Dish service when going fulltime...

We will be out of our house and into the trailer on 5/30. We have had Dish service at home (hopper/joeys) and a Winegard Carryout/211z receiver in the trailer. Things work pretty well as we go on trips, but now that we won't have house service, what do we do to continue Dish service thru the Carryout?

This has probably been answered sometime back, but not good at searching past posts.  Any advice will surely be helpful and appreciated.

Have just gotten mail-forwarding set up thru Escapees, at least that part is underway...

Joe

There is no requirement to have a house unit. All Dish cares about is an address that is "home" for billing purposes. If you want you can change your service address(I think you still can)  as you cross the country so you can get the local stations. Some people do that, we don't. If we want locals we go OTA.

I have Directv so it may be slightly different for Dish. But close enough.  With Directv we sign up for what is referred to as the "national" stations. This means the East or West coast, dependent on your zip code. By getting the national stations we don't need to change anything on our recording schedule once we are set up for rving. We are lazy. I assume Dish has a similar option.

2 hours ago, jblo said:

We will be out of our house and into the trailer on 5/30. We have had Dish service at home (hopper/joeys) and a Winegard Carryout/211z receiver in the trailer. Things work pretty well as we go on trips, but now that we won't have house service, what do we do to continue Dish service thru the Carryout?

This has probably been answered sometime back, but not good at searching past posts.  Any advice will surely be helpful and appreciated.

Have just gotten mail-forwarding set up thru Escapees, at least that part is underway...

Joe

You can keep your Hopper and Joey if you want, but you don't have to.  Many people, even non-RV'ers, have service with a single VIP receiver.  If you want to keep your Hopper and Joey you can, but you will have to use a different type of dish than the Carryout.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

8 minutes ago, SWharton said:

There is no requirement to have a house unit. All Dish cares about is an address that is "home" for billing purposes. If you want you can change your service address(I think you still can)  as you cross the country so you can get the local stations. Some people do that, we don't. If we want locals we go OTA.

I have Directv so it may be slightly different for Dish. But close enough.  With Directv we sign up for what is referred to as the "national" stations. This means the East or West coast, dependent on your zip code. By getting the national stations we don't need to change anything on our recording schedule once we are set up for rving. We are lazy. I assume Dish has a similar option.

DISH does not offer the national stations like Direct TV.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

We have a Hopper 3 and two Joeys and full-time, no house anywhere.  

To use a Hopper, you should have a automatic roof Winegard Trav'ler or a ground tripod DPP 1000.2.  Hoppers and Domes just don't play well.

Dish does not have DNS (Distance Networks Services) like DirecTV because Dish has locals in every DMA (Direct Marketing Area), unlike DirecTV.  Changing Locals has become a 5 minute proposition and they are HD.  Better that the old SD DNS setup.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Dish Network allows you to change your service address as you travel, which gives you the local channels from a major city in whatever area you are located. 

We go to  Mydish.com  click on "contact us" and select the chat session. You have to give them your email address and pin # and usually within a minute or so a customer service rep replies.

I have a doc on my computer worded like this:

We are in a RV and have changed our location. Please change my Service Address but do NOT change my billing address. Also please change my local channels to the new address----

13500 Central Ave SW #124C
Albuquerque, NM    87121

Usually, but not always with in about 5-15 minutes the old local channels go away and you need to reset your receiver to get the new locals. 

BTW the address above is an RV park in Albuquerque, but we have never stayed there.  I am pretty sure that there is no RV parking space of #124C.  I try to be sure to not give an address where there could be a current Dish customer. 

Note:  The local channel spot beam for Abq. pretty much covers the entire state except for the SE corner.  So once you have the Abq. locals, you can move anywhere, and as many times as you want and always get the local channels. 

Here is a link to Abq. local channel spot beam coverage.

Here is a link to the webpage to see the coverage for anywhere in the USA, including Alaska.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

We have been using the Winegard Traveler 1000 for Dish for 4 years and it works really well for us.

Here is link to Amazon.com where it is for sale for $1340 and free shipping.  Amazon has it on sale 2-3 times a year for about $1250.  I also saw it on sale at Camping World for about $1250 earlier this year.

Or you can go to Amazon.com and search for "dish network satellite dish" and buy just a dish for about $60 and then buy a tripod and cable and manually set up and aim the dish.  Amazon also has a package for sale for $135.

If you don't move very often the dish & tripod works really well.  We move a lot seldom staying more than a week or two in one spot so the Traveler works really well for us.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

5 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Hoppers and Domes just don't play well.

Mark,

Why is this? You are saying a Carryout won't work without having a home unit? Or what is the problem?

Thanks,

Joe

There is only a single LNBF inside a dome.  When the Hopper is doing the Switch Check, the three tuners are firing satellite select signals to all three satellites which drives the domes crazy as the single LNBF is constantly swinging between the satellites.  On rare cases, the Hopper may not time out before the Switch Check is done.  But it usually does timeout.

The triple headed Trav'ler and ground tripod DPP 1000.2 dish do not have to move to select a satellite as all three are in focus at the same time.

Nothing to do where the Hopper is, it is the hardware.  

For 7 years, I nightly setup a ground tripod Disk DPP 1000.2 and a Hughesnet satellite internet dish, even for one night stops.  Good tools simplify a manual dish setup and no, a single LNBF dish is not easier to setup.  There is only one more adjustment for three satellites compared a one.

We have a Trav'ler now but still use the ground tripod for trees or being in the East.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

How is it that the Carryout works otherwise? Pardon my goofiness, but I am technically challenged. It has worked fine previously doing the switch checks, and as far as I know, it is a single LNB. The reason I have the Carryout is because I could NEVER get a dish manually lined up on a tripod....

Thanks,

Joe

The Carryout only works with receivers that have the correct software installed to operate it, physically aiming the LNB at each satellite as needed for the selected channel. The Dish 211 series receivers have that capability, the Hopper series do not.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

6 hours ago, Al F said:

BTW the address above is an RV park in Albuquerque, but we have never stayed there.  I am pretty sure that there is no RV parking space of #124C.  I try to be sure to not give an address where there could be a current Dish customer. 

I have never bothered to give a site number. I simply give them the main address of the RV park and I have never had an issue. You have already told them you are in an RV so why lie and make up info? Do you really think they have a "one dish per RV park" rule? 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

10 minutes ago, Big5er said:

I have never bothered to give a site number. I simply give them the main address of the RV park and I have never had an issue. You have already told them you are in an RV so why lie and make up info? Do you really think they have a "one dish per RV park" rule? 

As I recall some years back, the Dish computer system would balk if they tried to input the same address for more than one account. That's no longer the case though, and I no longer give them a site number either.

Dutch

Dutch,

I have the 211z receiver in the trailer, but the hopper is in the house. So, will the Carryout work with just the 211z? Or do I have to take the hopper also? Is it going to do any good to call Dish and ask them, 'cause a lot of the times they just don't understand portable sat antennas.

Thanks,

Joe

Th 211z is  standalone receiver. The Hopper is not needed to use it, nor does it need to be on your account. Many of us have had only a 211 with no other receiver on our accounts. We started with a 211K, but have since sold it and upgraded to two Hopper w/Slings. We usually leave one of the Hoppers at our small Adirondack getaway cottage so it can record programs we would otherwise miss while underway for later viewing with the Dish Anywhere app.

Dutch

The easy solution is to go to one receiver, your 211 and your portable automatic dish. Put your acount on paperless billing so when you change locals your account goes to that address, you will be paperless so it makes no difference where you are billed from, your billing will change a small amount each month depending on sales tax.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

jblo is going full-time and not camping.  He has been used to the features of a Hopper in his house. Having a Hopper enhances your lifestyle because you become independent of TV show timing.

With that is mind, jblo should consider taking his Hopper into the RV and getting a dish that supports the Hopper.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

1 hour ago, D&J said:

Put your acount on paperless billing so when you change locals your account goes to that address, you will be paperless so it makes no difference where you are billed from,

While I agree with paperless billing, when you change your locals, all you are changing is the *service* address, not the *billing* address.  So, even if you received paper bills, they would continue to be sent to your billing address.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

7 minutes ago, LindaH said:

While I agree with paperless billing, when you change your locals, all you are changing is the *service* address, not the *billing* address.  So, even if you received paper bills, they would continue to be sent to your billing address.

Just make sure when you change the service address that the CSR doesn't also change the billing address. It seems to be a fairly common error that occurs no matter how times we tell them "service address NOT billing address". The error is easily caught and corrected online with your MyDish account though.

Dutch

12 hours ago, Big5er said:

Good suggestion, not giving a site number.  I'll do that next time.

As far as "one dish per RV park"....If a long term RV Park resident is registered with Dish, they should give the site # as part of their address.  This would be necessary if you needed a Dish service tech come out.  Same as if you were in an apartment, you would give your apartment number as part of your address.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

1 hour ago, LindaH said:

If I could just get the Dish CSR to not change the billing address when they change the service address.  Luckily the charge to my credit card doesn't get rejected even though the billing address on the Dish computer is not the address on my CC.

I believe that when the CSR changes the service address the computer defaults to a check mark that the billing address is the same as service address.  The CSR has to take the extra step to uncheck that box. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Been using chat for changing Service Address since DNS went away a couple of years ago.  Only once in the early days did the CSR change my Billing Address with the Service Address and that was on the phone..  For the last couple of years, not a hiccup using Chat.

Chat makes for clear communication from me and the CSR.   I have a script similar to AI F.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

5 hours ago, Al F said:

As far as "one dish per RV park"....If a long term RV Park resident is registered with Dish, they should give the site # as part of their address.  This would be necessary if you needed a Dish service tech come out.  Same as if you were in an apartment, you would give your apartment number as part of your address.

You are absolutely right Al. Wasn't thinking about that. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived