Underbody lights

rdickinson

Thanks Roger (and J-T), I want to do some of what you are showing but wasn't quite sure how and haven't run into anyone who has done it..

Thanks and Safe travels, Ian

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

On May 24, 2017 at 8:23 AM, Av8r3400 said:

It may help with the critters, but it will definitely honk off the neighbors. 

X2

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

I've seen/heard of folks using rope lights on the ground.  I have a set that is mounted to the underbelly which can hardly be seen.  I don't use it much.  Critters haven't been an issue.  Generally ants are more of a problem and I've been able to come up with a fix to deal with that problem.

LEDs seem to be brighter but projection seems to be a problem, We went with a higher lumen spot light on our house kitchen track light system..lights are brighter but kitchen is actually darker.  We don't boon dock much at the moment but most of our lights in teh rv are led..  We have had negative experience with LEDs for head lamps is our cars and have moved back to halogen.

I like the idea of colour for indirect lighting under the rig.

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

You are correct, they don't project, but distance is not the issue under the trailer.  I want down and slightly out.

Lighting in the kitchen can be dealt with by adding lights under the uppers, replacing the fluorescents, again brighter but less projection.

I'll post some pics.

You can even backlight fom under the corian tops if you have them.. That is where the high intensity of LED's comes into play.

AOXk3k2l.jpg

JEXzGjxl.jpg

qM0QBGcl.jpg

aa5yavcl.jpg

RIPoeiTl.jpg

zP4r9C8l.jpg

Pic 1 is upper crown mould strip lite on a pinky red all other lites on blue led.

Pic 2 Is lites on underside of slideout blue, the under cabinet lites on white.

Pic 3 Pics of the same lites on white but can be toggled between off, blue led or full blast white.

The under cabinet lite was smaller mounting footprint than the footprint of the old fluorescent so I made up some Lexan plates to cover the big cutouts.  The LED lites were screwed to the backplates, wires fed thru and hooked up..works like a charm. Micro lites are not on, neither is the kitchen ceiling lite.  All on the same old circuits and drawing less than before.

The Lexan shelf came out of Colorado, it has an LED strip in the back edge.  There is always lots of room between the uppers and lowers so I put a shelf in to clear stuff off the counter.  Adds some bling as well.

This is completely do able with an old trailer to bring it out of the 18th century.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?cat=3,43629,70322&p=70326

This is what I used but I'm sure they are available anywhere in the US.  Colors can be changed with the push of a button.

SoK3Cibl.jpg

Vsrq7Lvl.jpg

A8d4eeCl.jpg

The round lite in the ceiling replaced the fan that the slideouts hit and broke the blades. The LED bulbs in that fixture are too yellow but will do.

The  tubes in the other ceiling fixtures are ok brightness wise but too big in diameter and push the fixture cover off so I picked up some flat replacements from the Tampa Rv show in January.  Cost about $20 a pce.

• 3 weeks later...

Scrap - NICE find. I'll have to order one and see what they are like. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

On May 24, 2017 at 10:36 AM, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Funny this thread is up right now, the last pieces of mine should be delivered today. I plan on putting IP68 LED strip lights under the belly as well as two backup lights mounted to the cross bar on the receiver hitch at the rear of the trailer. The will be operated by dash switches on the truck or rocker switches in the basement.

If I get results as nice as yours, life will be good as backing down my driveway at night is a pain in the dark. Never mind trying to get into somewhere else at night or in the late evening in the rain.

I just started mine today! I mounted the ones under the steps first. I also am using the IP68 in the blue color for the exterior and bright white for my custom built lights to replace my fluorescent interior lights that are so dang uuugllly. 

There is a company called Alpineglow that builds a great light that we used when we lived on our sailboat but now that I am retired I can't afford the $125 price tag. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

Archived