Battery Charge While Hooked Up

Our new TT does not have a battery select (on/off) switch.  I plan to install one on inside the stow bay.  We've had the trailer hooked up to house power as we've been going through things and getting familiar with its workings.  The control panel shows the batteries fully charged.  Without the battery switch, I'm concerned that leaving them on the 120V incoming power will overcharge and damage them.  Is having them connected for several days when showing full charge excessive?  In addition to (or in lieu of) a battery switch, would you recommend a different add on system that manages battery recharge while being hooked to 120V power? 

There should be a converter built into the system. It converts 110vac to 12vdc. It also has a 12vdc charger built into it. It will regulate the charge to the batteries. If the batteries are not sealed make plan to check water level once a month. Personally I'd get a volt-ohm meter, learn how to use it if you aren't familiar with the operation and check batteries with that. I would never rely on that idiot light on the panel to tell me anything about the batteries.  

1 minute ago, freestoneangler said:

...Yes, it does have the converter, but I've heard that many of these are not able to manage charge accurately enough to prevent stratification...

All converter/chargers are not created equal. You need to get the specifications for the specific model that your trailer has. If it is a three or four stage charger that has a float charge mode, you will likely not experience excessive water loss and over charging. I would still install a battery cutoff switch so that if the trailer is without shore power when not in use the phantom loads like clocks, propane detector, etc., will not run the battery down,

If you are using the stock battery meter... one additional thing to be aware of is that they will always show fully charged when on shore power. It doesn't detect the battery state of charge so much as 12v being applied to your system. When on shore power, your converter is supplying the 12v (so your meter will read "full") even though your batteries may not in fact be fully charged.

It can be confusing when you have heavy 12v loads running... utilitizing the majority of the 12v current from your converter,  your battery meter showing "full", then disconnecting from shore power and find your batteries actually very weak to nearly dead.

As others mentioned, it's important to know exactly what converter/charger you have installed. Some may indeed overcharge and cook off your batteries. Although not as common as they used to be.

A shut-off is important to have installed. However, it may not solve your problem. Some converters pass 12v "through" the battery to your rig. If they battery is disconnected, you may also find you have no 12v even when connected to shore power.

All "if's and's and but's" without knowing what equipment you're working with, though.

In most newer year rigs, a multi stage converter/charger will be installed (of varying degrees of quality), they WILL float your batteries once charged (no real need to worry about overcharging), and a shut-off is only required when your rig is not in use. 

3 minutes ago, freestoneangler said:

It is a Progressive Dynamics PD4000.  

You're good to go! That's a very decent converter/charger. Don't sweat your batteries on prolonged shore power.. install your cut-off as close as possible to you're battery/ies and go concentrate on having a little fun. B)

If anything at all, you might review the settings for familiarity and check with your multimeter to ensure you are getting the current you need AT your battery terminals. Even if your converter is set to put out say.. 14.4v to charge, that may not be actually what you're getting at the battery due to inadequate wiring/connections. In the short term you can increase the output of your converter to ensure the best possible charge rate at your batteries.

I don't know how accessible your batteries are but if they are in a tite spot hard to get at, you may consider a battery fill system. 

It's a system where you replace your battery caps with a set that has a small hose running from 1 to the other.  The batteries are filled by a squeeze bulb.  Once all the batteries are full the bulb can't be squeezed any more.  Saves putting eyes over batteries which is not a good practice.

When we owned a 5th wheel trailer, this is what I installed.https://www.harborfreight.com/battery-cutoff-switch-63425.html

It is rated for 200A. The locking key is removable for storage. It installed mine in the negative cable because there can be multiple positive cables/wires, but there is only one negative cable.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

59 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

It installed mine in the negative cable because there can be multiple positive cables/wires, but there is only one negative cable.

To make life easier, you can always run your positive cable to a secondary post, then connect your additional positive loads there. The only thing I have connected directy to my positive terminal is a shunt. It also makes it easier when switching out batteries... only 2 wires to disconnect.

That's not necessarily the only reason to put your cut-off's on the negative side, but that's how it should be anyway. Electrons are negatively charged so the "flow" from your batteries runs negative to positive. It's always best to cut the "flow" at the source (negative side). It also will prevent you from accidently shorting your batteries positive terminal (say.. working a screwdriver in the vicinity) to a still charged negative connection. No negative = no juice.... absolutely.

1 hour ago, rdickinson said:

I don't know how accessible your batteries are but if they are in a tite spot hard to get at, you may consider a battery fill system. 

It's a system where you replace your battery caps with a set that has a small hose running from 1 to the other.  The batteries are filled by a squeeze bulb.  Once all the batteries are full the bulb can't be squeezed any more.  Saves putting eyes over batteries which is not a good practice.

I second the battery fill system. They are very reasonably priced for a manual one with a bulb pump. Just connect to a bottle of distilled water, and pump till hard. It's as simple as that

22 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

The old "positive to negative versus negative to positive" question is really of no significance here unless you happen to be an engineer.

:lol: Pardon ME then. I'll learn to keep my mouth shut.

4 hours ago, Yarome said:

Kirk, If you had read my post, it had absolutly nothing to do with the +/- vs -/+ question, which goes to where, the evolution of the U.S. standard or the auto industry as a whole.

I only explained which pole is generally preferrable to use (for a house battery bank) when installing a battery cut-off and why.

I can live just fine among the technicians and engineers. What I don't care for is someone not reading a post very carefully, attempting to put words in my mouth and making a derogatory remark about it.

But you're right. Generally speaking, I haven't been too pleased about how the SKP forum has been evolving as of late.

That's all I have to say on the matter. 

Sorry! I had thought that I was pulling your leg a bit, but will refrain from that in the future. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Now you understand why some are not signing up for the Kirk Woods comedy tour.

Just to keep things clear, I am trying to yank Kirks chain but I' m not much funnier than him so don't look for tickets to my show either.:)

On 5/27/2017 at 11:05 AM, Kirk Wood said:

Sorry! I had thought that I was pulling your leg a bit, but will refrain from that in the future. 

Pull away my friend. :P Just give me a "smiley" so I know when you're jerking my chain. My mistake.

Archived