Sewer Hose Length?

I found a couple of older threads on this subject, but they are now closed.  From those, it seems the Rhino Flex with the swivel end connectors is a good choice.  I'm trying to decide on a model that comes with two 10' connectable lengths or the single 15' length.  Which would you choose?

You need a 20', two 10' and a 5'.  And yes, there are times that might not be enough, especially if you have a motorhome at older parks that have all of the utilities at the very back of long sights/pull throughs.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We have the 15' and one 10' extension. I rarely have to pull out the extension (usually in a situation like Barbara describes). We've never not been able (I know - double negative) to get hooked up. Our sewer outlet is a few feet in front of the front axle on a fifth wheel.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

We carry a single 5' hose with three 10' extensions for those rallys or parks that require them (which, I admit, is rare).  I usually carry a NEW hose in the box for a needy neighbor. I simply replace it the next time I happen to be in Camping World.  No, I don't ask for my loner hose to be returned.   

oRV

75065 Lifetime Member

2010 Phaeton 40 QTH

2014 Honda CR-V Toad

Hold onto your hoses everyone, there is a new product on the block made by Thetford.  Seeing as I just got off the poop and sanitation topic elsewhere, I figured I may as well get my hands dirty here.

This new system was first at the Tampa show this year.  Green ends and a collapsible greyish tube. They come in 10 and 15' lengths.  You can walk on them without splitting or kinking them like what happened with my Rhino AND they are a lot easier to take apart. 

Cost is similar to Rhino.

I've had both my wrists broken at the same time so somewhat limited on flexion and extension.  Also had a tuff time getting Rhino apart.  The Thetford system is the best I've come across.  Found at Camping World.

http://www.thetford.com/thetford-introduces-titan/

Why is it I'm always drawn to topics like this....how did I get here?

1 hour ago, Second Chance said:

We have the 15' and one 10' extension. I rarely have to pull out the extension (usually in a situation like Barbara describes). We've never not been able (I know - double negative) to get hooked up. Our sewer outlet is a few feet in front of the front axle on a fifth wheel.

Rob

Rob, our utility bay is just a little back from our midpoint, or about 15' from the back of the coach.  When pulling in for the night, we have another 12'  from the drop down hitch and the back of the car - - which means utilities at the back of a pull through site are a long haul from our utility bay.   Older parks mean we often have to unhook the car during our stay and place it in front in order to hook up not just sewer, but also electric and water.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

"Why is it I'm always drawn to topics like this....how did I get here? "

we've got to stop meeting here-people will start to talk.

I have most often gotten by with 15-20 ft length but am usually prepared for thirty and I have needed it more than I thought I would. You know what the Boy Scout motto is. BE PREPARD.  Thats most likely how my trailer has gotten so overloaded.

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

Rob, our utility bay is just a little back from our midpoint, or about 15' from the back of the coach.  When pulling in for the night, we have another 12'  from the drop down hitch and the back of the car - - which means utilities at the back of a pull through site are a long haul from our utility bay.   Older parks mean we often have to unhook the car during our stay and place it in front in order to hook up not just sewer, but also electric and water.

Ah! I never understood why so many people needed so many hoses. Thanks Barb for explaining that. We had 2 10' hoses but I don't think we ever used the second one. Apparently that's because our sewer hookups were near the back of our rigs. Once again, the answer appears to be "It depends."

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

One  reason to carry lots of power cord, sewer pipe and water hose.  I do a lot of volunteering over the winter months.  My favourite location has a 50 amp receptacle and sewer/water as well but in order to get a clear sat shot, the trailer needs to be out from under the tree and away from the building so it needs lots of all 3.

I also have a 60' 30 amp cord strictly for others who may not have enough.  So it's not just for me, the xtras have saved others from a ruined trip.

I have everything we carry deployed right now; 3 @ 10' and 1 @ 2'.  We also carry a macerator pump and 50' of 3/4" hose for it.  You can't have too much.  Speaking of which storage was an issue until I replaced the storage tube with a PVC fence post sleeve.  It 8' feet long and holds everything including a cut down PVC rain gutter to support the hose when needed.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Freestoneangler,

If my memory is correct, you have a travel trailer. Where the waste outlet is located on the trailer, whether you have one or two outlets and where the sewer connection is located on the site will determine how much hose you will need at each location. Whether you plan to unhook or not may also be a factor in how close you can get to the sewer and other utility connections. I'm guessing that your trailer has a square bumper for hose storage. I suggest that you carry as much hose of the type you choose as will fit in the bumper. I carry 4-10' sections and have used them all on a number of occasions. 

1 hour ago, trailertraveler said:

Freestoneangler,

If my memory is correct, you have a travel trailer. Where the waste outlet is located on the trailer, whether you have one or two outlets and where the sewer connection is located on the site will determine how much hose you will need at each location. Whether you plan to unhook or not may also be a factor in how close you can get to the sewer and other utility connections. I'm guessing that your trailer has a square bumper for hose storage. I suggest that you carry as much hose of the type you choose as will fit in the bumper. I carry 4-10' sections and have used them all on a number of occasions. 

Just one dump connection with separate grey and black water valves located on the same (drivers) side as the pressure water and electrical connections.  I think I'll start out with the two 10 foot that can be connected together... sounds like that will meet most situations.

I have twice in the past 20 years been parked where I needed more than 20', those required 40',  several required 10', most required between 10 and 20'.

This year is time to replace all my sewer hoses. My new-in-box spare hose will be discarded also, as it is now 5 yrs old, and will likely leak like a screen door when extended. That Thetford link is appreciated.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The best sewer hose system I have found and the one I currently use is the Drain Master system.  It definitely isn't the cheapest system out there, but of all the other ones I have tried this one is far and away superior in quality and eas of use.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/28/2017 at 9:28 AM, freestoneangler said:

I found a couple of older threads on this subject, but they are now closed.  From those, it seems the Rhino Flex with the swivel end connectors is a good choice.  I'm trying to decide on a model that comes with two 10' connectable lengths or the single 15' length.  Which would you choose?

I would go with 15 foot

On 5/28/2017 at 11:49 AM, Second Chance said:

Rob

I also carry a 15' and 10' sewer hose.

I also cary 35' and 2x 25' water hoses.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Any type sewer hose you like is perfect, however I believe you need a minimum of a 10' and a 20' with couplers to make a 30' hose. The most I ever needed was 50' one time and every couple years I need 40', and pretty often there is a need for 30'.

Archived