Hill Start Assist

Mastercraft

The Volvo Ishift trucks I understand are available with Hill Start Assist.   So, for a truck that doesn't have that feature, is it a software change only or is there hardware required to go along with it?

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

For an Ultrashift it takes a set of 3 valves, some frame plumbing, a harness layer or two, a dash switch, and some trans and dash programming to activate it.  Have no idea on an I-Shift/Volvo but imagine it is a somewhat similar type of thing.

34 minutes ago, Scrap said:

For an Ultrashift it takes a set of 3 valves, some frame plumbing, a harness layer or two, a dash switch, and some trans and dash programming to activate it.  Have no idea on an I-Shift/Volvo but imagine it is a somewhat similar type of thing.

That is like a heart surgeon saying "It's simple really, crack the ribs, tie this off here, pull this over there, remove the heart and replace it with a donor heart and install in the reverse order".

I love how you make things sound so simple and then show me just how simple it is

:)

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Same on a Volvo....it involves more than programming. What, exactly, I don't know....but it is not an easy retrofit.

I've driven three Volvo's with it...and own one. I initially did not like it. But I've warmed to it. If I order a new truck it will be on it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I have had it on company work trucks and on my 630. I will not be getting it on my new VNR. Every time you stop it grabs and holds and I find it can be jerky in tight maneuvers. Its a automatic trans, you just slide from the brake pedal to the gas the clutch is done automatically so I don't see the need. If you were very heavy and on super steep grades all day every day then maybe but other than that it is more of a nuisance IMHO.

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

My brake pedal on my Ultrashifts works just perfectly as a hill start assist as long as I have two feet.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

12 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I have the hill start assist on mine but if need be, I can always switch it off on the dash. With that capability, I don't understand why you wouldn't have it on a truck.

Ditto!

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

13 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I have the hill start assist on mine but if need be, I can always switch it off on the dash. With that capability, I don't understand why you wouldn't have it on a truck.

Because it is something that you always have to turn off over and over. If it just stayed off it would not be a big deal. It is just not needed with a automated trans. If you already have it then no biggie but like I had said I would not spec it on a new truck. 

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

2016 and up Triumph Tiger Explorer XCa  (1200cc Big "adventure" bike) has hill start assist ... two up with luggages etc it is a fine piece of kit for those uphill starts ...

Broncohauler - you turn off hill start assist to reverse downhill into docks yes?  Use the brakes ("breaks" on interweb)  to control collison speed? 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

21 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

My brake pedal on my Ultrashifts works just perfectly as a hill start assist as long as I have two feet.

Dave

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way on the I-Shift, due to the fly-by-wire throttle, the throttle will not advance to the point of clutch engagement with the brakes engaged.  You have to release the brake pedal and time the throttle application to just before the brake actually releases.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

3 hours ago, 13speed said:

Because it is something that you always have to turn off over and over. If it just stayed off it would not be a big deal. It is just not needed with a automated trans. If you already have it then no biggie but like I had said I would not spec it on a new truck. 

Don't know what type of switches you have on your truck but when I turn mine off they stay off. The only switches I have that will revert are the non-latching electric over air switches and then only when the ignition is off. As soon as the key is turned, they will back to the position selected.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

On 5/25/2017 at 9:00 PM, GeorgiaHybrid said:

That is like a heart surgeon saying "It's simple really, crack the ribs, tie this off here, pull this over there, remove the heart and replace it with a donor heart and install in the reverse order".

I love how you make things sound so simple and then show me just how simple it is

:)

You are just a set of portable wheel lifts away from making it all easy......... <_<:D

10 hours ago, noteven said:

2016 and up Triumph Tiger Explorer XCa  (1200cc Big "adventure" bike) has hill start assist ... two up with luggages etc it is a fine piece of kit for those uphill starts ...

Broncohauler - you turn off hill start assist to reverse downhill into docks yes?  Use the brakes ("breaks" on interweb)  to control collison speed? 

we have dock locks that grab your tire. 

They can be a challenge to get in and out of, so you turn it off to be smoother rolling in and easier to pull out with out being hung up waiting for the brakes to  release

Archived