oops... I drove with the parking brake on...

Gia

I have a 2004 32ft Allegro Motorhome. Yesterday I drove 30 or more miles (towing) with the parking brake (foot pedal) on before realizing it....    then drove about 150 more including over the Tehachapi Pass (3700 ft elevation) without any problem. Never saw or smelled smoke, the light was not on, and the alaidid not signal.... 

when I stopped for the day in Barstow, CA I set the brake and attempted as usual to level with the hydraulic jacks.  They would not work. 

I plan to get the parking brake fixed in Las Vegas.  My question is:  Is it safe to continue driving today? I'll be gaining about 2k in elevation.   Thank you.  (I won't be making this mistake again!) 

Does the parking brake work off of rear wheel drums or a drum on the driveline., Either one will probably just need adjusting. So as long as your brakes work ok continue driving. Levelers should have nothing to do with your brakes, Look for a blown fuse for them...good luck and safe travels

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Actually, on a motorhome (at least ours and the OPs) the levelers won't work unless the parking brake is engaged.  Now whether that is a blown fuse or not will take some investigation.    Since the parking brake is not part of the braking system on the coach, travel as usual.  Make sure you have something to choke the wheels if you have to fuel up, etc.   

I'm surprised you didn't have a warning horn going off when you tried to put it into gear with the parking brake on - ours sure does.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

First of all, welcome to the Escapee forums! Sorry that it was misfortune that brought you to us but we are still happy that you came.

In most diesel coaches and some gas chassis coaches the parking brake is interlocked to the parking brake and do not operate until it is set. Others do not have that feature so the question is whether or not you ever attempted to use the jacks without the brake set. The Allegro is a gas chassis so your parking brake is a brake that locks up against the driveline and even if it is burned beyond use it should still engage enough to indicate that the brake is set, if it must for the jacks to operate. It might be helpful if we know what chassis you have and also what brand of leveling jack system. 

It should be safe to drive it but as mentioned, it would be well to chock the wheels when parked, just to be on the safe side.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If his Allegro is only a 32' I suspect it's on a gas chassis with parking brake on transmission tail shaft.  I did the same thing with our coach, and no problem driving it.  However as Kirk advised chock the wheels when parked.

Best of luck and safe travels...:)

Jim & Sherry Seward

2000 Residency Mod. 3790

2003 Suzuki XL/7 4WD

10 hours ago, Gia said:

Thanks to all responses,  really appreciate it.   Got all the brakes checked and the parking brake adjusted.  No damage done and on the road again! Gia

Thanks for the update, Just had my parking brake adjusted today as well.

Safe Travels...:)

Jim & Sherry Seward

2000 Residency Mod. 3790

2003 Suzuki XL/7 4WD

Archived