Shelf-Life and Life-cycle of Motorhome Tires?

npetersjr

What is acceptable shelf-life of new tires being installed on a motorhome?

Yesterday, 24 May 2017, had six “new tires” (275/70R22.5) installed on my motorhome, tires made by a national company.  When I arrived home checked tires DOT made date and learned “new tires” were made 3415 making them already almost two years old.  Today upon investigation with two separate national tire manufactures I was told tires have a shelf-life of three years being held for sell in the national company warehouse and a life-cycle of ten years.  I feel that this is unsettling, as I had understood it best to keep tires on motorhome based on DOT date tires were made for five or six years. My old tires which were replaced were made in Oct or Nov of 2012, but not installed on motorhome until April 2013.  Comments/Guidance Desired Please.

When I get new tires for our fifth wheel I tell them I will accept only tires 6 months old or less and I will check them before they are installed.  We are on our third set, both replacement sets (made in the USA) have been less than 2 months old.  The current set less than 1 month.  The original tires were about 4 months old.  Trailer Tire & Wheels has good turnover and fresh tires from my experience.      Greg  

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

I always insist that I be allowed to see the date code on tires that I buy before they are installed. There are two ways that those codes get so far out of date, one is that the dealer doesn't sell many of a particular tire and the other is that he doesn't rotate his stock properly, always just putting the newly arriving tires on the top so that the one at the very bottom doesn't get sold unless he runs completely out of tires. In this case, the problem is greater since the tires are already installed and probably paid for. 

I would ask that the dealer gives me a written guarantee that he will warrant the tires against all tire issues and damages resulting from those tires failing and sign it. If he won't do that, they I would want at least a 30% price refund. I doubt that the selling dealer will be agreeable to either of those solutions so you may have to talk with an attorney about the problem if you have already paid for them. On the other hand, there has been a great deal of publicity about the selling of outdated tires recently so you may get lucky. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 hours ago, Big Greg said:

When I get new tires for our fifth wheel I tell them I will accept only tires 6 months old or less and I will check them before they are installed. 

X2.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

While latest manufactured date is desirable, the mfgrs. warranty doesn't begin until the sales receipt is completed. No receipt?; then the warranty period began with the date on the tire.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

9 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

While latest manufactured date is desirable, the mfgrs. warranty doesn't begin until the sales receipt is completed. No receipt?; then the warranty period began with the date on the tire.

While that is true, the manufacturer's warranty does not normally pay for damages caused to the RV by a blown tire. Most tire warranties will have a disclaimer for consequential damage. 

I sure do see this from both sides.

Tire Manufactures:

Provide 'tire' warranty from 'In Service' and or 'Purchase Date'. Them, and the warehouse with thousands of tires, usually claim that 'Tires don't age I'm the warehouse. And they have a product that costs a bit of coin to make, advertise and distribute. 

Usually the trucking industry will grab a tire regardless of date - as they wear their tires out via miles of usage - to age. 

RV Owners:

We typically change tires due to age, to miles or wear. 

So for us, the Born On Date is important. Though if we took care of the tires and know they've never been run under-inflated and or abused while traveling - we might feel safe going 6, 12, etc. months further then say 7 years. Buy, the moment we may go to sell our coach - well informed Buyer's DO LOOK AT Born On Date of a tire - and negotiate accordingly. 

So I support for RV owner's - making the age of a tire to be part of agreement to purchase. 

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

The most recent story about this sort of problem that I could find was this one from WMAR Baltimore about the issue. They also make reference to Safety Research & Strategies who have some interesting information on their website. 

Archived