Maybe a new class for the rally's

Wrknrvr

I've been to a couple of HDT rallies.  I've felt like I was the only rookie in the room.  I would agree with getting back to the basics on occasion.  No offense to all the guys that have been around for a while.  I really do appreciate what I have learned from a few of you.  Had a great seminar on the air systems last year, however, I couldn't fix an air line if I needed to. They didn't cover that part.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

I think even if you have a fair knowledge of things it would be a great refresher course, getting older and having CRS we tend to forget things.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I agree.  At past ECR's we did several classes about pre trip inspection and some basic "stuff".  That has been neglected lately.  I will include something of this sort at next ECR.  Now just need an experienced, knowledgeable presenter.  Any volunteers?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

13 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

Maybe there should be a basic class for truck ownership. 

That is in the direction of maintenance and preventive care. For safe and fun operation of our trucks.

just a thought,.  Vern

I am all for that most of you read my last post on Dead on Roadside.

1 minute ago, Vegas Teacher said:

I am only 45 and suffer from CRS also. My wife says it is selective hearing. LOL!

Funny, our wives must know each other!!!!!

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

3 minutes ago, dblr said:

Funny, our wives must know each other!!!!!

All wives "know" each other.  They must have the same handbook that is kept secret from us.  

I'm almost sure that all women are taken aside for a secret class in high school to be briefed on this book.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

At the National Rally a few years back (2009 I think) we had mechanics from Kenny Doonan's shop come in to cover basic maintenance and have a Q& A.  I have not heard much about him on the forum in quite some time.  Perhaps there is another shop in the area that would be willing to meet us at a Rally.  The economic benefit to "whoever shall come" could be to pick up some repair or PM work.

I think it would a packed house. It is something we need often as we don't put on the miles of a professional driver and we become rusty.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I know when I was in the work force and drove for UPS we had to pre trip everything we towed from every location so as far as trailers went sometime I did the pre trip 8-10 times a day, knew what to look for but it was always nice to learn the working of what we were looking at to help. Tractor was done at start up so that was only once a day. Also really helped to have a good working relationship with your mechanic

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I’m a definite for that class, no truck yet but hopefully in the future. Most likely not going to make the National but already scheduled for next years ECR.

2019 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA (Moving in 4/29)
2020 Volvo 860 (Hopefully on the Production Line)
2016 Smart Prime Coupe “Phase One”

Howdy All,

The air brake class at last years national rally was GREAT, so a class on regular truck care would be wonderful.  What I think would be very helpful to many of us myself included would be a class on side of the road fixes for common problems.  Maybe a sample box of simple spares we should carry and even better a hands on demonstration of how to fix a broken air line with simple tools and or bit parts to carry to take care of such things.  Just a suggestion that hopefully will be addressed.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I looked into having a mechanic come over at one of the early ECRs we hosted.  The company they worked for wanted to charge $125 for the hour plus travel time from Knoxville.  That would have been another $150. Just wasn't in the budget since it was before I charged a rally fee and I was footing the bill.  Now I could possibly get one from a local truck repair in Crossville several folks have used and charge an admission fee of say $5 to each person who attended that seminar and all the $$ would go to the mechanic.  Would be worth 5 bucks to me.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Vegas Teacher,

You missed your first day of class in Las Vegas. I was sitting at the Clark County shooting preserve waiting for you. 

But it was my vacation time so I had to leave.

Now there is a slim chance we can stop by the national rally this year. We may go east on a fast trip for the DWs mothers birthday .

That is not set for the time but it should be late October. So we mite be there.

If it is possible I will leave my work early this year and make the rally.

Now if anyone can visit Kalsipell Montana this summer I could probably give them some things to help with. When they have a problem, not if.

Safe Travels,.   Vern

4 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

All wives "know" each other.  They must have the same handbook that is kept secret from us.  

I'm almost sure that all women are taken aside for a secret class in high school to be briefed on this book.

Just remember: when you do something good, it's recorded in pencil. But screw up, and it's marked with a Sharpie.

back on topic, a show and tell of what everyone carries in the tool/parts box, and why it's there, could be fun.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived