Best way to air up dually tires?

jpcoll01

I had valve extensions installed which made it super easy to check/air up tires, never experienced any air loss.  However, I had a blowout on Monday and the tire ripped the extender off of the good tire taking the valve stem with it (leaving two flats on one side).  Wondering what people are using to easily gain access to their valves.

Thanks in advance.

I use long air tools....both the guage and the chuck are long enough to reach the inner valve straight on. They are available at places like napa

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

43 minutes ago, Jimalberta said:

I use long air tools....both the guage and the chuck are long enough to reach the inner valve straight on. They are available at places like napa

How do you get the caps off the valve stems? or do you leave them off?  

8 hours ago, DuffMan said:

That's where having a wife with small hands works good. I would not leave the caps off, you could get mud or dirt in the valve or even water that might freeze and open or corrode the schrader valve. Valve caps were used and installed by the manufacture for a purpose. Check with any auto parts store for a proper air chuck.

Greg

11 hours ago, DuffMan said:

There are valve stem caps called " Gator Cap" they are flow through caps that protect your stems threads but also allow you to air up without removing cap.

Bob & Karen Ritchie

Chase, BC when we are not RV'ing & chasing trains

'06 29.5 LKTG Hitch Hiker 2 LS

'07 GMC 2500HD Classic sb/srw

SKP# 96746

They also make a tool to reach and remove the caps. It looks like a screwdriver, but the end has a small cup on it that fits over the valve cap.  The end holds the cap through friction and allows you to unscrew the cap and remove it, then reinstall when done.  Any auto parts store that carries heavy duty truck parts will have one (or most truck stops also).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

22 hours ago, jpcoll01 said:

I just had a schrader valve (standard tire valve) ripped in two because a blowout ripped the braided valve extender off of it, don't really want to go that path.

Maybe that is why the web page's author stated using metal valves with a braided extension is the better way to go.

My tires have the double seal caps on ...sometimes known as gator caps. They work very well and allow me to use the long air tools that I described without having to reach in to remove caps.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

15 minutes ago, gjhunter01 said:

I wonder if you could use a 1/4" rubber hose (size?) for removing the valve caps. Just push the hose on over the cap and twist it off?

Greg

I had a piece of vinyl hose stuck onto a large nail to remove the valve caps.  So yes you can!

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

I really enjoy my linked dual wheels/tires. One place to check and air up each of my six sets. The tell tale color change makes en-route checks a breeze too. Still use the infrared on the tires, wheels, U joints and differential. It makes me actually look at them to make sure the light is hitting the correct spot.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Archived