Movie Movers

Wrknrvr

This company provides rv's for the movie industries for movable living quarters.

The were sold to Quixote studios.

But they have mid 2000' s Tetons that are remodeled.

So if one wants to remodel your RV, this will show how much things can change.

Sorry there is direct link but this site will not let me post a direct link.

Safe Travels,.  Vern

Edited by Wrknrvr

• 3 years later...

I own the Quixote Star Verde Blue edition. The registration says it was manufactured by Teton Homes. Have tried extensively to find an owners manual PDF or even just a generic Teton manual that could maybe steer me in the right direction as to the electrical systems- this 5th wheel has three 30 amp shore plugs and three inputs also 30amps. I don't get it

That is different.  Pictures would be helpful of your unit..

I would say it was built for separate generators to be used on location. And they needed to be able to get the equipment there easy. Probably three 2000 watt generators.

For normal use of a 50amp a good rv tech should be able to plan out what to do and implement the work that would need to be done.

Just thinking,   Vern in a T-shirt 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TYfNzjE3y5E2i3kx7

Photos. Tried to attach but file size too big. Each inlet has a 30 am cord running out of it too. They all have converters attached (see photo). When opened the door for the first time each cord was plugged into an input?? Storage reasons maybe? I also have a generator I don't know if that makes a difference. But please help! I need power!

I doubt Teton literature would help you with that.  I have a Teton and all the literature and havent seen anything like that.  I would think that it was added as a specific upgrade for its intended purpose as a site dressing room trailer or equal.  It will likely take some troubleshooting to determine what is doing what.  I would think that it may have had some multiple devices used inside and as such perhaps the electrical panel was separated to make their use safe.  Look at the breaker panel area.  It may lead you to some others elsewhere in the trailer.  That could explain the multiple generator/shore power feeds.

Marcel

Where are you located. That will take some in person troubleshooting to find what they have installed.

Is there a onboard generator. If so what make and size is it. If you have a onboard generator, then it may supply power to those 30 amp outlets.  There may by chance not be a 50 am exterior plug arrangement. Or there could be with a auto transfer switch. If there is a 50 amp input connection.

I am going to say that your rv was purposely built for what it was intended for. 

About 2011 we looked at a fully customized 45’ Teton. It had 4 axles, Motorhome size generator and had everything built custom inside. It had a private office to the rear. I never seen anything like it in person since.

So it should be a very interesting unit. Just going to take some figuring out what is what.

Vern in a T-shirt,    Thinking

1 hour ago, HurricaneJane said:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TYfNzjE3y5E2i3kx7

They all have converters attached (see photo). When opened the door for the first time each cord was plugged into an input?? Storage reasons maybe? I also have a generator I don't know if that makes a difference. But please help! I need power!

The photos were a little blurry, but "SDSA1175" appears to be a surge protector, not a converter.  And I agree with everyone else, those three 30 amp shore power sockets were likely additions from someone else other than Teton. 

In your post just below this one, you included a link to the specs for your rig.  With a 10 KW generator, my guess is that the three 30 amp sockets in your picture were to power other trailers or equipment.

But I don't understand "I need power".  It appears you were getting power from the generator before it failed.  Most 5th wheel trailers have a shore power socket or cord at the rear of the trailer.  Do you have one?

Edited by DanZemke
OP provided more information

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

Hey thanks I appreciate y'all taking the time to check it out. I am in southeast Tennessee. The Quixote is beyond awesome. https://quixote.com/portfolio/star-verde-blue-edition/

I'm sure you guys are probably exactly right when you say it was customized for movie sets, I don't know why I hadn't considered that when it came to the power too. Yes it has an onboard generator, not sure model and size at the moment. It was working fine until yesterday it wouldn't start and threw code scf0 so I don't even wanna get into that yet. 

A picture of the generator would help. It is most likely a Onan.

The batteries may need to have there terminals cleaned. Is there fuel for the generator. Is there a 50 amp power cord. Or a twist loch connection at the drivers side rear outside compartment. I am sitting in a 43’ Teton at the present time.

The interior or is basically standard. With some changes.

Vern in a T-shirt 

It is possible that the generator is feeding each of those 30 amp outlets and when on generator power the 30 amp cord is plugged into that outlet to power whatever is on that circuit. When shore power is available they would just unplug the cord and plug it into the shore power. We did a similar setup when we added a generator to a car hauler trailer and did not want to put a transfer switch in. This way there was no way to double feed since you had to unplug from the generator circuit to plug into the shore power. 

To be sure you will need to test each connection. You may need to find the 120 volt fuse panel (s) and if you have multiple of those, I would guess that would be what they did and wanted to keep them on separate circuits.

Edited by Star Dreamer

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Three phase power is common around movie sets.  Three outlets implies the trailer is set up to evenly load a 3 phase generator - either an internal one or a whole site generator also feeding the set lights, etc.  Having individual cords also gives you the option to power parts of the trailer from conventional portable generators.

The only exception to using portable generators is if the trailer has any 3 phase loads like a large central air conditioner.   These will have 3 breakers mechanically tied together in a 3 phase distribution panel.  If so, you won't be able to operate them on anything except true 3 phase power.

• 2 months later...
On 5/27/2021 at 9:02 AM, Lou Schneider said:

Three phase power is common around movie sets.  Three outlets implies the trailer is set up to evenly load a 3 phase generator - either an internal one or a whole site generator also feeding the set lights, etc.  Having individual cords also gives you the option to power parts of the trailer from conventional portable generators.

The only exception to using portable generators is if the trailer has any 3 phase loads like a large central air conditioner.   These will have 3 breakers mechanically tied together in a 3 phase distribution panel.  If so, you won't be able to operate them on anything except true 3 phase power.

Spot on.

I've worked in the film business for decades (mostly teaching the past years and now retired). 3 phase balancing is important on sets. Typically transportation (transpo) will have one tractor with a large generator on the back that will feed all the trailers in 'base camp'. They do what is called a 'ring of fire', or running large 3 phase + ground + neutral cables, around the whole area where the trailers are parked. Very specific to the film and carnival industry.

I've never dug into the inner workings of the power side of these trailers, but best guess... you are looking at a revamp from the breaker box to the plug on the outside of the trailer. At lease that's what I would do. It's kinda like the RV plug on my HDT/Volvo, I have a box that converts the commercial wiring on the truck to our common RV wiring. You need to get that rig back to one, standard 50amp RV plug using the proper phase arrangement.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

• 2 years later...

That looks like a directional valve?    Not sure of the real name. It allows water to flow to different water lines.

Most modern fifthwheels have one or more of those.  Used as a water heater bypass. Or to fill the storage tank.

That’s my guess.

you can plumb in two shutoff valves to accomplish the same thing.