

infoshot...I'm unable to view your vid.  Had you thought about a J bar set-up?  

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

• 2 years later...

I've been using JayLow rooftop mounted kayak rack. Amazing kayak rack adapter. I was not sure if this was going to be easy to use and install and it was so easy. I like how robust it is as well. You will need to buy a SKS lock (extra) if you want to make sure no one steals this from your rooftop, but it's not easy to fuure out how to steal ti, if the person stealing it doesn't know how to remove it.