National General Insurance Clause

gypsydan

I am transferring to National General Insurance.  When i got the paper to sign on-line I read a clause in item #1 which states that in signing the policy you agree the vehicle will be within the state where it is garaged 10 month of the year. This means, to my understanding, that with this insurance you cannot have the vehicle outside the state for more that 2 months.

Am I reading this wrong?  Does anyone have National General Insurance on the vehicle (which is also what Good Sam uses) who take it out of the state where it is registered to be garaged for more than 2 months of the year? 

Any comments?    

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

The first thing to do is to speak with Miller about this. Are you buying a policy with a "full-time" clause in it? If so that should not be in the policy, and in fact, I wouldn't buy such a policy for my part-time RV either as we leave for as much as 5 months at times. No snowbird could be covered by such a policy either. I would not sign such an insurance document. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have had National General(Good Sam) ever since they switched from GMAC. I have read all the info they send me on the policy and never seen anything in it about any limit on taking out of state where it is garaged. I have seen that posted on other RV forums before and I went on line to National General to my account. Downloaded every document PDF they have in my account and never found any such claim. Maybe it is a Miller policy?

My MH has been out of the garaged state for over 5 months every year.  I do have the Full Time insurance on the policy.

I just downloaded all documents and read all. Nothing in it about going out of garaged state time limit..

OUT OF STATE COVERAGE
If an auto accident to which this policy applies occurs in any state or province other than the one in which your
covered auto
is principally garaged, we will interpret your policy for that auto accident as follows: If the state or province has:
1. A financial responsibility or similar law specifying limits of liability for
bodily injury or property damage higher than the limit shown in the Declarations, your policy will provide the higher specified limit.
2. A compulsory insurance or similar law requiring a nonresident to maintain insurance whenever the nonresident uses an
auto in that state or province, your policy will provide at least the required minimum amounts and types of coverage.

POLICY PERIOD AND TERRITORY
A. This policy applies only to auto accidents or losses which occur:
1. During the policy period as shown in the Declarations; and
2. Within the policy territory.
B. The policy territory is:
1. The United States of America, its territories or possessions;
2. Puerto Rico; or
3. Canada.
This policy also applies to covered
auto accidents or covered losses while the covered auto is being
transported between their ports.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

48 minutes ago, Biker56 said:

I have had National General(Good Sam) ever since they switched from GMAC. I have read all the info they send me on the policy and never seen anything in it about any limit on taking out of state where it is garaged. I have seen that posted on other RV forums before and I went on line to National General to my account. Downloaded every document PDF they have in my account and never found any such claim. Maybe it is a Miller policy?

My MH has been out of the garaged state for over 5 months every year.  I do have the Full Time insurance on the policy.

I just downloaded all documents and read all. Nothing in it about going out of garaged state time limit..

OUT OF STATE COVERAGE
If an auto accident to which this policy applies occurs in any state or province other than the one in which your
covered auto
is principally garaged, we will interpret your policy for that auto accident as follows: If the state or province has:
1. A financial responsibility or similar law specifying limits of liability for
bodily injury or property damage higher than the limit shown in the Declarations, your policy will provide the higher specified limit.
2. A compulsory insurance or similar law requiring a nonresident to maintain insurance whenever the nonresident uses an
auto in that state or province, your policy will provide at least the required minimum amounts and types of coverage.

POLICY PERIOD AND TERRITORY
A. This policy applies only to auto accidents or losses which occur:
1. During the policy period as shown in the Declarations; and
2. Within the policy territory.
B. The policy territory is:
1. The United States of America, its territories or possessions;
2. Puerto Rico; or
3. Canada.
This policy also applies to covered
auto accidents or covered losses while the covered auto is being
transported between their ports.

Is your policy for your RV, or auto, as under the OUT OF STATE COVERAGE the policy talks about "auto."  

Question:  do you have a copy of your application?  You signed a statement when applying, which is where i found the clause. 

I will be questioning Miller this morning, especially as to why they would offer this kind of policy to me.  I would think they would know better.  

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

1 hour ago, Kirk Wood said:

The first thing to do is to speak with Miller about this. Are you buying a policy with a "full-time" clause in it? If so that should not be in the policy, and in fact, I wouldn't buy such a policy for my part-time RV either as we leave for as much as 5 months at times. No snowbird could be covered by such a policy either. I would not sign such an insurance document. 

I am not full-timing, but did tell the sales person I would be traveling 5-6 months around the country. 

I offered this to the members to see if anyone had National General Insurance and by chance might not have seen this clause in their application and are driving around unawares they may not be covered. Now I'm wondering if other policies have this same type of clause hidden in their policies? 

I currently have Progressive, so have to check and see if by chance it was in the application I submitted, but not in the policy itself.

2 hours ago, gypsydan said:

I offered this to the members to see if anyone had National General Insurance and by chance might not have seen this clause in their application and are driving around unawares they may not be covered. Now I'm wondering if other policies have this same type of clause hidden in their policies? 

Your point is a good one and probably all of us should make sure we didn't sign such a thing. I typically read all of any document that I am signing, but just to make sure..........................   Better to check needlessly than to not check and find out the hard way. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have coverage with them on both the MH and my toad. Toad is around $800 more a year then the MH with both having the same coverage. You might want to add the Full Time to it. Probably will be less then $40 for 6 months.

As my home state is FL. and I'm required to carry liability year around and I do Full time in the MH. In the winter I do drop the collision part on the MH and save some $$$.

369070033.jpg

Years ago we got dropped by Geico on our car because of that garaging issue. Now they support fulltimers so we are back with them on the car. A fulltimers policy cannot have that restriction.....I'm actually surprised that it is there since NG caters to fultimers. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

8 hours ago, Biker56 said:

I have coverage with them on both the MH and my toad. Toad is around $800 more a year then the MH with both having the same coverage. You might want to add the Full Time to it. Probably will be less then $40 for 6 months.

As my home state is FL. and I'm required to carry liability year around and I do Full time in the MH. In the winter I do drop the collision part on the MH and save some $$$.

Check some of the past posts.  There have been incidents where collision and comp have been dropped when in storage and then damage occurs through flooding or being hit by another rig, all while parked.  With no insurance, they were total losses. 

10 hours ago, gypsydan said:

Check some of the past posts.  There have been incidents where collision and comp have been dropped when in storage and then damage occurs through flooding or being hit by another rig, all while parked.  With no insurance, they were total losses. 

I posted that I  drop Collision part, nothing else. It has never been in storage, as I have been living in it Full Time since the day I traded for it July 2002 in MI.

I keep comp on it for flooding, fires etc. And I hope no other rig hits it when parked at my winter spot 450' off the nearest road and their is a Avocado grove between me and the road. And no other RV's within miles of me.

“Collision” means the upset of your covered auto or a non-owned auto or its impact with another vehicle or object.
“Other Than Collision”(Comp) means loss caused by the
following :
1. Missiles or falling objects;
2. Fire;
3. Theft or larceny;
4. Explosion or earthquake;
5. Windstorm;
6. Hail, water or flood;
7. Malicious mischief or vandalism;
8. Riot or civil commotion;
9. Contact with bird or animal; or
10. Breakage of glass, except as a result of
collision.

369070033.jpg

On 5/24/2017 at 11:53 AM, Jack Mayer said:

Years ago we got dropped by Geico on our car because of that garaging issue. Now they support fulltimers so we are back with them on the car.

You specified that you were with Geico on your car, but I'll point out that Geico advertises that it provides fulltimer insurance on RVs, but for Texas residents, that coverage does not include the liability portion that mimics the liability coverage that people have with their homeowner's policy. 

47 minutes ago, Blues said:

You specified that you were with Geico on your car, but I'll point out that Geico advertises that it provides fulltimer insurance on RVs, but for Texas residents, that coverage does not include the liability portion that mimics the liability coverage that people have with their homeowner's policy. 

And in addition to that, Geico will not insure MDTs/HDTs. I worked that issue hard with them, including going up the management chain and they would not budge. In fact, they told me they would not do anything "greater" than a one ton truck....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I'd be nervous about getting insurance with a company that had to be talked into it.  I wouldn't want to be in the position of filing a claim with a company that didn't want to have me as an insured in the first place.

I just checked my NG policy and there is nothing in about 10 months in my state.

However, I am glad I checked because I had it in storage this winter for a couple of months and they removed liability for that time and gave me credit. What concerns me is that they dropped my liability limits to 100/300/100 and deleted my $5,000 medical when I called them to take it out of storage and reinstate my liability. I carried 250/500/100 and the 5k med before storage. This left me wide open because I have to carry 250/500/100 for my Umbrella Liability coverage through my primary company. I could have lost quite a bit of money in a large lawsuit. I could have been liable for up to $200,000 out of my pocket. Calling them in the morning.

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

Archived