Memorial Day

RV_

Memorial Day

Begun in 1866 to honor Civil War Combatants, it was later expanded to honor all brave men and women who served this country in all wars, and paid the ultimate price.

Between cookouts, picnics, vacations and sales, Memorial Day may be losing its meaning! Please take one minute, at 3 PM local time on Memorial Day to Remember and honor those brave men and women, who paid the piper that we may dance.

A Day to Remember
By Derek Gore

They gave their all, their lives, and the futures they held dear,
They left behind a legacy of sadness and of tears.
A folded flag, the sound of Taps, the pride mixed in their leaving,
With heads held high, and tears in eye, the loved ones still are grieving.
Remember them.

Went in harm's way, so young, and they never will grow older,
Leaving memories, and pictures, citations in a folder.
They left their sons, their little girls, to grow up wondering why,
Their daddy that they loved so well, went off to war to die.
Remember them.

For some it changed, and mother, was the casualty of war,
The arms that hugged them never would again, forevermore.
Yet all were sons and daughters, and left behind an ache,
In the hearts of those, whose turn should come, before their children's wake.
Remember them.

They rest in peace, some say, and who am I to doubt it?
The higher purpose it was served, the enemy was routed.
Some came home, some never went, some only watched the news,
But they will never hold their child, or argue current views.
Remember them

It wasn't meant, in leaving, when they all marched off to war,
That we'd be left without them, from the cannon's deadly roar.
I'm sure that they, would rather, have been here for all of us,
But someone had to fight those wars, someone pay the cost.
Remember them

At 3 PM, this Monday, my flag will fly half mast,
As all across the nation, floats the somber sound of Taps.
It's only for one minute, or maybe three or four,
In tears, I will remember, those who died in every war.

© RV Roadie / Derek Gore 2002

Taps and Amazing Grace can be downloaded here to play at 3PM on Memorial Day local time for a national moment of remembrance:
http://www.mymorninglight.org/taps/

How to observe Memorial Day
http://www.usmemorialday.org/observe.htm

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

YW Pieere.

Good for you WeBe!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Late yesterday afternoon, while sitting on our deck, a gigantic C-5 Galaxy flew low directly overhead on a landing approach. 
The weather was clear, the sun low in the sky.
It was not a direct approach landing.  The pilot was making sweeping curve.  
At his altitude, the Puget Sound with Mt. Rainer in the background would be spectacular view.

We used to see the C-5 pilots making touch-n-go practice runs weekly, sometimes daily.
Their normal direct landing approach is somewhat east of us.
For the last several years, we rarely see them anymore.  They fly elsewhere.

As I commented to my wife, yesterday's landing approach must have been pure joy for the pilot and crew.
And I say to the pilots and crew, you can fly over my house anytime.  Welcome home.

Flag-1.jpg.137d04af2439eeacb77699c8cdce7271.jpg

Edited by Rich&Sylvia

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Thanks for posting that again Derek, it always good to refresh everyone's memory!

I am quite proud of the fact, my mother traced our family history back to ancestors serving in the revolutionary war, and every conflict since.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Remo, Nothing wrong with having fun on a three or four day weekend, If we all take a few minutes time out of the day at 3 PM, and remember them.

Rich, Thanks for that imagery, nice pics too!

Serious storms just went through and damage was done south of us. I'll try and get a pic with my original 13 states flag on the left of Old Glory with 50. Had to take them down before the storm. IT was just some rain and lightning here, but softball size hail about 50 miles south. Hope all are well.

I am usually alone here when 3 pm rolls around. But I still crank up taps on my Bose SoundLink III Bluetooth speaker, and render a hand salute, to cash my reality check.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 11 months later...

Nice Pic.

Once on the way back to Dallas from Ft Hood I saw a C-5 doing an aproach to I think John Conally airport  at waco.  I was on I35 going N. I know it was an optical illusion but I swear it look like it was just hovering in the air from the angle I was watching.  I even pulled off a ramp and stopped to watch it coming almost directly at my location.  It was not the first time I have seen one but it was spectacular to watch.

Jim,

I've seen them coming in for a landing over on Kelly AFB when I was on my last year before retirement tour at Lackland AFB in San Antonio. They do look like they are stopped and about to fall out of the sky.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 11 months later...

Bump - scroll to the top.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Old Glory waves every day all day at our house.  The spot light comes on at dusk and goes off at sunrise.  I see no reason to ever lower her  and with a nice breeze she stands straight out in all her Glory.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

31 minutes ago, DJW said:

Old Glory waves every day all day at our house.  The spot light comes on at dusk and goes off at sunrise.  I see no reason to ever lower her  and with a nice breeze she stands straight out in all her Glory.

Dennis

Thank you.

I don't put mine out on rainy days.  I'm pretty ignorant on flag etiquette.  Is it okay to leave out in bad weather?  Otherwise, mine is flying.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

On 5/27/2019 at 6:12 PM, chirakawa said:

Thank you.

I don't put mine out on rainy days.  I'm pretty ignorant on flag etiquette.  Is it okay to leave out in bad weather?  Otherwise, mine is flying.

It should be an all-weather flag (think Nylon). BTW, you may purchase them from your local American Legion for less money that anywhere else, if they have this program. I bought a double-sewn nylon flag with embroideryed stars for $5 at my post 2 yrs ago, it still looks new.

FYI, Flag etiquette:  https://www.va.gov/opa/publications/celebrate/flagdisplay.pdf

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961