Anyone travel with wood tools?

Kirk W

When we were fulltime I always had my scroll saw and an assortment of both power and hand wood tools. I made small projects for gifts, particularly for our grandsons. We also spent a lot of time as resident volunteers for wildlife refuges where I often spent time in the wood shop or building small buildings, observation decks, and similar projects. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

To carve miniature decoys and song birds, I carry a few wood carving knives, replacement blades, chisels, a sharpening stone and a wood burning tool. They all fit in a very small plastic tool box. Although not just for wood carving, I also have a dremmel tool and a flexible shaft for an electric drill that can be used for some wood carving tasks. The primary use for the electric drill itself is to raise and lower the jack stands and tension the weight distribution bars on the trailer hitch.

Edited by trailertraveler

Yep, when we full-timed I carried a scroll saw and table top band saw. Now that we part-time I only carry my wood-carving tools. A small box keeps them all in tip top shape. I cut out all my projects on the band saw before I leave home and them carve away. Also carry the Dremel.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

I pack what I can get away with going thru the border.  US Customs does not like us coming thru with tools.  Basically my Veto Service bag, skillsaw, various prybars, drill and impact, 2 line laser, Multitool.  My 3 Stabilla levels, Kneepro kneepads, ear defenders, various gloves.

All that is needed to work on cleaning up messes on volunteer jobs.

• 1 month later...

We carry a large tool box , power saws , clamps , hammers , compressor , nail guns , lots more . We many times find work for relatives or friends of relatives , some times for pay but mostly just to have something to do .  We once repaired a bath house for free rent , once we built a ramp for a wheel chair bound elder . You gotta carry tools !!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I brought some wood-craft projects with me from time to time. But I also found it very inconvenient to do anything with it. First, space is at a premium. Where do you set your project up at? Picnic table? Where do you put your outside food items and outside eating then? Folding table?
Also humidity and temperatures.

5 hours ago, jean_rockyroad said:

Where do you set your project up at?

Under the awning, but I only do small projects when on the road for many reasons. I have built and installed cabinets or shelves in our RV, made a few wooden toys for kids, and things of that sort. I don't build furniture or anything of that sort. Since we do a lot of volunteer for RV site positions, I often have access to a woodshop. With only two of us, it is very easy for us to eat at the picnic table while my scroll saw is clamped to the other end of it.

I carry router, saber saw, skill saw, and a few other wood working tools.  Mine are mainly for step building and/or decking purposes.  I have knocked out a couple small decks/steps for other campers to use on their fivers.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, dstuttgen said:

I have my MicroMark table saw, Dremel jigsaw, Dremel tool, Proxxon lathe and all my hobby hand tools. Time to make some sawdust!

Welcome to the Escapee forums! Do you carry all of those in an RV? I did once see a woodshop of that type that was set up in a fifth wheel, toy hauler.

• 3 months later...

I carry a Dewalt saber saw, two battery powered drills, one of those is to operate the jacks, and a angle grinder in case I have to cut some metal. Plus a couple of compartmented boxes of construction screws, machine screws etc. All of those mainly for on the road maintenance. I also have an electric tool canvas bag with multimeter and lineman pliers, crimpers ect. I have a new parts box that I'm just putting together of crimp on connectors, fuses and relays

I once met a guy with 2 campers, he pulled one, his wife the other.  The TT back was cut out and a big door in it's place.  The TT was a wood-shop complete with a small table saw and various wood working tools.  I plan to carry an assortment if I get the TH I'm wanting.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

When we were fulltime, I carried a complete set of electrical tools from my previous job as well as a scroll saw, jig saw, circular saw, power drill,  profile sander, palm sander, small chop saw, and a large plastic tool case of hand tools. Now that we are back to part-time I still carry the electrical toolbox and a smaller woodwork toolbox. 

I don't know if it's possible, but if I was only able to carry one big tool, I'd want a NOVA wood lathe.  Maybe some hand tools to size the wood to a manageable size.  Most lathes I've seen of size had some sizable weight.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

When we were returning to full time travel it was a hard choice between a toy hauler and a Class A pulling an enclosed trailer.  The DW was leaning toward the Class A and trailer combination due to being able to have a car plus the Harley.  I on the other hand would have rather pulled a fiver type rig.

Then I started figuring out how I could add cabinets and design the interior of the enclosed trailer to double as a mini-shop and the Class A idea won out.  It has worked out very well so far.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

• 3 months later...
On 5/23/2017 at 12:51 AM, rdickinson said:

I pack what I can get away with going thru the border.  US Customs does not like us coming thru with tools.  Basically my Veto Service bag, skillsaw, various prybars, drill and impact, 2 line laser, Multitool.  My 3 Stabilla levels, Kneepro kneepads, ear defenders, various gloves.

All that is needed to work on cleaning up messes on volunteer jobs.

I haven't cross the Mexican border with an RV but I've been across the Canadian border 4 times with a truck load of tools and neither border patrol said a thing or asked about them. And we got quick searched coming back into the US once.

5 hours ago, agesilaus said:

I haven't cross the Mexican border with an RV but I've been across the Canadian border 4 times with a truck load of tools and neither border patrol said a thing or asked about them. And we got quick searched coming back into the US once.

The US Border agents take a dim view of foreign nationals entering their territory, intending to put American citizens out of work. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

23 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

The US Border agents take a dim view of foreign nationals entering their territory, intending to put American citizens out of work. 

That was 2.5 yrs ago and things have changed.  I spoke to the border people at the Sidney BC ferry terminal going into the US.  If I show them letters of invitation from the various volunteer  groups, US Customs  will let me pass with pretty much all the tools I want to carry.  All my stuff is in Pelican boxes with cutouts in the foam to keep the tools protected. Even the Dewalt table saw fits in one.  All the laminating tools are in 1, saws and drills in another etc.  The foam contains the tool and if anything vibrates loose then I know where it is.

I'd take pics and serial #'s more for the return thru Canadian Customs or they may think the tools were purchased in the US.

Re putting the US workers out of work, that will never happen.  With all the disasters the US has, they will never catch up.  There were 140,000 homes flooded out in Baton Rouge, let alone small privately owned businesses.

• 3 months later...

When we were fulltime I always had my scroll saw and an assortment of both power and hand wood tools. I made small projects for gifts, particularly for our grandsons. 

The same for me. I think it's pretty ok, when you have enough space for it. Of course, you cannot take routers and router tables with you, like these ( here: https://www.woodroutersreviews.com/best-router-table-plate/ ), but you can take all the necessary small tools. There are plenty of choice on the woodworking market, if we talk about small tools as well.

Edited by theodore6WB