I Shift question

Memtb

I've heard that you cannot smoothly\delicately pull forward or back using the I Shift.  Obviously this is not much of a problem when going forward but how can you delicately back up and connect to the pin of your 5th wheel without slamming the pin?  Thanks!

Todd & Marianne

Sundai, Nellie and Maggie May - miniature schnauzers

2004 Teton 39' Grand Freedom / 2007 Bigfoot MH26Sl

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW, 4x4,  6.7 manual trans

Any of the newer, modern transmissions (IShift, DT12 or Eaton Ultra Shift plus) have a creep mode that can be enabled. They are VERY easy to back into the pin unless you have land speed record gears installed.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

1 hour ago, Memtb said:

I've heard that you cannot smoothly\delicately pull forward or back using the I Shift.  Obviously this is not much of a problem when going forward but how can you delicately back up and connect to the pin of your 5th wheel without slamming the pin?  Thanks!

Not true on any of the trucks I've owned or driven. That was true for the early automated transmissions like the Ultrashift or Freedomline. As stated above you could ride the brake a little, and listen to the trans complain about it. But that did work. But the newer trans like the IShift, the Ultra Plus, etc all can creep backward without an issue. I've NEVER had a hookup issue with an IShift.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

2 hours ago, Memtb said:

Hi Memtb,

I own a 2012 Volvo with an I-Shift. I have not had any problems with going backwards with the truck. If I have to go slow forward I put the truck into manual using 1st or 2nd. Everything seems to be smooth going forward or backward.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I guess that I'm living in the past..... story of my life!:)  We really want to get a HDT (at least for those trips that involve paved roads), and are still debating between manual and auto. Thanks again, memtb

Todd & Marianne

Why would you even consider a manual unless you just really, really like to shift an HDT. And if you have not, I suggest you learn what is involved. Because it is totally unlike a car. 

The new transmissions are incredibly smart and manage the truck much better than a driver can. Period. A VERY skilled driver can beat them for a short time - but not over the long haul. Plus, you CAN shift them manually (button).

Some people just love to shift the truck, and that is fine. But the automated trans is so much easier.....   JMO

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

8 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

Some people just love to shift the truck, and that is fine. But the automated trans is so much easier.....   JMO

And I'm on vacation!

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Why would you even consider a manual?

Jack,
    I agree with all your points about the virtues of automated manual transmissions.   The answer to the quoted statement becomes more open when you consider the number of available "auto" trucks along with the fact that until about 2-3 years ago, there has been a large difference in the reliability of "auto" vs manual transmissions.  Then there's the cost factor that seems pretty important to most here.  Just presenting the other side of the coin, but like I started with, if you can find a truck with all the other features you are looking for, then yeah, better jump on it!

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

8 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Not true on any of the trucks I've owned or driven. That was true for the early automated transmissions like the Ultrashift or Freedomline. As stated above you could ride the brake a little, and listen to the trans complain about it. But that did work. But the newer trans like the IShift, the Ultra Plus, etc all can creep backward without an issue. I've NEVER had a hookup issue with an IShift.

Maybe the Ultrashift, not the Freedomline.  It's an air actuated, computer controlled clutch, not a centrifugal clutch like the early Ultrashift.  Not quite as good as a servo controlled clutch, but really close--especially if it's properly adjusted (which is supposed to happen every 250K miles).

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Jack,  The wife and I were owner/operators back in the mid '90's for a short time. We had an Eaton/Fuller 13 in our Freightliner  FLD 120. We quickly discovered that living in a truck was not conducive to building a home and establishing a large yard and working  on 40 acres....... We quit the truck!!!! The auto 's were just coming out, and were having "growing pains". Hence my caution. I wasn't sure of how well they were performing, and I guess that I'm old school. Heck, my Dodge is a manual! And except when towing our Teton thru Dallas traffic, I love it!  So..... if the right Volvo shows up with the I Shift, it just might happen!:)   Thanks again to everyone for the help!     memtb

Todd & Marianne

I can slowly back with my Ultrashift by "two footing (brake, throttle)".  Got pretty good at easing into hitch.  Just takes some practice.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

No problems with slow control here.

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

I will add a positive vote for the I-Shift.  Having cut my teeth on a 5 speed with a 4 speed Brownie box and having owned trucks with 10 speed and 18 speed Road Rangers, I feel comfortable shifting a manual truck transmission.

Before buying this truck, I was actually looking for a truck with a 13 Speed.  I was very leary of any of the automated or automatic transmissions.  After driving this I-Shift I can easily say that I will never look back at manual transmissions.  Plain and simple, the Keebler elves or hamsters that live in the I-Shift, never, ever, EVER! miss a shift, uphill, downhill, or crosshill.

The hill assist might be nice feature if you could get it, though it is not hard to live without it.

The advanced shifter is definitely something to look for, if possible.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

4 feet from the closed shop door ain't the place to first learn how to tickle toe the Transmission Automated.

If you are not familiar with the operation, have the seller take you through each and every low speed - trailer hook unhook - hill start - backing manouver first. 

Also have them demonstrate stalled in gear restart... 

Then head out on the streets and roads. They all work fine on the road. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

As you can see, there are many variations of automated transmissions, each representing "some" growing pains over time. In the late 90's when the autoshift came out they did have some annoyances. I owned a 99 and I was lucky - that truck never has a trans issue of any sort - in ten years. But at this point in time any truck that is newer than (lets say) 2008 and has an automated trans is going to work well. And the IShifts never exhibited "exotic" behaviour. All of the newer automated transmissions seem to be very good, and all have similar features. So I would not hesitate to buy anything in a newer truck. Unless you just LOVE shifting. And then the 13-speed would be my personal preference...but I'd have to learn all over again, I'm afraid. And my old feeble mind might not take well to that.  My opinions only...others may vary.

www.jackdanmayer.com

• 1 month later...

Sorry I haven't been  back to this post for  a follow-up, but was really "bummed-out"! About a month ago.... We found a beautiful (inside,outside, & under) blue (not my first choice of colors) 2012 Volvo 730 - one owner, non smoker,D13, I-Shift, just over 500K miles, for right at $40K. But, the "wonderful" state of Wyo. pretty much ruined our plans! We would be required to license as "Commercial"!!:angry: Not only expensive, but, will be required to stop at scales when on road. Maybe,for reasons not recognized by us.... Maybe the Good Lord was watching out for us!! But.... Still disappointed!      memtb

Todd & Marianne

9 minutes ago, Memtb said:

But, the "wonderful" state of Wyo. pretty much ruined our plans! We would be required to license as "Commercial"!!:angry: Not only expensive, but, will be required to stop at scales when on road. Maybe,for reasons not recognized by us.... Maybe the Good Lord was watching out for us!! But.... Still disappointed!      memtb

Wyoming sounds like Arizona - very expensive commercial registration.  Doesn't matter what my vehicle is used for - the only thing that counts is the weight.  However, that does not mean I am commercial - just that the State will get the maximum amount of money from my vehicle.  I never stop at scales or mandatory commercial truck ports of entry.  I have only two axles, and an 5th wheel hitch, so I'm clearly not commercial.  The higher registration fee is a bummer, but it shouldn't keep you from enjoying the pleasure of driving a vehicle built for towing big stuff.  Someone may have another take on this, but I don't believe enforcement officials will spend time pulling over 5th wheels and their tow vehicles for skipping the scales since the use appears non commercial.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:54 AM, Memtb said:

The only problem I have had is when I am in a tight campground space and I keep backing and then moving forward, multiple time.  The computer kicks out a "clutch overheat protection" squawk.

On 7/5/2017 at 2:52 PM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Move a little to the right into South Dakota.  No issues at all there!

......and you *don't* need to move there "permanently" - or at all - unless you want a SD DL - if that's the case, one day will do..

Pappy, Strongly considered doing just that.... But, with my luck I'd get "busted"!

Todd & Marianne

Archived