Need Help Rating 5 'ers for storm victims!!

Friends of ours had their house almost completely destroyed in the tornadoes around Canton a couple of weeks ago and are now going to be homeless for probably a year while they haggle with the insurance company and then re-construct their house.They are looking at buying a fifth wheel to live in during this process and also to use afterward to do some camping in. They have three children (ages 9, 8 and 7)...I did tons of research on Class A's when we were looking for our RV but I know absolutely nothing about 5'ers except for what little I have read on these forums. From what I gather they, like Class A's, come in a large range of quality (and price). which manufacturers would you rate as good, fair, poor or great (in quality)?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 hours ago, coachmac9 said:

Friends of ours had their house almost completely destroyed in the tornadoes around Canton a couple of weeks ago and are now going to be homeless for probably a year 

We live only about 20 minutes from Canton and I'd be happy to help a storm victim, if possible. Send me a PM if there is something that I may be able to do to help. I could make then a checklist or two, show them how to check the appliances to see that they work, and any number of other things if it helps. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

They have a 1 ton dually to pull the RV with...Kirk, thanks, I will talk with them later on in the week and see exactly what type of information would help them.

Budget wise, I think they are ok with a fiver in the higher price bracket if that's what they have to spend to get a decent quality fiver. They just don't want to spend money on something that will fall apart on the drive home. They will not be moving it around much, in fact it might be at one location for the entire time they are getting their house fixed/re-built.

If you do a search in the forum you will find several threads inquiring about recommended fifth wheels with tons of info and suggestions.         Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

2 hours ago, Big Greg said:

If you do a search in the forum you will find several threads inquiring about recommended fifth wheels with tons of info and suggestions.         Greg

But, sometimes that information is too old and newbies aren't likely to recognize that. Myself, I prefer current data.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Sorry I took so long in up-dating this thread...thanks so much to all who responded!! My friends are still in a battle with the insurance company about the house and the insurance company will only pay for a rental RV while the house is either torn down and rebuilt or repaired...long story short they are in for a long battle, I am afraid!!

I believe it is typical for an insurance company to pay only for temporary housing while a home is being repaired. Why should they buy a "permanent" RV? We had friends lose a home to fire and insurance paid for  9 months of house rental for them.  

Perhaps they could negotiate a fixed sum for their temporary housing and apply it toward the RV of their choice. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Archived