Dead 1/2 on and 1/2 off of the highway

Vegas Teacher

Welcome to the school of hard knocks.

Now take this gently, but as Daryl said there is a lot of experience on this forum.

Most of the time problems on these trucks are simple things if you understand them. That is where this forum is really helpful. 

You need to pay attention to the gauges, how the truck is operating and how things look under the hood.

yes under the hood. That magical thing that has noise under it. You may get really mad at it.

Then sometimes you will want to hug it. 

Ok now you may want to go look at it and start seeing what is there. Maybe by your self at first. Just in case you have problems and do not want an audience.

That should get you started to understand this new subject.

Now be nice to it when you see it again.

Safe Travels,   Vern

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go down to your local dmv and request the manual to read prior to taking a cdl test.  You should read the entire thing carefully, but specifically there will be a section on pretrip inspection.  it is thorough and time consuming, but a good idea until you get to know your truck.  Once you are familiar with it's maintenance and particular quirks and rattles going down the road you don't need to follow the entire dot pretrip to the letter, like crawling underneath and checking every suspension part every time you leave the driveway.  But you do absolutely need to do the bacics.  Lights, tires, hitch, belts, hoses, fluids, listen for air leaks, look for liquid leaks, careful visual and audible check underhood and chassis for anything that looks or sounds out of place.  And I'm sure the other guys on the forum can add to the "must check" list.  Mine gets 5 minutes every time it leaves the driveway,  a more thorough inspection before a trip, and goes to my mechanic once a year to go over it front to back even though it does not technically require a dot inspection being registered non-commercial.

Here's a link to  the testing material for class A test. http://www.cdlknowledge.com/cdl-practice-test/ You can take each section of the test. And also read up and learn a lot. This is one reason I believe everyone of us needs a Class A test. Your driving something that is different. And I will say from 1985, I have never had the brakes lock on me. Even lost a glad hand coming off I-40 at 55 MPH. Hit the brakes and could tell I had trouble. So using the gears and jake brake. Got it of the road without using up what air I had left. Even had the main line from the pump rupture. But by knowing what was happening. I made it off the road. 

You should have dual air gauges. And if your watching those gauges. You know when your air starts failing.  These trucks are not as forgiving as a pickup or car. Gauges are there to use, but so many drives these days. Can't tell you what the Water temp is, Oil pressure, air pressure is . Were all spoiled by your auto's with Idiot lights. They go off its for the most part way to late.

Thing everyone needs in the truck. Extra water, Oil, Metal line that will fit into a air line. Helps to have different sizes and good clamps. Even a tire patch kit and clamps will get you to a wide spot. I even keep a roll of 100-MPH duck tape 5th wheel. Also a extra air governor is and can we worth its weight in gold. When you have one fail. Fuel filters for sure. I have seen a few times when I got bad fuel. Having 2 extra filters got me out of the Desert. I was north of Vegas heading to Reno. We had bough fuel in Vegas. And got a lot of trash and water. 

Tools and research is your friend. Look around Town, its been 20 years without being there. But there used to be a diesel shop off I-15 around Paradise I think it was. That guy in there talked a guy through an issue on the phone. I was in there getting the new Freightliner ac working again. They had just swapped over from R12 and o-rings were not liking it.

If you find a small shop. Some will be friendly and help you out. Allowing them to do a few small jobs goes a long ways toward learning.

Glad you made it home. And may the rest of your travels go smooth as glass. 

Pete

event.png

Total and immediate air system failure causing you to stop right where you are is a real rarity. In my 40 years/4 million miles I have experienced serious system leaks, but was able to detect it fast enough to get to the edge of the road. 

Now you know what it feels like, seeing the gauges drop, buzzers go on etc. If it happens again, you will know to get to the side asap. And no you are not going to get a ticket for a breakdown that disables the truck, unless it is clear that poor maintenance( the truck looks like a rolling wreck) is the culprit, not likely in your or anyone here case. 

The vehicle shouldn't leak anything significant. If it does it needs to be attended to before driven. Basic Pre Trip requirement. Any Rand McNally Motor Carrier Atlas has a page dedicated to the procedure. You need to be intimately familiar with it. A good pre trip might have picked up the audible air leak before it gave it up completely, and in the comfort of your driveway. 

Besides, half the fun of these things is getting to crawl all over and under them learning where everything should be and what it looks like before it breaks... and spotting any irregularities in time.  

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

13 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Cory,

A good story to tell in the future when YOU give advice to people new to the HDT world.  Does not help with the emotional turmoil now, though. :(

You need to go over ALL your systems with a fine tooth comb. Things that "seem" to be a problem are - if you have a symptom you need to pursue it to the resolution. For example - how did you need that much coolant? And WHERE is the coolant going? Have you done an oil analysis? Speedco can do that for you. Your pre-trip inspection should have indicated that you were low on coolant. You MUST do pre-trip inspections. This is not a car. 

You also need to ensure you have GOOD towing service available to you. Generally, the towing that comes with your policy is not such a beast. Look at Good Sam and Coachnet - although ALL the towing services can have issues. There is no golden bullet on towing, it seems. 

You also need to find your air leaks....If it leaks down to warning in less than four hours you REALLY need to find them. Or eventually it will bite you. 

Don't let this set you back. Do the work to get a more reliable truck, do pre-trips, carry some spare air line parts, and some basic tools. You don't have to be a mechanic. Just some basic debugging logic....and I know you can do that. Keep doing what you have been - shorter trips to build up confidence in the truck. 

Jack;

I for one Thank You for all the work you do here and for the HDT family.

But I think alot of people that try these really don't know what their in for. The care and feeding of these "can" be quite harsh, and it can happen to any of us. New or used truck! I know alot that read and get info from here and there and just "jump into" the deal, really don't understand but they proceed. Only to say it didn't work out and sell the truck in 2 to 4 years or sooner with much money spent. Typically that deal only truly satisfies the next owner of the truck.

Good luck Vegas Teacher!

Curt 

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

19 hours ago, Ronbo said:

Most of us have had all the auto shut downs turned off, then we won't be left stranded in traffic.

Ronbo or Jack, is there a thread here or maybe Jack's website with more info on this?  It seems like there would be auto shut-downs that are no big deal to eliminate, and some that are left alone for safety. ( brakes come to mind  ?)

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Brakes apply in absence of air. Not much one can do here.

Thanks Glenn.  Being comparatively new to the subject, I thought that was true but wasn't 100% sure.  Even if there were some way to tamper with them, I wouldn't.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Good Morning Vegas,

My first question is do you know where the coolant is going? Is it still leaking down? I had this problem once and the solution was 2 person to find (my second person was the repair guy). They could find nothing wrong with mine. No obvious leaks, It passed a pressure test but I was losing coolant. We finally fired it up and brought it up to 1100 - 1400 RPM and the repair guy was under the truck. Turned out there is a drain valve (I think that is what it is) on the passenger side waaaayy up high and when the RPM's were high enough it forced the coolant past the seal. It was also threaded on the inside. A pipe plug in the valve stopped the leak and it has been fine for several years now.

Brad    

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

The coolant reservoir has a leak, it is a slow leak but it does leak. Here is a list of things I am going to do:

First and foremost I am in this for the long haul. My wife and I want to be full timers when we retire, I am just getting an early start on it so I will have us all set up by then. I retire in 13 years my wife retires in 4 years. I had a lot more fun in college, I stayed and got a masters degree then I got an E.D.S degree, I taught in Stockton Missouri for two years then moved to Vegas in 2000 so I have to teach until 2030 to get my full retirement:(. My wife plowed through school, came straight to Vegas in 1993 and started teaching. I am from Kansas, she is from Michigan, we met out here. We both teach science and we are both at the same school. Now back to the list..........

1. Find a 2010 Volvo 780 manual & read it.

2. Buy a full tool set including a rechargeable impact wrench and deep impact sockets.

3. One of each type of fluid.

4. Hoses, Belts, Fittings and Clamps or the fancy things you clamp hoses with that the screw tightens and it pull the metal through it and creates pressure on the hose.

5. Just get to know my truck and the engine. 

6. I can hear air right now, especially when I have driven for a few miles then I turn off the truck. Somewhere in the back air is leaking out.

7. Pre-trip inspection list printed off and then Laminated (maybe by the graphic arts department at school) so I have a check list I can use a visa-via marker and check it off then wipe it off for the next trip.

8. Replace the Schrader Valve - Called the Volvo Dealership and TEC repair shop here in Vegas I took a picture of the part that was missing or had blown off and they confirmed what I needed, part will cost me under 20.00.

9. The TEC light is on, on my dash. Flyer and I drove from Florida with it on, does anybody know what the means I tried a google search and found nothing related to a semi and some movies popped up my wife is questioned me about. LOL!

10. So if I do find problems that are easier fixes and if I post them in the forum can you, the other forum members walk me through how to fix them. That is also why I want to drive it up to the WCR so some of you experienced drivers can show me just how easy it is, and show off your talents and teach me hands on.

11. All of my education in college is Biology and Teaching. I have a Masters degree in Biology - there are some parallels between the human body and body systems and the truck and truck systems, but in College a teacher taught, lectured and explained what was going on. I am thinking of enrolling in night classes for Diesel Mechanics at the College of Southern Nevada. However that is expensive, I might look into an audit course. CDL courses alone are 2500.00 plus here in Vegas. I have already called them.

Once again I do appreciate your help advice and knowledge. If anybody knows what the TEC light is please let me know but Flyer and I drove all the way from Florida to Vegas with it on. 

Later,

Vegas Teacher - Cory Ossana

15 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Replace the Schrader Valve - Called the Volvo Dealership and TEC repair shop here in Vegas I took a picture of the part that was missing or had blown off and they confirmed what I needed, part will cost me under 20.00.

Where is this valve located?

Thanks,

1 minute ago, MrSeas said:

Where is this valve located?

Thanks,

This is in plain sight, coming off of a hose near back of the engine compartment close the firewall on the drivers side. It is threaded and the piece just screws in. I was going to go last night to pick it up but I had to pick up German Shepherds which were boarded and then go to Schutzhund practice, it was another late night, and I am getting low on sleep. So today I am going to go pick it up right after school, then turn around and go back to school for Senior awards night.

You know maybe I should not have gotten into this now. LOL, if I were retired I would have a lot more free time to chase down problems and make repairs that are needed. No I love having the truck, I love driving the truck and if I get it all set up now It will be great for when I retire. 

Cory O

Re the coolant reservoir, I had to replace mine a couple of months ago.  The fittings click into place, no clamps. Make sure the one on the top as well as the one at the bottom are clicked into place.  Both have black hoses attached. The one at the bottom has the sensor.  That is the one that as leaking.  As I recall there were other issues inside the tank which could not be seen.

The whole unit needed to be replaced, 450$ plus labor of 1-2 hrs.  We tried all sorts of ideas to get out of replacing it but no luck.  If there was one, it would be mickey mouse.

I also pack  about 5 gallons of water in the passengers storage area where the A frame for the winch goes..

After speaking to a number of different firms and individuals, I limit myself to Serpentine belt and fuel filters.  I may not be able to change the belt but a mobile tech or truck stop could thereby eliminating the wait for parts to come in.

I do a full Pre trip before departure on a long trip, do a walk around at every pit stop and each day when on the road do a more thorough check .  Rather like Hot Rod made mention of.

Re the CDL, they vary from one location to another.  It takes time and money, upwards of 4k$ here I was told.  Amongst many other items, it teaches you how to turn corners and how close to follow the vehicle in front.

I wish we could have met when I passed thru Vegas 3 weeks ago, I sent 2 messages but got no replies.  I'd have been happy to stay another day and go thru some of this.

4 minutes ago, rdickinson said:

Re the coolant reservoir, I had to replace mine a couple of months ago.  The fittings click into place, no clamps. Make sure the one on the top as well as the one at the bottom are clicked into place.  Both have black hoses attached. The one at the bottom has the sensor.  That is the one that as leaking.  As I recall there were other issues inside the tank which could not be seen.

The whole unit needed to be replaced, 450$ plus labor of 1-2 hrs.  We tried all sorts of ideas to get out of replacing it but no luck.  If there was one, it would be mickey mouse.

I also pack  about 5 gallons of water in the passengers storage area where the A frame for the winch goes..

After speaking to a number of different firms and individuals, I limit myself to Serpentine belt and fuel filters.  I may not be able to change the belt but a mobile tech or truck stop could thereby eliminating the wait for parts to come in.

I do a full Pre trip before departure on a long trip, do a walk around at every pit stop and each day when on the road do a more thorough check .  Rather like Hot Rod made mention of.

Re the CDL, they vary from one location to another.  It takes time and money, upwards of 4k$ here I was told.  Amongst many other items, it teaches you how to turn corners and how close to follow the vehicle in front.

I wish we could have met when I passed thru Vegas 3 weeks ago, I sent 2 messages but got no replies.  I'd have been happy to stay another day and go thru some of this.

The coolant reservoir issues are pretty classic. Once you damage or lose a nipple - as Roger describes - you are pretty much done. A replacement is required. You can MacGyver it up, but nothing I have ever seen or tried has helped for very long. These are classic "aged out" repairs. Over time the plastic and other parts simply decay.  These are the types of things to look for on your truck, and plan on replacing before failure. They WILL fail. If you plan on keeping the truck it is best to start hitting the common stuff before it goes. Pre-emptive maintenance. 

I often get criticized for this by a portion of the HDT community - suggesting it is a "waste of good money". Perhaps. But better than roadside "maintenance". No, you cannot get everything, and good judgement is required. But hose and fitting failures are common and a keen eye needs to be applied to them on older trucks. Or trucks just acquired. 

Just my opinion.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

5 minutes ago, rdickinson said:

I am sorry we did not meet up, my wife had issues with a mug off coffee and a laptop computer. New computer and a little bit of her telling me we needed new coffee cups somehow turned out to be my fault instead of hers. Oh Well live and learn. You know it seems like at 45 I should have lived long enough and learned enough that I don't have to deal with it any more.

I have my papers that show what my cummins n14 can be modified. I don't know about the Volvo. I believe the school busses have the auto shut downs disabled so they are not left stranded in the roadway. As someone said, with air loss your brakes will come on. Some people think they will slam on and you will lose control at spead. I used to take my airmen on a gravel road in a bus and have them pull the yellow knob. The wheels don't lock up and it is a very controlled stop. The Volvo dealer may be able to provide a list of perimeters on your computer but it is very long. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Corry,

In your original post you wrote:

I have been driving my semi now since March going on short runs here and there - 100 mile round trip runs Pahrump NV and  back, Indian Springs and back and my confidence was really building. I was almost home when this happened and now I am almost scared to drive it. When the Volvo shut down, it shut down. I was told I could have received a $3000.00 for lane obstruction and if an accident would have happened because of me I would have been held liable for that also. In some ways I am scared to drive it now, who says I won't be stranded on the road side out of commission again?”

Now for what I am about to say it may seem offensive in some ways but I know from where I come from here.

Back in the stone age I made a poor choice and as fairly direct results a man died needlessly.

I had a fairly nice pressurized twin engine airplane for sale but the market for aircraft was depressed and profits were slim to none. I had the price of the twin at my cost but only a few tire kickers were calling. Every once in a while a fellow from NY would call and bend my ear for a hour of more about the twin but I discounted him as a tire kicker…...then 3 days before Christmas the guy calls and says “I'll pay your asking price BUT I want to surprise my family with a ride in the airplane on Christmas day”.

Now the airplane was in Central Oregon and the weather was dismal over the entire U S but…….IF….I could sell the twin I guess I would take a chance. I ask how we could fund the sale and he said he had the full asking price in Cash…...gulp…. (but back in those days cash was not that bad) so…..I had early Christmas with my kids and Grumps drove me to the hanger in a blizzard and tried to talk me out of the trip……

I filed a light plan and charged off into grim weather and landed in Indy for a couple hours nap and then blasted off to meet the new owner in Boston. At 10:00 Christmas morning I landed in Boston and sure enough here was the customer with his wife and two kids AND his company pilot. At once everyone started looking the new toy over and seemed delighted so the new owner said “lets all go for a ride” ……..I was a bit tired but what the heck here we go…..I thought the new owner would want to fly right seat (copilot) but he said let Bill (company pilot) fly right seat…...whatever so off we go for a short ride in somewhat improved weather.

After we land the owner send his wife and kids home and then said he wanted to fly the twin himself and he wanted left  seat…...humm….I thought about that for a moment but thought what heck he is likely OK so I agreed to let him have left seat…..

I helped him start the engines and get the aircraft configured for taxi and take off and I had a sense that this guy was not very sharp and during the take off I basically had to help him more than I should have…...this twin was not hard to fly but it did need a firm hand.

By the time I had the landing gear retracted I had a sinking feeling that this guy was a very poor pilot and he man handled the twin in the worst ways……

We jolted and jerked around the Boston airspace and thankfully Christmas morning we were allowed fair latitude by approach control. When it come time to land he could not bother with the check list but I did when he forgot to deploy the landing gear so finally I demanded control of the aircraft and we landed.

The “prospective owner” was a bit miffed that I had taken control of the aircraft from him but I was not in the least bit concerned since I had decided that I was not selling the twin to him and I told him so……

When I told him that I would not sell the twin to him he got really upset…...his pilot turned white and ran to the bathroom of the hanger and locked the door. The prospective owner said HE was going to buy the twin and we had a deal…….I said the twin was way over his limited skill level and he said well maybe the company pilot could ride with him and teach him…...I said NO that plan was not going to work.

He paced back and forth for a few moments and then pointed his finger at me and said I ALWAYS get whatever I want and I want this airplane what do I have to do to make you sell this airplane to me…….

I was a bit taken back so I said well……..You would write me a letter agreeing to NEVER fly this airplane until you completed initial full simulator training at the worlds best simulator school for this model……...he smiled and said……..great, sounds like fun, lets go count the money…..

His wife typed a letter that stated he would not fly the twin until he attended sim-school and then we counted a ton of $100 bills and had a nice Christmas dinner and then he had his two limo drivers drop me off at Logan for a flight back home…….

Three weeks after he got out of sim-school he killed himself in the twin at his home airport in perfect weather…….

He attended the BEST sim—school on earth and…...failed even with overtime instruction.

So whats my point here?

Well I knew this guy was not any kind of pilot and way way over his head in the twin…….I knew that in just a short flight…….BUT…..I let him bend my judgment and I took a low path and let him sell me instead of me holding my ground and then I passed my responsibility off on to the sim-school and that was flaky at best.

But here is the real deal here …….in the sim—school they hammer you about “situational-awareness” and that is where you stay aware of whats going on around you and when things start to go wrong you have to take care of the problem(s) …...BUT…...you also have to focus out and still fly the darn aircraft……..

Corry, listen to yourself…….if your dream scares you, stand back and focus out and reconsider your “situational-awareness”……

You have a impressive formal education and likely very qualified at your work so likely you have a comfort level.

Now I made a huge mistake selling the twin to the buyer. Some folks have told me that the guy was unteachable so he would likely have killed himself in some other aircraft had I declined to sell him the twin, but that does not hold water at the end of the day. I had a gut feeling and hardly a day passes that I wish I had better “situational-awareness” that Christmas day,

I would suggest that these trucks are not for everyone and sometimes we might best rethink our dreams whenever they become “scary”..

Drive on……...(or stop and …..ponder)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

The light on your dash, is the Traction Control System (TCS).   It is something that you will want to fix, but not as high a priority as the air or coolant leaks.

Just remember what I told you about the young bull and the old bull.  As well as remembering to stop and take a breath and you will be fine.

In your situation, the $2,500.00 for the formal instruction, will be money well spent.  If it helps, it should also be tax deductible.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

5 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

Corry,

In your original post you wrote:

I have been driving my semi now since March going on short runs here and there - 100 mile round trip runs Pahrump NV and  back, Indian Springs and back and my confidence was really building. I was almost home when this happened and now I am almost scared to drive it. When the Volvo shut down, it shut down. I was told I could have received a $3000.00 for lane obstruction and if an accident would have happened because of me I would have been held liable for that also. In some ways I am scared to drive it now, who says I won't be stranded on the road side out of commission again?”

Now for what I am about to say it may seem offensive in some ways but I know from where I come from here.

Back in the stone age I made a poor choice and as fairly direct results a man died needlessly.

I had a fairly nice pressurized twin engine airplane for sale but the market for aircraft was depressed and profits were slim to none. I had the price of the twin at my cost but only a few tire kickers were calling. Every once in a while a fellow from NY would call and bend my ear for a hour of more about the twin but I discounted him as a tire kicker…...then 3 days before Christmas the guy calls and says “I'll pay your asking price BUT I want to surprise my family with a ride in the airplane on Christmas day”.

Now the airplane was in Central Oregon and the weather was dismal over the entire U S but…….IF….I could sell the twin I guess I would take a chance. I ask how we could fund the sale and he said he had the full asking price in Cash…...gulp…. (but back in those days cash was not that bad) so…..I had early Christmas with my kids and Grumps drove me to the hanger in a blizzard and tried to talk me out of the trip……

I filed a light plan and charged off into grim weather and landed in Indy for a couple hours nap and then blasted off to meet the new owner in Boston. At 10:00 Christmas morning I landed in Boston and sure enough here was the customer with his wife and two kids AND his company pilot. At once everyone started looking the new toy over and seemed delighted so the new owner said “lets all go for a ride” ……..I was a bit tired but what the heck here we go…..I thought the new owner would want to fly right seat (copilot) but he said let Bill (company pilot) fly right seat…...whatever so off we go for a short ride in somewhat improved weather.

After we land the owner send his wife and kids home and then said he wanted to fly the twin himself and he wanted left  seat…...humm….I thought about that for a moment but thought what heck he is likely OK so I agreed to let him have left seat…..

I helped him start the engines and get the aircraft configured for taxi and take off and I had a sense that this guy was not very sharp and during the take off I basically had to help him more than I should have…...this twin was not hard to fly but it did need a firm hand.

By the time I had the landing gear retracted I had a sinking feeling that this guy was a very poor pilot and he man handled the twin in the worst ways……

We jolted and jerked around the Boston airspace and thankfully Christmas morning we were allowed fair latitude by approach control. When it come time to land he could not bother with the check list but I did when he forgot to deploy the landing gear so finally I demanded control of the aircraft and we landed.

The “prospective owner” was a bit miffed that I had taken control of the aircraft from him but I was not in the least bit concerned since I had decided that I was not selling the twin to him and I told him so……

When I told him that I would not sell the twin to him he got really upset…...his pilot turned white and ran to the bathroom of the hanger and locked the door. The prospective owner said HE was going to buy the twin and we had a deal…….I said the twin was way over his limited skill level and he said well maybe the company pilot could ride with him and teach him…...I said NO that plan was not going to work.

He paced back and forth for a few moments and then pointed his finger at me and said I ALWAYS get whatever I want and I want this airplane what do I have to do to make you sell this airplane to me…….

I was a bit taken back so I said well……..You would write me a letter agreeing to NEVER fly this airplane until you completed initial full simulator training at the worlds best simulator school for this model……...he smiled and said……..great, sounds like fun, lets go count the money…..

His wife typed a letter that stated he would not fly the twin until he attended sim-school and then we counted a ton of $100 bills and had a nice Christmas dinner and then he had his two limo drivers drop me off at Logan for a flight back home…….

Three weeks after he got out of sim-school he killed himself in the twin at his home airport in perfect weather…….

He attended the BEST sim—school on earth and…...failed even with overtime instruction.

So whats my point here?

Well I knew this guy was not any kind of pilot and way way over his head in the twin…….I knew that in just a short flight…….BUT…..I let him bend my judgment and I took a low path and let him sell me instead of me holding my ground and then I passed my responsibility off on to the sim-school and that was flaky at best.

But here is the real deal here …….in the sim—school they hammer you about “situational-awareness” and that is where you stay aware of whats going on around you and when things start to go wrong you have to take care of the problem(s) …...BUT…...you also have to focus out and still fly the darn aircraft……..

Corry, listen to yourself…….if your dream scares you, stand back and focus out and reconsider your “situational-awareness”……

You have a impressive formal education and likely very qualified at your work so likely you have a comfort level.

Now I made a huge mistake selling the twin to the buyer. Some folks have told me that the guy was unteachable so he would likely have killed himself in some other aircraft had I declined to sell him the twin, but that does not hold water at the end of the day. I had a gut feeling and hardly a day passes that I wish I had better “situational-awareness” that Christmas day,

I would suggest that these trucks are not for everyone and sometimes we might best rethink our dreams whenever they become “scary”..

Drive on……...(or stop and …..ponder)

Dolly I understand what you are saying but it is not the mechanics of understanding how to drive the truck, I am not scared of the driving part, Flyer gave me a great education on the way back from Floriday and I am very comfortable behind the wheel, but what scares me is being half way between here and Caldwell Idaho and the truck falling to pieces even if I take it into volvo and have them go over it with a fine tooth comb. I grew up in Farm country driving large machinery, not driving skills that have me worried it is mechanical know how. Flyer can tell you I had to navigate road construction, mountains in west Texas, Tunnels and bridges along with city traffic, gas pumps and a very narrow and small parking lot in a mom and pop burger joint in San Antonio Texas along with make a left turn on a busy street with out the aide of a stop light.

I know I have a lot to learn but I am willing to learn, Maybe if you are at the west coast rally you can give me some pointers. It sounds like I could learn a lot from you and would be in your debt, then maybe 25 years from now I can pass on those same pointers to somebody who is like me. I started in Schutzhund about 4 or 5 years ago with a German Shepherd who was not cut out for the sport and I was scared of Dogs. I am now a decoy who gets bitten every Saturday and Monday and our household went from one German Shepherd to soon to be four. I did this by jumping in head first and giving it everything I had. Flyer was also the first person to train me with dog handling skills.

My point is I am a stubborn Italian and I never give up. My temper at times gets the best of me but I learn pretty quickly. As I learn the systems of the truck I will be more confident. I feel the same way about my Toyota Tundra and pulling my current bumper tow but I do it anyway, I learn as I go.

Once again I would love to learn from you and get your advice, I hope to talk with you at some rally some day.

Later,

Cory O

Archived