Countertop Refinish

The used TT we just purchased has some minor scratches on the "Corian look-a-like" kitchen counter.  It's most noticeable under certain light conditions and, if the cure is worse than living with it, we'll live with it.  The darker mocha brown color is very nice looking, but it seems the dark colors make these blems stand out.  I contacted StarCraft and they told me the countertops are made for them by AIA (RV Division) http://aiasolidsurface.com/.  Sure enough, it looks like they make these for a number of RV companies... likely the one in your unit.  I forgot to ask what exactly the product name is they use; but no doubt a lower cost version of Corian.

They have several "how to" videos for repair which includes one for scratches (the password is 23).  This involves a series of sanding, followed by use of a 3M polish compounds #10 and #17 available from NAPA.  In looking at the video, I immediately got a "that looks like a disaster in the making" feeling.  I also found a few forum threads on other sites that mentioned using Hopes Perfect Polish (available at Lowes).  Curious if anyone else has tried this or other products that help eliminate or reduce scratches appearance - short of otherwise looks like major surgery. 

I had to chuckle at one guy's post that said "countertop scratches pretty much started at day one and we just learned to love them" :D.

Talk to a local body shop and find out who polishes the paint before it goes to the customer. They can come over and polish it out for you on a weekend for not a lot of money. You can do it yourself if you have a good sander and varying grade of paper (up to Trizact 3000 for a high polish) and then have a good polisher with the correct foam pad and polish. You can get a high gloss finish or stop at whatever gloss level you like from matt finish on up.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

51 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Talk to a local body shop and find out who polishes the paint before it goes to the customer. They can come over and polish it out for you on a weekend for not a lot of money. You can do it yourself if you have a good sander and varying grade of paper (up to Trizact 3000 for a high polish) and then have a good polisher with the correct foam pad and polish. You can get a high gloss finish or stop at whatever gloss level you like from matt finish on up.

The more I'm reading from others the more it sounds like gloss finish, dark colored Corian (or Corian clones) are the bane of RVer's and homeowners for that matter.  These simply aren't very wear resistant. I'm thinking folks who have lighter colored, matte finish are simply not seeing what's likely there.  The dark color glossy finish sure is pretty on the showroom floors and in the sales brochures though. 

Back in the boat building days, I talked every owner I could out of "High Gloss reflective " countertops.  They look good at the show, but reality is cans being slid around, keys, fishing tackle, and whatever else you might have left on the counter when you cast off the lines, sliding around making really neat impressions.

You can minimize most of the scratches with just buffing the material lightly.  Scratches that you can feel with a fingernail need to be sanded lightly then buffed.  Remember that when sanding, you are removing the material around the scratch to level it out.  If you sand too much in one area, you can dish- create a bowl shape- in that spot. 

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I used to fabricate Corian plus a number other synthetic products.  An orbital 3/32" which is pretty much standard with a 220 disc to start out then work your way up to 800 or 1k grit.

Use a dust mask.

Gloss finishes are rarely used for the above reasons.  You can also use wet and dry paper with water to act s an immediate step between grits....so 220 dry will look duller or more scratch than using 220 wet and dry with water.

If you have a divot that needs filling, the color code is on the underside of the top providing it is still single thickness.  A Corian fabricator or sales outlet will have color matching epoxy if is a color that is still in stock.  There is a shelf life, best to keep it in a fridge.

This is a 1.5  out of 5 on the scale of difficulty.

Your wife will be very impressed at your skills after this.  It is not difficult.

I don't know of any fabricators using fancy products.

Roger

1 hour ago, rdickinson said:

I used to fabricate Corian plus a number other synthetic products.  An orbital 3/32" which is pretty much standard with a 220 disc to start out then work your way up to 800 or 1k grit.

Use a dust mask.

Gloss finishes are rarely used for the above reasons.  You can also use wet and dry paper with water to act s an immediate step between grits....so 220 dry will look duller or more scratch than using 220 wet and dry with water.

If you have a divot that needs filling, the color code is on the underside of the top providing it is still single thickness.  A Corian fabricator or sales outlet will have color matching epoxy if is a color that is still in stock.  There is a shelf life, best to keep it in a fridge.

This is a 1.5  out of 5 on the scale of difficulty.

Your wife will be very impressed at your skills after this.  It is not difficult.

I don't know of any fabricators using fancy products.

Roger

I'm thinking of letting her impress me with her skills.  Then, if it does not turn out so good, I won't be in the dog-house... still learning the tricks of happy married life 32 years into it :D.

Archived