AZ MDT Registration - UPDATE

jfaulkner

Been full timing for 16 years driving an International 4700 MDT with Florida registration using standard drivers license. Decided to stop full timing and change resident to Arizona. Went to DMV in Yuma, AZ to change registration and drivers license. They were adamant that a CDL was required. Not only that, but in my driving test using my MDT, I could not tow my fiver. I had to locate a flat bed trailer to tow. Have decided for the time being to to stay with Florida.

Anyone else registered a MDT in Arizona?

Jer

UPDATE

In AZ, if you are registering a truck that has a GVWR of 20,001 lbs or higher, you are required to have a CDL. As it turns out, when Weirs converted my "cab/chassis" truck to a "RV Hauler", they re-certified the truck to a GVWR of 20,000 lbs instead of 20,001 lbs and placed a sticker on the driver's side door jam. I had never noticed this change. Florida did not ask when I registered my truck in Florida. I took a picture of the sticker and showed it to AZ DMV personnel. My wife and I are now Arizonians with AZ Drivers License and have our car, truck and fiver registered in Arizona. At first they were going to give me a commercial plate for the truck, but after a bit of back-and-forth they agreed to give me what they referred to as a "truck/tractor" plate. It does not have any wording on it, just numbers.  

The cost was $350.26 with a weight of 19,000 lbs. I gave a weight of 19,000 because the truck weighs 13,500 with full fuel, tools, a couple of passengers and a pin weigh of 4000. I wanted a little leeway, and there was no difference in cost for 18,000. 

By the way, I took a picture of my truck and a picture of the sticker to the Port-of-Entry here in Yuma before I went to DMV. The officers agreed I did not need a CDL and told me to call if DMV still insisted. 

Jer

International 4700LP (2000)

Travel Supreme (36RLTSOA)

Fulltimer

• 2 weeks later...

When I switched from South Dakota plates to Az the lady in the DMV office asked questions. How many axles? How many doors, she said sounds like a 4 door dually pick up to her and I was given truck plates up to 20,000lbs gross. I said thank you and paid the plate charges and left. I guess it all depends on who ya get at the window and how they want to figure out what to charge you. My Stallic Box and International  400 Lo Pro was rated to 20,000 lbs.

Stacey Frank
SKP #67438
2013 Tiffin Allegro RED 34QFA

2015 Cadillac SRX
2019 Tesla Model X

1991 Avanti Convertible

Archived