Onan Marquis Gold 7000 kw gas generator - Sparkplug Wire

Recently completed a lengthy trip where my Generator Spark Plug wire split (cap).   During the trip, I was able to use electrical tape to close the split in the cap... but obviously, this is not a permanent solution.   On a close look... this spark plug wire looks to be quite long.   Before we travel again in the Fall, I would like to replace this wire.   The generator currently will run, so I can perform monthly runs.   The generator has 799.2 miles hours on it, and is evidently a 2007 model

Anyone encounter this before?   Any advice is greatly appreciated.   .   

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Thanks for the comment, Mntom.   Had a brief discussion with the local (30 miles away) Onan service center, and they basically said,  "to replace the spark plug wire requires removing the Generator from the Motorhome, and attaching to coil (?) about 24 inches from sparkplug. Cost, about $1,000... mostly labor."

The service center is generally well respected.

The sparkplug wire and boot is one piece about 24 inches long.   I wonder about the possibility of splicing a new boot on to the existing wire?

2007 Dolphin

In the original post, you mentioned 799.2 miles on the generator.  I am assuming you meant hours.  If so, you might want to do the 1000 hour maintenance early, then the plug wire will be parts only.  The 1000 hour is a big job.  Just had mine done.

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

That (1,000 hr) maintenance is not a bad thought... Think I'll check that out. Yes, I mean't 799.2 hour, not miles :-).   Pulled that out of my maintenance log wrong.

May I ask... approx. what did you pay for the 1,000 hr Maintenance?   I am still stunned at the verbal chat $1,000 cost for just replacing a spark plug wire, and the opportunities for comparison 'shopping' are limited.

2007 Dolphin

Price for the 1000 hour was around $2000.  Mine is diesel.  Your end up with a near complete refurbed unit.  Price included a couple of parts I needed on top of the service.  I boondock a lot, and will be headed to Alaska next summer, so I need a generator I can count on.  I like dealing with issues on my schedule, rather than waiting for them to break when it is most inconvenient.

You will need the service soon regardless

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

The boot (and connector if necessary) should be easily replaced. I did so many times as an auto tech back when there were spark plug wires on auto engines. Alternatively the boot could be wrapped with self-amalgamating tape sometimes called "rescue tape".

On 5/26/2017 at 7:51 AM, RBH said:

The boot (and connector if necessary) should be easily replaced.

That is what I would have thought.   But in my short chat with the only local service center, didn't sound like it. Evidently, the generator has to be removed from the motorhome, disassembled, sparkplug wire replaced (~24" long), then reassembled and remounted.

The genny runs with the electrical tape bound around the boot, so I can do the monthly runs. That gives me a few months to pursue a "sparkplug wire replacement - only" option.   I am going to try to talk to the Cummins/Onan support center for another opinion, and keep Mntom's supply web site for replacement in mind.

Thanks for the comments. Appreciate it!

2007 Dolphin

Personally, I wouldn't even think about calling Cummins/Onan because they will tell you the same thing. Just go to any auto parts store and tell them you need a straight boot, angle boot or whatever is on your generator. You will get the new boot, remove the old one, and if needed spray soapy water on the end of the wire then slide the new boot on. That's it. Easy-peasy!!!!

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Archived