The Geo Method

DKRITTER

4 minutes ago, Pappy Yokum said:

No clue whether that cleaned his tank or not.

Not cleaning, only the slopping about. I would expect that to at least help to clean a black tank with water & detergent, or at least that has always been my theory. 

It sounds like you have probably driven more partially filled tanks than I. Return trips used to often have a partial tank and my other was with a water tank on a farm/ranch truck, neither of which did I do for 30 years.  :P Some of those old water tanks didn't even have baffles in them, but neither do your RV waste tanks.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

50 minutes ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Kirk -

Yes - I've always read the "contents" of water softeners, including the contents of both Calgon and others, like White Rain.

So, can't argue the merits -or lack thereof-  of that one!  Or- the DILUTED strength of same when poured in a black tank.  

Guess I'll have to tell the DW to stop using water softener and laundry detergent for home laundry. Wouldn't want chemically contaminated clothes touching my body!

The bottom line (as I posted) was essentially -like everyone has said- use plenty of water.... and GEO Method - IF YOU'RE SO INCLINED.

Different strokes for different folks!  Whatever works for you.

Pappy, your clothes are 'chemicals' - actually just vibrating atoms with huge (on a nuclear scale) spaces between each atom.  Notice that the primary ingredient of the 'Geo" method is WATER.  So save a few pennies and just use water.  Take those pennies and by which ever beverage you like in the afternoons and you will be increasing the amount of water going into the tank - a win-win situation.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Kirk -

(and Barb - see "bottom line)

Usually the Engine companies 400 gal tanks were utilized for smaller fires like trash, cars, etc. - or - a fast attack by hand lines until a hydrant supply was established. When used on those incipient fires, It would then be immediately refilled at a convenient hydrant - and ready to go to/for the next event.

Likewise, on-going training activities (such as)  utilizing tank water until a supply was established (two 1 3/4" hand lines flowing approx 100-125 gpm = 2 minutes)  resulted in frequent tank "refills". 

An Engineer (pump operator/driver) where I worked was expected to accomplish that (tank supply to hydrant supply) with an un-interrupted water supply to the guy/s on the nozzle/s. (yes, there are now gals on the nozzles also, LOL)

The only "additives" (such as AFFF)  were introduced "somewhere" in the hose line close to the nozzle by an eductor, rather than *in* the tank.

Our "Water Buffalo" had a permanently mounted 50 gal tank of AFFF, which was piped to proportioning valves for several hand lines and a deck monitor. - so, all those tanks were just.....water.

Never saw any residue - which sure would be bad karma at the nozzles.

So, guess the moral of the story is, if you use LOTS of water in YOUR tank, it will/should be clean, with no residue!

On edit - BTW - Sheesh! - None of the "suggestions" answered the OP's question of how much liquid Calgon to use with the GEO Method!!

16 minutes ago, Pappy Yokum said:

On edit - BTW - Sheesh! - None of the "suggestions" answered the OP's question of how much liquid Calgon to use with the GEO Method!!

True, but most of the answers seem to have pointed to "none?"

Pappy, not sure why you think there is a similarity between water tanks on a fire truck and a black tank.   And you are talking about nozzle outlets, not 3" hose outlet.  You forgot that the water from the truck is moved via pumps at high pressure, and we do not know the corrosiveness of the individual waters systems and the effect they have on nozzles - again no correlation to black tanks which are empty via gravity, nor the individual position of those black tanks in different RVs. 

Question is why are you so insistent that there is something magical about the "Geo" method?  It is just water plus some surfactant.  Cheaper way is to use a tub in the sink to wash dishes and dump a tub full of water after dishes are down (make sure valve is closed in case of a stray spoon ;)) into the toliet once or twice a week.  As much surfactant as you need for a black tank and it doesn't cost any extra.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

It works because you use plenty of water.  A tub full of dishwater (after doing the dishes) will do as much and won't cost you anything extra.   But feel free to do as you want, just realize it works for you BECAUSE OF THE WATER. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 5/21/2017 at 10:24 PM, Tahoe Shark said:

Probably a dumb question but how do you not put paper in the black tank?

Probably the same way its not done in Mexico.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 5/22/2017 at 3:27 PM, Barbaraok said:

Pappy, not sure why you think there is a similarity between water tanks on a fire truck and a black tank.   And you are talking about nozzle outlets, not 3" hose outlet.  You forgot that the water from the truck is moved via pumps at high pressure, and we do not know the corrosiveness of the individual waters systems and the effect they have on nozzles - again no correlation to black tanks which are empty via gravity, nor the individual position of those black tanks in different RVs. 

Question is why are you so insistent that there is something magical about the "Geo" method?  It is just water plus some surfactant.  Cheaper way is to use a tub in the sink to wash dishes and dump a tub full of water after dishes are down (make sure valve is closed in case of a stray spoon ;)) into the toliet once or twice a week.  As much surfactant as you need for a black tank and it doesn't cost any extra.

Think you need to re-read what I posted.

*NEVER* indicated anything "magical" about the GEO method!!

Kirk introduced the somewhat "off topic" of residue in half/full (or half/empty) fire apparatus tanks.

BTW - the National Foam guy drinking some of his product......."don't know if that cleaned his tank" - was a PUN !  (*HIS* "internal" tank - as *in* his body!   It may have become a  *black* tank after some of those "cocktails")

On 5/21/2017 at 6:23 AM, DKRITTER said:

We are going to try the Geo Method and have a silly question regarding liquid Calgon. Hard water is not an issue where we live so most stores do not even sell Calgon, the only place we have found only sells liquid Calgon.

The Google site says to dissolve 2 cups of powder per tank. Reading the box on Amazon that is about 4 times more than it says to use in one load of laundry. So, I now have a basis to go on, I think. The liquid says use one cap per laundry load so, I guess I’ll use 4 capfulls per tank.

Question for the experienced Geo Method folks is this an accurate assumption?

Should have added the caveat when answering your question.....

Been RVing in various self-contained RVs (with black tanks) since 1970.

I have used the GEO Method - when I felt so inclined - from whenever I first heard of it.  When I did that, I (and lots of other folks) eventually encountered  problems finding Calgon *powder*.

Along with other techniques for cleaning tanks, it worked.  Did I have a preference - (including a preference over "just water")...not really.

Most simply switched to Calgon liquid.  The liquid is/was actually more convenient than the powder.  About a *cup* of liquid was a "guesstimate" posted many years ago (not by me).

Along with other techniques for cleaning tanks, it worked.  Did/do I have a preference - including a preference over "just water"?  Not really - and indicated same...kinda - "whatever rings your chimes!"

It's *AMAZING* what a controversial subject, and "spin-off" topics your question has raised!

No doubt, to GEO -or not to GEO- is right up there with "what brand of tires should I buy?"   (I was going to say what brand of "toilet tissue" - but that might open the flood gates here - - or block 'em up!!)

8 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Kirk introduced the somewhat "off topic" of residue in half/full (or half/empty) fire apparatus tanks.

I really regret that too since I foolishly thought that it would reference only the way liquids will slop about inside a partially filled tank of any type while traveling down the road.  Let's let it drop and get back on subject? 

Some folks say that a particular method works .

Exactly , how would they 'know' that ? Do they have a camera mounted inside of the the tank or have they  cut a door in the tank to be able to see inside or ??? 

I don't use anything except plenty of water . I'm just guessing that works fine as we've never had any type of blockage or backup in the black tank . I do know a spoon just happened to disappear down the throat of our commode , once . That occurred , while 'adding' dish water to supposedly help clean the tank , very early in our FT experiences . Thankfully , that spoon has not decided to create a problem . 

Goes around , comes around .

12 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Some folks say that a particular method works .

Exactly , how would they 'know' that ? Do they have a camera mounted inside of the the tank or have they  cut a door in the tank to be able to see inside or ???

Some claim GEO cleans non-functioning tank sensors.

Personally, I have never relied on the tank sensors. - except for fresh water tank.  Never had any "surprises" from gray or black.

Inside the tank?  - Xlnt challenge for a Go-pro camera mounted on a ???

I

9 minutes ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Some claim GEO cleans non-functioning tank sensors.

Personally, I have never relied on the tank sensors. - except for fresh water tank.  Never had any "surprises" from gray or black.

Inside the tank?  - Xlnt challenge for a Go-pro camera mounted on a ???

I

We'll use your GoPro . :D

4 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

As long as you get it done while still under warranty - so it can be returned and re-sold as refurbished, LOL!

Post results to YouTube as....... "Poop-Cam"??..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

That would likely get a lot more views than one would think . Maybe we should do it just to see how many views we could get and not worry about whether the tank actually got clean . :wacko::D

Archived