Power Steering Hose Leak?

SuiteSuccess

Sclord2002 looked at this with me at the ECR but now have time to get it fixed.  Looks like one of my power steering hoses is leaking.  What do you think? And is it gonna cost me big $$.

GlYO5hSl.jpg

KXydG7Fl.jpg

1L7GcPcl.jpg

iyB5DQAl.jpg

Last pic is pooling on frame rail.  Not as huge amount as pic would indicate.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Had mine replaced at my local shop. they built a new high pressure hose that was weeping and the idler  pulley at the same time. I can't remember what it cost but the hose is not really expensive. The low pressure hose was OK

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Carl,

Coast down the hill to one of those hydraulic shops you can see from your porch, with the hose in hand, or just take the truck.  They might even change it for you. I doubt it'll cost more that $40.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

It was pretty easy, especially if you don't have to remove the alternator, (or was the compressor).  Did all three of mine.

But it does look like you need a little hose protection around those two hoses going thru the frame.

Rocky,

Thanks for pointing that out.  I didn't really notice.  Looks like the grommet is gone. May have chaffed a hole in the hose.

Rick,

If I can easily get it off, may try it myself and do as you suggest.  Also going over to Crossville in few days, may just drop it off at J&K Truck repair and let them do it.  Their labor is much cheaper than Volvo shop.  I'm just not able to crawl around under truck like before.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I, too have what looks like the "high" pressure hose leaking.  I think I'm in the situation as mentioned above, getting the hose disconnected from behind the alternator.

Anyone with experience care to explain how they may have done that, as in, does the alternator need to come out first?   Also, I suspect with engine off their would be a minimal loss of fluids?

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

8 hours ago, redcrzr said:

I, too have what looks like the "high" pressure hose leaking.  I think I'm in the situation as mentioned above, getting the hose disconnected from behind the alternator.

Anyone with experience care to explain how they may have done that, as in, does the alternator need to come out first?   Also, I suspect with engine off their would be a minimal loss of fluids?

Todd

Todd,

You beat me to it, lol.  Was going to ask the same question.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Try this link guys.  This was just done last year to replace a leaky hose that was up by the block.  Couldn't get any tool on it, so I had to remove the alternator.  That was a job in itself.  Getting it back in was not easy.  I will re-read it myself and get back with any hints I found.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Hints:

You will need to loosen the strap around your reservoir.  This is so you can get to the ring clamps around those hoses going into and out of that.

If you are able to get wrenches on the fittings behind the alternator, then you are gold!

Otherwise, you will need to remove that bolt that the alternator hinges on.  It wasn't simply a matter of swinging it out of the way.  Complete removal.

Reinstalling it wasn't easy either.  After multiple tries at just putting it back into place in order to run the long bolt thru it, I noticed what was hanging it up.  Now remember you are doing this while holding the alternator and trying to place it exactly where it came out.  But there is a small bushing on the right hand side that needs to be pressed into the bracket so that you can have a clear and easy placement.  That bushing will come back in when you tighten the bolt and nut.

I hope you can replace those hoses without having to remove the alternator.  I have a 2001, so maybe Volvo made it "better" later on.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

3 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

Hints:

You will need to loosen the strap around your reservoir.  This is so you can get to the ring clamps around those hoses going into and out of that.

If you are able to get wrenches on the fittings behind the alternator, then you are gold!

Otherwise, you will need to remove that bolt that the alternator hinges on.  It wasn't simply a matter of swinging it out of the way.  Complete removal.

Reinstalling it wasn't easy either.  After multiple tries at just putting it back into place in order to run the long bolt thru it, I noticed what was hanging it up.  Now remember you are doing this while holding the alternator and trying to place it exactly where it came out.  But there is a small bushing on the right hand side that needs to be pressed into the bracket so that you can have a clear and easy placement.  That bushing will come back in when you tighten the bolt and nut.

I hope you can replace those hoses without having to remove the alternator.  I have a 2001, so maybe Volvo made it "better" later on.

Rocky,

I left you a phone message.  Just checked my alternator and it is a platform type.  However, I just may be lucky as that back right bolt that gives everyone fits does not seem to be installed on my alternator.  I could get my fingers back there and could not feel a bolt head or a nut and could feel threads in the hole.  I will have to remove my alternator to get to the hose.  Did you have your hoses fabricated or did you just get from Volvo?  Also we have trip to Virginia in next few days so won't be able to work on it til I get back.  Fluid level is fine.  Should it be an issue to drive on that trip?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

9 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Carl, almost every O'Riellys auto parts in this area can custom make just about any type of hydraulic hose you need and do it a LOT cheaper than a Volvo dealer.

Thanks David.  Will give a call.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived