Perfect tire storm

Traveling up I-75 between Knoxville and Lexington we hit a strip of roofing nails (a strip from a nail gun, I know because a couple were still attached) blew an inside rear tire and the flapping rubber ripped the valve extender off of the good one beside it. Luckily it semi-slowly lost pressure and I got to the side of the road. Leveling jacks made getting the tires in the air quick work. Took off the two bad ones and replaced with the spare which still had sticker on it. I noticed it was different than all the other tires, but didn't look at date code (will check tomorrow). Went slow to next exit. Checked temp and pressure and all looked good so decided to try to drive to a tire place about 20 miles away and spend the night. About 5 miles into that 20, bang, the spare blows so I pulled over next to guard rail and three lanes of constant trucks and now the sun had set.  Sent wife and baby in the TOAD to get somewhere safe. Jacks again to bring the rear up and took one good one off drivers side, flipped inside to outside and tightened lugs and limped along with one rear tire on each side to next exit. Sleeping here tonight then will find some tires in the morning. Getting new shoes all the way around.  Rookie mistake not checking the spare for age when I bought the MH used. Live and learn I guess. Any suggestions on tires, Gulfstream Btouring, 31' on an e450. 

JP, I feel your pain,  we just returned from a trip, Cali. to N. Dakota, just crossed into N.D. and blew the LT. front doing 75+ mph, two things I learned, SLOW down and always have newer tires at least up front, the blow out thru us into the opposite lane of a 2 lane hwy for a good 300', no traffic, but it was a wake up call for sure. I also was thinking about replacing the fronts but I decided to go on this trip and and change them when we got back, guess I shoulda.  good luck.

Running on just one of a dual is not a good idea no matter how new the tire. The single tire is likely carrying far above its rated capacity. Tire experts (including those from the tire manufacturers) say it is not a question of whether the tire will fail, but when and recommend replacing both of a pair if one blows out.

On May 23, 2017 at 0:55 PM, jpcoll01 said:

Agree, I had to get off the side of the interstate and had two flat tires and one spare. Limped in this am with 4 tires total and bought 6 new ones. 

Well, after a day like that I'll bet happy hour went into over time that evening.  Glad it all worked ou for you.  

Jim

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

Archived