KenWorth W900L

Pete Kildow

Will be going to check out a Kenworth W900L Sat morning. Older truck pre EGR :D 12.7 Detroit DDEC iii and 13 speed trans. Singled out now but only has a gooseneck hitch. But I have my Trail-Saver to put on it. If it checks out it may well be one of those nice finds. 640,000 original miles. Not sure If I will try to drive it home Sat. If I can get the insurance on it I may. If not will bring title back home 6 hours one way. Go get Tag's for it and Insurance. Then go back and drive it home the next weekend.

Truck has all new Air bags, New Radiator, new Air charge Cooler. Guy had a 4x4 go through the front stack.:( Kid had it on a 16ft trailer. And on a 2 lane road it bounced off and into the front of the truck. Took out the front stack, and some of the hood. Its titled as a motor home now. Just need to get it home and through IL and Ky into Tn.

Any paper work I need to take and have with me. If I bring it home Sat? I will have proof of insurance on my phone. And the title signed and my name on it. Along with it dated and a bill of sale. Its tagged for 26000 lbs or less in IL now. And will have a pic of the tag that's on it now.

Also for what its worth, steer tires are like new. But 5 years old, drives are 3 years old and have 40,000 miles on all 4 of those. Will have 3 fuel filters, extra set of belts, along with hoses in sizes that will replace or patch any of the coolant hoses. All gaskets were replaced 3 years ago on the engine. Was gone over 3 years ago on all air lines. Will be taking my grease gun. And going over all that before I leave there. AS the truck has been sitting for the last 11 months.

Plan on a paint job, Adding the Trail Saver hitch. Figure I will update the trailer wiring. Not sure what it has now. but figure being most of that is 10 years old. It may well need going through.

event.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, noteven said:

What is a front stack on a KW W900L? 

It might be the "stack" of coolers up front.  Radiator, charge air, and A/C condenser.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Thanks guys.

rickeieio is right its the Radiator, Charge air and Ac Condenser.

The W900L was not my first choice. Always liked them, but have been a Freightliner guy myself. Thought I had a 90's FLD 120 Classic bought. But it did not make the cut. Both my wife and I liked it. But I waited around not making the deal. And glad I did, as I would have been stuck with a flattop sleeper.

Not looking forward to painting the Kw. As it will take hundreds of hours on the prep work. But then again I get to do as others have done. Match the paint color or colors to our 5th wheel. Figure it may take a year to get the truck ready to travel. But then again we have 19 months to do it in. If I don't change my mind. It will not have a bed built on it. love the look of fiberglass full rear fenders. And a deck plate on back. And being our plan is to use it to get around in. I will wait to see if we also go with a smart car. The wheelbase looks like it will be short for that. But extending the frame is not that bad. Guy local does it every week. And his work is first rate.

I almost went with a 2016 Ram 3500. But my back does not like the ride in those. But in the Kodiak or a semi. It can go days. And still be rested, where a pickup its killing me. So the ride won that part. Plus just being able to run any grade safe. Goes a long way, then its just cool. To ride around in a Semi. And sure safer all around.

Buddy of mine told me to go newer. And if It had a ISX or Detroit series 60. Just add the Ugly fix to it. And not have any issues with the EGR. And I would have liked to have had a Peterbilt 384 with a ISX-12. But not many out there, most had the Paccar engine. So W900L if it works out this coming weekend. Will just have to work. :D It will be tough to ride around in something that Ugly. :rolleyes: But guess I can put up with it.

Pete

event.png

Really post some pics when you get them. Not all of us on here know all the semi models and styles. I will have to Google images to see what you are looking at. Best of luck.

Gary

2011 CAN-AM Spyder Rt SE5, 2010 Alpine 5th wheel, 1998 Vovlo VNL610

Hopefully 2 years 6 month till full time retirement.

38 minutes ago, oldride said:

Really post some pics when you get them. Not all of us on here know all the semi models and styles. I will have to Google images to see what you are looking at. Best of luck.

Gary

It looks about the same as Barncats red one. Not as sharp as his though. Will take some work. Along with new paint to get close to that one.

event.png

Grumps would always say......"you always know when a Kwopper was down on his luck......when he drove up in a Freightshaker....."

He was likely right......

now I drive up in a ......old......Freightshaker....

Drive on........(how is your.......luck today?)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

As far as bringing it home, you paperwork plan seems right....IF it has valid plates on it now, see if the owner will leave them on for your trip. Will help with any "nuisance" stops. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Still trying to figure out if I will drive it home sat. That is if I buy it, I asked the guy if I bought it, and did not want to drive it home. If it would be ok to leave it there. He told me sure no issues. Leave it sitting under the building. Come back and get it when I'm ready. 

But not sure I want to pay for it. Then drive off leaving it sitting there. If I don't get insurance on it before then. I may have to. But not sure I would feel good about leaving it there. Unless it had coverage. Not saying he would do anything. But we all know storm's or theft can and does happen. Its behind a locked gate and fenced in. 

If it were not for the Holiday weekend. I would just drive it home. And may still do that. Will check tomorrow and see if he still have valid tags on it. If so and he will let me run them home, that makes my mind up. Plus my wife will be right behind me in the pickup. If we had any issues. I don't think there would be. But I don't like to take chances.

Not sure why, as its never been an issue to drive anything home. Shoot I have driven new Trucks off the lot. Delivered to the company I was driving for. Nothing in the cab back then and no thought. But for some reason this time I have second thoughts. No issue with driving it, just thoughts of going through being stopped and someone trying to make it commercial.

Thinking as Pat Summit would say. Suck it up buttercup.. And drive it home like I own it.

Jack thanks on posting.

Pete

event.png

When we bought ours, we put insurance on it, flew to Detriot saw and test drove, made the wire transfer, signed the title and drove to Sioux Falls SD to register it, then ran south to San Antonio Tx.  All in 4 days.  No tools, no spares, just my wife, me and Mastercard.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

51 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

When we bought ours, we put insurance on it, flew to Detriot saw and test drove, made the wire transfer, signed the title and drove to Sioux Falls SD to register it, then ran south to San Antonio Tx.  All in 4 days.  No tools, no spares, just my wife, me and Mastercard.

Thanks Guess I could get insurance before going. 

event.png

I had all my insurance taken care of when I went to look at my truck, make model, VIN, etc.  

When the deal was struck, I called my agent to activate and all was set and covered. 

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Rick $ Pete - thanks for clearing that up I had visions of an exhaust stack...:o

- Kenworth & dealers / shops refer to the rad etc as the cooling module if you ever call needing something. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

1 hour ago, wild wolf products said:

Here's a front shot of the truck.  Will get more of it this weekend.

kw03.jpg

You are such a tease................

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

1 minute ago, rickeieio said:

You are such a tease................

No way but man that bumper will have to be taken care of. That dent from the 4x4 did it in also. I have a couple of other pics. But there so bad, will not post those. These were taken with a old flip phone. The lady is 79 years old that took them. So I figure there good for that age.

Pete

event.png

On the bright side, a 900 is Kenworth's version of the '32 Ford. You can nearly build a new truck, all with aftermarket parts.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

My uncle has close to 2 million miles on his W900 with the same engine/trans combination.  I've driven it too and it is a nice truck.  Congratulations, if it all works out.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

11 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

On the bright side, a 900 is Kenworth's version of the '32 Ford. You can nearly build a new truck, all with aftermarket parts.

I'm picturing that truck with very little chrome or lights, body color fenders/grill surround, low mount side pipes....  That could be a real stand out truck.  But then, I'm one of the odd balls that hates polishing chrome.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Needs the old style headlamps, too. Nothing uglier than square lights on old iron. Needle-nose grille, Body colour drop bumper. Ooh, I'm gonna need a moment.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Guys if I get it. And I don't change my mind, it will be lots of paint. And no Chrome, or shine. Painted tanks, Painted 18 or 20" drop bumper. 13" painted visor, Painted air breathers, If its on there its going to have paint on it. If I change out the rear gears. It will also be swapped from the 24.5's to 22.5 low Pro's. And short rubber, them make it up in the gears in the rear-end.

If I can get the oven built big enough. The tanks, Wheels and all will be power coated. Plan on even powder coating the Air to Air and breather pipes under the hood. And thinking the dash parts will be powder coated also. There's a peterbilt in Ms, its one of those. You need to take a deep breath after seeing it. They power coated all that stuff. And man its sharp. But then again it has a drop dead wood floor also.

Got to stop, or my wife will kill me.

Pete

event.png

Archived