KenWorth W900L

Pete Kildow

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/25/2017 at 4:53 PM, wild wolf products said:

Sorry double post.

Well truck is still where it was last week.:( Got there at 8:30 am this morning. And he was trying to get the fuel filters and stuff changed. And then had to go pick up new belts. Got back and the batter's were dead. He had to be somewhere after lunch. And plus our Daughters Father in law had passed away last night.

So I told him to get everything done. And let me know, and if he would drive it half way. I would meet him and buy the truck. But I still can tell him no if it does not run right. Couple of surprises on it though. He told me it had the 60" sleeper. Turned out it has the sofa in it from the factory. Not sure if they came in anything other then the 72" Studio Sleeper. 

Wheelbase if 26o" so its axle is toward the back of the frame. As its singled short and that's what I wanted anyway. Truck is dirty, but will clean up great in the inside. Will take hours to remove all the dog hair and energy drink can's. :angry: Don't think the guy has cleaned the inside in the 6 years he owned it. Not bad, but sure not clean.

Engine has a little over 10,000 hours on it. That is low ours for this truck. Miles are just over 600,000. Has the readout on the dash. Full gauge package and dual 150 gallon tanks.

Did not get any pics of it. As I would not ever post a pic of a truck that dirty. Will clean the carpet when and if It gets home. Then this fall, I'm sure the carpet is coming out. And will do  all the floor in hardwood.

I think we may have found that one in a lifetime deal on a truck.

Pete

STUDIO SLEEPER

event.png

Check with your insurance agent, but with mine (State Farm) I have 10 days of automatic binder to let them know I have purchased a vehicle and officially write the policy.  I don't know if there are any stipulations on that as in same vehicle type as you are already insured for, but your Topkick policy should qualify even so.  I've always been a little paranoid on insurance, and make the call to my agent with the vin number before I move the truck and they give me a verbal binder until the paperwork gets done.  That should be a non-issue.

Check with your state's bmv, but here in Ohio you have up to 30 days to "transfer" your existing license plate to a purchased vehicle.  The idea being if you go to a dealer and trade in, you drive back out with your same plate on the new truck and go the bmv to do the paperwork at your convenience.  So when I have bought vehicles out of state I just take my plate off my current truck, bolt it on, and make the trip home.  If questioned, I am going to "transfer" the plate when I get home as per my state's laws.  Now if I decide to get a whole new plate or transfer the old plate once I get home is not really the LEO at the side of the road's business, that follow up would never happen anyway.  Again, non-issue.  Just take your old plate with you (after you check with your state).

Just an observation but, 600K miles with only 10K hours seems virtually impossible.  I'd expect either double the hours or half the miles.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

2 hours ago, NoDirectionHome said:

Just an observation but, 600K miles with only 10K hours seems virtually impossible.  I'd expect either double the hours or half the miles.

Not sure how you figure it. But 10,300 hours x 61 MPH comes to  638,300 Miles. And the EMC matches up to that. And the ECM does not lie.

Hot Rod Insurance is taken care of. Less then $450. per year. And all I have to o is give them a call. And they will email me the card to come home on.

event.png

wild wolf: 

The sofa bed is available in a 72" flat top or Aerodyne, and 86" Studio.  It has outboard seat belts and um I think center... It is a 4 passenger vehicle for sure. Sitting on the sofa watching the world go by through the big tinted side windows is kind of neat, you are seated in the center of the truck so the ride is pleasant. KW sleeper curtains are double lined with sound deadening material as well for snoozing.  The box of the sleeper hangs down some into the baggage compartments. The cabinet on the passenger side has a wood desk/table that folds down that you can use sitting on the sofa.  The fridge will be the old swing door style you have to stoop over to peer inside.  680/880's have drawer fridges. 

Does it have the upper bunk bed? 

Have you driven a KW in your driving career before? 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Average moving speed is not going to be 61mph, probably more like 25-30mph is more realistic (average speed would include idle hours (speed=0mph), accelerating (0mph-governed speed),decelerating (governed speed - 0mph)...those two take a while even when bobtailing...plus cruising at posted speeds limits.  Any HDT I have looked at had an average moving speed closer to 25mph...some were even less.

My guess is there was either a new engine or a new ECM installed 10,000hrs ago.

22 hours ago, NoDirectionHome said:

Can't say on hours, but the engine is the original engine. As for the ECM I have no ideal. But when I asked my Mechanic about it. He told me that sounds right for the miles on it. This is from a man that has rebuild more Detroit 60 series then any of us have driven.

Again one before this one I looked at. Had 1.3 Million miles and 400,000+ hours on it But it was also a car hauler in its past life. And had almost half of those hours at idle running the pump for the trailer.

I only posted the hours I found on the deal on the dash. And it may not have total hours the ECM its self will show. But if and when its here. I will hook up the Detroit ECM reader and pull off the info. But the guy also has paper work. Where he had a couple of small oil leaks fixed on the engine. A  Diesel School did the work. And passed along that the miles on the truck matched the ECM. But they did not say on the hours. And the readout on the dash did not show idle hours or PTO hours on it. But the Detroit 60 series reader does show all that.

And as for trucks averaging 25 to 30 MPH> None I have driven OTR from 1984 ever has that low of average. But then again the last 5 years I ran over the road. The truck ran 7000+ miles per week. As we ran team, from Tn to Ca ever week. Then back home and to Mimi Fl and back to Tn each week. But I never idled trucks much if any at all. Now I'm sure the Snyder and JB Hunt trucks may well average the low MPH.

Will also say does not matter to me if the hours are right or not. AS long as the 600,00 or so miles are right. And the rest of the truck looked that low miles. Or even lower to me.

Pete

event.png

21 hours ago, noteven said:

wild wolf: 

The sofa bed is available in a 72" flat top or Aerodyne, and 86" Studio.  It has outboard seat belts and um I think center... It is a 4 passenger vehicle for sure. Sitting on the sofa watching the world go by through the big tinted side windows is kind of neat, you are seated in the center of the truck so the ride is pleasant. KW sleeper curtains are double lined with sound deadening material as well for snoozing.  The box of the sleeper hangs down some into the baggage compartments. The cabinet on the passenger side has a wood desk/table that folds down that you can use sitting on the sofa.  The fridge will be the old swing door style you have to stoop over to peer inside.  680/880's have drawer fridges. 

Does it have the upper bunk bed? 

Have you driven a KW in your driving career before? 

Thanks and yes it has the top bunk. I have driven a few in my life. Last one was a T600, 3406 and 18 speed. That would be nice to find a flat top with the sofa. But like being able to stand up in the Standup Aerodyne.

Pete

event.png

Found out today, the 10,000 miles is when Detroit was in the ECM. And set something. That is where that showed up on the readout on the dash. Found out through KenWorth today that it came from the factory at 470HP, RTLO16713AR trans, and 3.70 gears on 285/75R24.5 4 rubber.

Pe5te

event.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2017 at 6:00 AM, oldride said:

Hey if your still happy with the buy make it yours and enjoy.

The guy still had not gotten the sensor. And put i on, so truck is still sitting still. I know he farms, and its planting time. so I did tell him not in a rush. That when he has it running let me know. And then we can go forward with the deal. He should have it ready but fall Harvest. 

Pete

event.png

On 6/12/2017 at 0:58 PM, hdonlybob said:

W900 and Pete 379 are the absolute CLASS of the highway !!

Nice truck, and good luck...

Thanks he was going to pick up the Crank Sensor today. so should know if that fixes the truck tomorrow. Looking forward to getting it. But sure going to take a lot of work. As the carpet is solid Blue Heller hair. That dog goes where ever the truck went. Good think is there's no smell, but man the hair. Figure all the interior will have to come out. Then still find hair after that.

event.png

Guys I found the dream truck within 5 miles of my house. But she thinks its made out of Gold. Numbers 359 her Husband ran. He passed away around 11 or so years ago. Engine was blown up in it when it was parked. Before he could get the engine in the truck. He found out the cancer was only going to give him a few weeks.

She asked me $20,000. for it. As someone had offered her that for it. But that was a few months after her Husband passed away. 63" Flat top black and chrome. 400 Big cam. I ran with the truck a few times. It was nice as they come back then. But after all those years, mice have had a field day with the interior and wiring. Plus all rubber items on the truck. Would need to be replaced. So price on that one, Way more then I care to put into it.

Plus the 1997 W900l is way ahead of it on engine and interior. And priced to make the 359 not even worth looking at. And that Studio sleeper well its just icing on the cake. Its the 72" Sleeper and will have to have a fridge as its gone. And figure I will have to add a inverter also.

If I had it to do over again. I would not have even breathed a word about the truck. Until it was at home. I always myself cause myself issues. I have the truck bought. Not paid for yet, as I told him when its running. And I agree the engine is working right. Then I pay him for the trucks.

event.png

1 hour ago, DIESELSUBMARINER said:

That's a good looking nose on your KW. Congrats on it. I always loved the older truck and could never get used to a round nose one. Paccar always built some nice trucks. We went a little older with a 359 Pete. Btw. We have a decent estimate to paint ours.

I have not even checked on how much the paint will cost. But figure I will do it myself. Painted a few pickups. Never a semi. But do it in parts should not be that hard.

Pete

event.png

8 hours ago, Pete Kildow said:

I have not even checked on how much the paint will cost. But figure I will do it myself. Painted a few pickups. Never a semi. But do it in parts should not be that hard.

Pete

when i asked for my truck, they gave me a rough quote without being it and said no more than 4500.- for two tone base/clear. thought thats fair. but it surely has to wait.. got other work to do first :-)

7 hours ago, DIESELSUBMARINER said:

when i asked for my truck, they gave me a rough quote without being it and said no more than 4500.- for two tone base/clear. thought thats fair. but it surely has to wait.. got other work to do first :-)

That sounds like a good price. I know prices have went up the last 7 or 8 years. But used to be a guy that painted semi's around here. He did a whole truck for $2950.oo and it was nice. But he fell while painting a condo Freigthliner. And no longer able to paint trucks. He still paints auto's, but no big trucks.. 

There's a buddy of mine, he paints world class show cars. And told me if I done the body work. And would help him. He would be happy to spray it for me. And if we get it in the shop on a Friday evening. We can even use there spray booth. But have to get the truck back out of there by Midnight Sat night. As the cleanup guy comes in Sunday am around 2 am. And does the filters and all in the booth.

So I'm going to shoot at trying to get everything where He can shoot the paint for me. 2 years ago, his paint on a hotrod was second in the nation at SEMA auto show.

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

Pete feel your pain.  I tried for weeks to get the guy to fix the 610 with a Cat engine that I wanted.  He never did, and still hasn't so I bought another one, from a guy who maintains the heck out of his trucks, and I am sure I am better off, Cat or no Cat.

chuckd

Archived