things to see between Colorado Springs and Columbus, Ohio

Dmworthi

Walter P. Chrysler Boyhood Home in Ellis, KS; Ellis County Historical Museum in Hayes, KS. Wish I was going  to be near Hays for the Flying Legends of Victory Tour. Dorrance Museum and Fossil Station Museum in Russell, KS. The Oz Museum in Wamego, KS. Hermann, MO. The Arch. Saint Charles, MO. Mid-America Motor Works Museum and Crossroads at the Cross in Effingham, IL. National Museum of the Air Force. Lots of small town/city parks in Kansas and some very nice Corps of Engineers Parks. Some nice County Parks on Lakes Southeast of Kansas City. Lots of decent campgrounds/RV parks along I-70. Some Ohio State Parks give Passport America discounts in the middle of the week.

One thing comes to mind is the Indianapolis Speedway Museum and this summer they have a special A. J. Foyt section set up. Bar-b-que in K. C. Ike Eisenhower Library, Museum and boyhood home in Abilene, KS.  Many things in the St. Louis area, Gateway Arch, Grants Farm, Budweiser Brewery. I'll try thinking of some more. 

An hour or so south of I-70 is Hutchinson, KS.  The Cosmosphere at Hutchinson Community College is a world-class collection of US and Soviet spacecraft and artifacts rivaling places like the Smithsonian itself. The backstories about how a small community college was able to obtain such an amazing collection is as fascinating as the museum itself.

I stopped in for what I thought was going to be a quick visit and wound up spending the better part of 3 days there.

Also in Hutchinson is the Strataca underground salt mine museum.  You take an elevator 650 feet below ground to the museum itself in the carved out passages of the salt mine.  The museum is housed in several corridors large enough to house a conference center and numerous full size exhibits about the salt mining still going on several miles away. You can take underground train and tram rides to less restored parts of the mine.  

Adjacent to Strataca is Underground Vaults and Storage where Hollywood studios take advantage of the mine's security and stable temperature and humidity to preserve their irreplaceable master prints, costumes and props.  You can't tour the vaults themselves, but they have put some of the contents on display in the museum.

Full hookup camping is available at the Kansas State Fairgrounds except in September when the State Fair is underway.  It's a short drive from there to the Cosmosphere and Stratica.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:27 PM, Dmworthi said:

...Anything good to see or do along 70...?

How far away from I-70 are you willing to go? Would you consider US highways instead of I-70? How long do you have? You will be passing through 4 states between Colorado and Ohio. You could easily spend a month in each one. Lots to see and do.

23 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

Ike Eisenhower Library, Museum and boyhood home in Abilene, KS. . 

There is Harry Truman's Presidential library at Independence MO.

and Herbert Hoover's at West Branch, Iowa off I-80 in Eastern Iowa.if you go north

Illinois use to have some good State Parks but lack of a budget, the campgrounds have suffered. Either the roads are poorly maintained ( or no maintenance for 3 years) you have trouble navigating the hills or the trees hang low if stopping in Ill read the reveiws or stay in the C of E but weekend are booked weeks inadvance.

Happy travels and enjoy

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Archived