New Forest River Warranty Requirements for Dealers

Al F

Here is an interesting article from RVTravel.com about new warranty requirements for RV dealers. 

It sounds like Forest River is going to try to get tough with the dealers on warranty repairs.  Unfortunately it does nothing about possibly poor quality work by Forest River, or other screw ups by Forest River. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I have always been of the opinion that RV manufactures were just glad that stealerships in different areas would sell their units. To me, this new deal will just open up another urinating contest between the manufacture and the dealer while the consumers unit sits at the dealer gathering "lot rot". Also I see no mention that the unit had to be taken back to the selling dealer or if another dealer selling the same product elsewhere had to take care of the issues. I sure don't look for the same service as auto manufactures handle their warranty service.

19 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Here is an interesting story also about Forest River warranty issues for dealers. It sounds on the surface like a good improvement. 

Thanks for sharing that article.  More positive info in the article than in the one I shared.   It sounds like Forest River is taking some good steps in the right direction. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

It does seem like a move in the right direction for after sales support. 

I personally use campground fire times with other's, and when approached by friends and family for input on a RV of any type. One thing I always stress is to reward manufactures of higher quality built units with their hard earned money. So often, we reward the 'lower priced unit' manufactures with our funds. This then releases thousands of sub built and possibly materials used units into the market place. Which I believe 'conditions' other buyers that new and used RV's are supposed to be built this way. Money speaks, unfortunately, too many of us for too long have 'conditioned' the thinking of manufactures that cheap materials and poor quality is what we want...

Same thing when I deal with any dealer or after purchase support of any product. I expect to be treated fairly, and good workmanship and materials is a 'given' to me of my expectations. I politely and dogmatically work up the management chain if needed - to obtain this. 

Last bit of this $.02. Before I retired, a fellow employee asked me for input on a new trailer. He mentioned 3 that he had narrowed it down to. Once I reviewed them (2 I knew, one I was not real familiar with, so did a bit of research.), I asked him 'What were the deciding factors for you to choose these three units?'. He said he asked the dealer, Camping World, to recommend three of the biggest units he could get, while still being under a certain monthly payment value. I suggested he arrange financing thru our corporate Credit Union vs the Camping World's finance department. Get pre approved for the amount he could cover with is monthly payment (About $25K.), and then sent him about 5 links to used units that were of much higher quality. 

He bought one of the three he'd found at Camping World, two days after we'd talked. His dime, so his decision. Flash forward 8 months, and he came to ask for advice about where he could get things fixed. Camping World would take his unit in, keep it for several weeks, and in some cases return it with maybe a few things out of the 'list of To Do's' he had provided... 

I chuckled a bit. And said I'll send you a link on ways to research dealers and repair places. Cross check these with the places authorized to do warranty work on your unit. (I sent him the link to RV Service Review.). He came back a few days later on some work stuff. And I asked how it was going on his unit. He said he'd checked a few of the places out on RV Service Review, but once he saw their Shop Rates he just ended taking the unit back to Camping World. So I wished him luck, and the next time he asked for input on his trailer - said that I had not input for him. But suggested that next time when buying, he consider and prioritize 'value of product' first, over rock bottom price. And if he finds a good repair facility, be willing to pay more for the comfort of knowing they're going to do their best to do it right the first time. 

===

OK - The end of my story, and my opinion that it is us consumers, that have in many ways brought this onto ourselves... 

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Archived