Fort Peck/COE/Charles M Russell Wildlife Refuge

dirtyboots

Heading to that part of Montana after a stop in Kalispell....the possibilities are endless!  Anyone with words of wisdom as to camping (36' trailer + 1 ton long bed RAM)?  Would be happy to camp in one place and do day trips to museums, interpretive centers, etc.  Thanks for any suggestions.

I've been there.  It's not Kalispell/Flathead Lake/Swann Valley which are well supplied with tourist services (and trees!).  It's the middle of nowhere with 60 mile stretches of empty badlands.  I stayed at Fourchette Bay which was 40-50 miles of gravel road from the nearest paved road.  Didn't have a trailer, but plenty of boats were trailered in.  Your best bet if you are interested in museums is probably to stay near the dam and then you will be close to Glasgow which has services and some entertainment.

If you like the outdoors, fishing, fossil and rock hunting, nature watching, etc I imagine you would enjoy it.  But it is one of the most remote places in the state.  I found the stark landscape quite beautiful.

Kipp recreation area where hwy 191 crosses the Missouri was nice.  It had some trees.  Again though, quite remote even though it's on a good paved highway.

Thanks, Beerboy, that's just what I was hoping to find out.  I've only been as far as Great Falls (from NE WA) so everything else is a mystery!  Thinking of taking 2 thru Havre to Malta, then down 191.  The Kipp rec area looks interesting.  I'm good with seeing the empty badlands....maybe head to Glasgow first then backtrack to Malta.  Who knows, but I sure appreciate your info. 

Archived