Standalone Fifth Wheel Insurance

A disabled friend who lives full time in a fifth wheel, and has friends tow him when necessary, needs insurance on the fifth wheel. He has no other road vehicle requiring insurance. So far, no insurance company will touch this unless he also insures a car or truck with them, which he doesn't have.

Does anyone know an insurance company that will insure a standalone fifth wheel, without a companion car/truck, in California? Some RV parks require this, presumably in case the fifth wheel sideswipes another RV during parking, and also for liability coverage for visitors to his RV.

Thanks!

A full timer needs to look very carefully at policy coverage.  A great many companies provide RV insurance.  It seems very few meet the needs of a fulltimer.  Theft is often a big loophole.  It is often assumed that the homeowners policy will provide this type of coverage and coverage for an RV only policy might be minimal.  I found that to be the case with Allied and Progressive.  I switched to National Interstate because the policy truly covered my needs.  I still needed a separate "umbrella" policy for liability issues.  Be careful about following advice from others.  It seems many policies from national companies still vary depending on where you buy the policy.

We have specific full-time coverage with Progressive where we were able to specify the amount of coverage we wanted for additional personal belongings (15K). We did take out an additional umbrella liability policy just for peace of mind. Our truck is insured through a different company and Progressive had no problem insuring just the 5W.

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

Archived