Motorcoach Tires

We are going to replace our (6) Michelin 235/80 R22.5 11 year old tires with TOYO 245/75 R 22.5 M 154 tires.  The rims are aluminum 22.5 6.75.  I was wondering if anyone has experience with this size/brand change and what your opinion of the TOYOs is.

I know the Michelins have the reputation of being the best but their price is a bit much for a 25 year old MH.  

The original tires on our Monaco were Goodyear . The steer tires were cupped and the rears 'looked' good , but all were 10 years old . We replaced them with Toyo M143 tires . I bought higher speed rating than recommended , along with 2 more ply than recommended . That was 7 years ago . All the Toyos still look and perform as if new . I'll have to keep a closer eye on them until we replace them with the same . I am very satisfied with Toyo tires .

I looked at Michelin tires at the time and went with Toyos due to excellent reviews . We saved about a grand in the process . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

36 minutes ago, Cantrade said:

We are going to replace our (6) Michelin 235/80 R22.5 11 year old tires with TOYO 245/75 R 22.5 M 154 tires.  The rims are aluminum 22.5 6.75.  I was wondering if anyone has experience with this size/brand change and what your opinion of the TOYOs is.

I know the Michelins have the reputation of being the best but their price is a bit much for a 25 year old MH.  

Out MH came with Toyos as OEMs and that is all we have ever had on her.  We just put new shoes on the front - the M154s.   Will replace the 4 in back in 2 yrs when their 'time is up'.   We get them at the Les Schwab dealer in Sutherlin, Oregon on our way north or south - no sales tax. :D

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Barbaraok, I had not thought about going through OR but it is a good idea.  I think that since I can replace all 6 for under $2K out the door I will go ahead and do it locally.  

We had a bad experience when newbies to RVing.  We bought from a friend, a 1992 29' Airstream that had good looking tires but they had been idle for a few years.  We did not use it much and then went on a long trip to MI.  We blew 3 tires at different times and learned lots about the time factor vs. the tread depth appearance of tires.  Our Michelins look great with lots of tread left but 11 years is pushing it in my opinion.

Thanks for the input.

Our Goodyear tires are now 9, time for replacement even though they appear nearly new. I will replace them with Sailun tires, which are the same size and load range; Sailun tires are 1/3 the cost of Michelin or Goodyear, but gaining popularity in the U.S. on HDT steer axles and drive axles they are already a major tire used in Canada.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

22 hours ago, Cantrade said:

I don't know that I'd agree with that but we used Goodyear, G670 tires on our class A with great service. While I've not used any Toyo tires, I know that many RVs do run them and reports are good.

21 hours ago, Cantrade said:

Our Michelins look great with lots of tread left but 11 years is pushing it in my opinion.

There are many who would agree with that and I am one of them. Under no circumstances would I run tires that long on any RV. I would also never base my tire choice on the lowest price but rather I'd want the very best since tires are safety equipment for those riding inside as well as the fact that I have known many an RV'er who experienced thousands of dollars of damage from a blown tire on the RV at highway speeds. I wouldn't necessarily buy the most expensive, but I would choose from those listed as the best. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

As you see here, Toyo's are well thought of for RV's:)! I have not input on the tire size change, but if your working with a reputable tire shop, they should be able to explain the differences and confirm that dual's spacing is not a concern.

Other things to consider, and price, if your are a FMCA member:

-Michelin (Yep, still usually more expensive then others, even with the discount:)!)

-BF Goodrich ST230's are available, at a good price, and are also well thought of for RV usage.

-And they recently added Continental. Which I suspect will slot in between the BG Goodrich and Michelin price wise(?).

----

When we researched about 14 months ago. Hankook AH12's and AH11's were also highly recommended by fellow coach owners whose opinion I respect. They had a lower purchase price point then Toyo's I priced, at that time. 

What I've seen others do, and may do so myself the next time the coach needs new shoes. Is place say Hankook's AH12's on the duals and tag, and stay with the Michelin XZA2's we have on now for the Steers. (New tires, but keep the XZA2's, as I like their ride and feel.)

Again, Toyo's are well thought of, and if the price is right - why not. That being said, go to IRV2 and search for threads with the word 'stinking' or 'stink' in regards to Toyo's. Some RV'er's are reporting an strong odor left over from manufacturing. That some say god way in a few months. But some also say they have them now a few years old, and still have an odor. And many say their's have no odor:)! So, take as it is mentioned for info for you to research only...

Finally, of course ask the tire dealer you're working with to confirm they understand that you'll want tires with Born On Dates of under 6 months of age.

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Good question and great responses and info above. Asking what brand of tires is about like asking what brand of oil is best lol You can get differing opinions. I have six new Firestones now (kept aired to MAX Load at X PSI cold) but have ran Goodyears and other brands in the past but didn't have good luck with BF Goodrich. I've seldom (if ever) used Michelin considering them as over priced but who am I to say, to each their own. HOWEVER I will say I wouldn't run a set much over 5/6 years even if they still had great tread.  It's the natural aging, ultraviolet and weather checking I'm concerned with. The extreme risk versus cost just doesn't measure up when going down a mountainside with your family onboard.

PS I plum forgot I bought some Toyos once AND THEY PERFROMED FINE but I sold the RV before they had much age on them so cant speak to their performance over any long time period.

Best wishes

John T

Thanks to all for the replies and opinions.  

I owned some YOYOs before on a passenger car but there is a world of difference with those and tires for a MH, as you all know.  I have not heard of Sailun tires but will take a look.  

I have to get this done within the next two weeks so will probably make arrangements tomorrow for an appointment.  I think the TOYOs will be the tires of choice since they are really, really close to the 235/80 R22.5s that are specified by the manufacturer of the coach and that are on the coach now.

BTW, during this research effort I used this website which is handy for comparing tire sizes;  You might want to take a look:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=235-80r22.5-245-75r22.5

Powderman

The TOYO M154 is a 14 Ply, Load Range G tire.  My name plate in the MH specifies that load range.  My front axle: 6,000# and the rear is 14,000#.  These tires have about 4,700# capacity each.  I thought about trying to find a load range H tire but that would be stiffer and really isn't required for this unit.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an update and interesting story about the tire mounting session(s).  I looked over the tires that were delivered from El Paso when they were standing on the tire shop floor and they looked great.  The technicians mounted them in about 5 hours and I drove home.  I was futzing around the following Sunday and was checking the air pressure and thought the RR-O (right rear outer) looked strange but kept looking around at the other stuff.  I kept going back that RR-O tire and finally saw that it was the wrong size!!  I had 5 245\75 R 22.5 tires and 1 265\75 R 22.5 tire.  In addition to being 20mm wider the tire was also 1 inch larger in diameter.  The manufacturing extrusions were still on the inner tire since it was hardly touching the ground and the outer tire was carrying the load for that corner of the MH.  I had about 60 miles on the tires now.  Monday morning I called the tire shop and you can imagine the surprise that the owner expressed.  They ordered a tire of the correct size and a couple of days later I drove into town to have it installed.  The tire shop will probably never sell the larger size since they are not a MH shop.  I drove home and all is good.  

Moral: Pay attention to details--if I had checked each tire closely I would have seen the problem and saved everyone lots of trouble.  

On 5/28/2017 at 10:38 AM, Barbaraok said:

Out MH came with Toyos as OEMs and that is all we have ever had on her.  We just put new shoes on the front - the M154s.   Will replace the 4 in back in 2 yrs when their 'time is up'.   We get them at the Les Schwab dealer in Sutherlin, Oregon on our way north or south - no sales tax. :D

My next tires I'm going to buy from World of Tires; prices include all taxes and installation.  No local sales tax.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

DOCJ

I checked their website and saw their price was over $2400 for 6 tires.  My installation of 6 M154 was less than $2100 including our state tax.  (Perhaps the dealer undersold the tires because it took them much longer than expected to mount and balance them.)  They do not specialize in MH tires so next time the price will probably be higher.  So far I like these TOYOs.

The internet can be a strange world.  On another thread I caught lots of negative comments for driving near the maximum load rating for my tires.   Now not a word is said when RVers talk about using the same tires for 10 or 11 years.  My tire dealer recommended replacement at 7 years and preferably 5 years for any tire that has to support the weights of an RV.

I had a spare that was store under my truck and at 4 years it was dry rotted.  I just replaced tires at 5 years old with barely 30K miles.  Again cracking was visible.  The less a tire is used the more often it needs to be replaced due to dry rot.

15 minutes ago, JimK said:

The internet can be a strange world.  On another thread I caught lots of negative comments for driving near the maximum load rating for my tires.   Now not a word is said when RVers talk about using the same tires for 10 or 11 years.  My tire dealer recommended replacement at 7 years and preferably 5 years for any tire that has to support the weights of an RV.

You can cherry pick all you want.  Better yet, why not do a search of the forum.  You will find more than one thread arguing wear out vs age out.  Or, you can keep playing the victim.  

And something tells me you never bothered to read thru the various tire articles on that site I posted for you in that other thread.  There is at least one article about tire age vs wear.  Not to mention several articles about cold psi, which is one aspect of tires you couldn't fathom.  

7 hours ago, JimK said:

Now not a word is said when RVers talk about using the same tires for 10 or 11 years.

Replacing RV tires due to age rather than wear is a very common subject on these forums and comes up frequently. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived